Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Those are real issues families are sometimes dealing with in our current culture.

In the original show Darlene was a angst ridden goth and her boyfriend was a wuss. Then they had to deal with her pregnancy. This is just a new batch of issues this family is facing.
I know, but how many right wing threads have we had here on C-D mocking gender fluidity and transgendered people, calling them freaks and attention whores? The Conners are accepting of Mark's cross dressing, and agree he should be allowed to "be who he is." Show me one right winger on this board who agrees with that.

My point is that yes, Rosanne voted for Trump, but overall, the show leans much more to the left than to the right in their viewpoints. And it always has.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:14 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
You know, it’s funny how Trump supporters base the popularity of their president on the ratings of a television show yet refuse to even consider the significance of recent elections results as an indicator for political popularity. The high ratings of Rosanne could be due to any number of factors other than how people may or may not feel about Trump. It could be curiosity due to a classic TV sitcom returning from the dustbin or it could be there are hard core Rosanne fans out there that are thrilled to see the show again, much like with the new seasons of the X-Files. It might not necessarily have anything to do with Trump at all. I wouldn’t base my perception of a politician that I support on a TV show. That’s just being naïve.

To Trump supporters the high ratings for the premier of the Rosanne show indicate without a doubt that the popularity of their president is at an all time high. At the same time, they find all sorts of excuses as to why the recent victories of Democratic candidates in traditionally red districts is in no way related to the popularity of candidates who oppose Trump and the GOP agenda. I’d much rather judge the popularity of unpopularity of a politician or agenda based on real world data like election results as opposed to the imaginary world of a TV show.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:18 AM

17,987 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am not going to comment on the content/return of the Roseanne show, episode 1, because I haven't seen it yet. If you have, and want to talk about the episode's content, please use the Hide/Show. I'll watch it tonight On Demand. But, the premiere, 21 years after the original show ended, had YUGE ratings last night.

"The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49. According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014). In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels."

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings | EW.com

The Conners are a working class family of deplorable Trump supporters. That makes them (the fictional Conner family) unique on TV these days. (Roseanne, the actress and a producer, is also a Trump supporter.)

Are you surprised?

What's your take on this? Feel free to comment on any aspect of why you think the show had jaw dropping ratings success? Do you think it is only curiosity about the first episode of a returning show or is the show filling a void for a large group of people (Trump supporters - blue collar midwest family) who are underrepresented on TV? I don't recall what kind of ratings Will and Grace got when they returned to TV. Are we going to see more TV shows like this or don't they (Hollywood) have writers who can write it?

You also might want to read about what the liberal producers who are not Roseanne had to say?

Why Roseanne is not a liberal mouthpiece and Mark's tricky story line | EW.com

I'm putting it here instead of the television sub-forum because I only want to talk about the political connection to Trump supporters not the acting or the episode 1 story.

Pro-Trump 'Roseanne' Reboot Thanks God for Making America Great Again
Hey Jackie, maybe you'll want to take a knee.

=)

Notice the homeowners aka nest-builders are the ones who voted for Trump. The free-loaders, credit-takers and surrogate shysters are just there for the free food, room, and board.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:19 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Roseanne was popular outside of Trump. That's why it ran for 9 years. Since Trump is obsessed with TV ratings he tries to imply that the high ratings of the show are because of his high approval and support. Wrong again Trump! I'm not a Trump support and either my family but we love the Roseanne sitcom. I know folks that are supporters of Trump that don't like the sitcom.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I know, but how many right wing threads have we had here on C-D mocking gender fluidity and transgendered people, calling them freaks and attention whores? The Conners are accepting of Mark's cross dressing, and agree he should be allowed to "be who he is." Show me one right winger on this board who agrees with that.

My point is that yes, Rosanne voted for Trump, but overall, the show leans much more to the left than to the right in their viewpoints. And it always has.
I'm a right winger and I agree that he should be "allowed" (strange word) to be who he is. If you read my previous post you would have known that but you'd rather just attack. The point is no one can stop him and in the show they were concerned about his safety.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You know, it’s funny how Trump supporters base the popularity of their president on the ratings of a television show yet refuse to even consider the significance of recent elections results as an indicator for political popularity. The high ratings of Rosanne could be due to any number of factors other than how people may or may not feel about Trump. It could be curiosity due to a classic TV sitcom returning from the dustbin or it could be there are hard core Rosanne fans out there that are thrilled to see the show again, much like with the new seasons of the X-Files. It might not necessarily have anything to do with Trump at all. I wouldn’t base my perception of a politician that I support on a TV show. That’s just being naïve.

To Trump supporters the high ratings for the premier of the Rosanne show indicate without a doubt that the popularity of their president is at an all time high. At the same time, they find all sorts of excuses as to why the recent victories of Democratic candidates in traditionally red districts is in no way related to the popularity of candidates who oppose Trump and the GOP agenda. I’d much rather judge the popularity of unpopularity of a politician or agenda based on real world data like election results as opposed to the imaginary world of a TV show.
The people in PA (except Phili) are centrist Democrats as long as I can remember but the census was they were fed up with the current Democrats including Obama and there was no way in hell they wanted Obama 2.0. Lamb who won by a hair but won because he was a centrist Democrat. Of course Nancy Pelosi warned other Democrats not to take lessons from Lamb. In the end, will Democrats continue toward progressivism or will they move more central.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Shh.

Though it seems Dan is still a working man, drywall compound on his hands and all, they can't afford all their medications. That was a brilliant piece where he gave Roseanne the antidepressants when they split the medications up. A working man not being able to afford medications is not much of an argument for the conservative position here on health care.

Darlene has to move home because even though the economy is best ever, she loses her job and can't find another one.

This show is filled with such pieces and yet because Roseanne blurts out MAGA, all is well in the conservative camp.

With Wanda Sykes on the the writing team, can't help but wonder how subversive this will get.
I didn't, and won't watch, because I don't watch comedies any more but, from what I've read, it sounds like it ticks all of the PC boxes - random black kid, single mother, gender-fluid grand-kid, the aforementioned lack of healthcare...

I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many are so ready to embrace this.

Oh wait, I know.
It's that same syndrome that causes people to announce to the world that they have a black friend so they can't be racist.
They've assembled this motley crew of so-called liberal "pets" to disprove the liberal "lies."

Nothing subversive about it.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I didn't, and won't watch, because I don't watch comedies any more but, from what I've read, it sounds like it ticks all of the PC boxes - random black kid, single mother, gender-fluid grand-kid, the aforementioned lack of healthcare...

I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many are so ready to embrace this.

Oh wait, I know.
It's that same syndrome that causes people to announce to the world that they have a black friend so they can't be racist.
They've assembled this motley crew of so-called liberal "pets" to disprove the liberal "lies."

Nothing subversive about it.
It's a comedy. Now you want to b*tch because there is a black girl on the show? Who cares? In response to your second comment, if we didn't have black friends then you'd b*tch that blacks are not included, and if we do have black friends you b*tch that it's only to send a message.

Some people are miserable and angry, and they'll find fault in everything. They view life in such a way to find a reason to b*tch It's a sad way to live life! TigerLily24

Last edited by petch751; 03-30-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's a comedy. Now you want to b*tch because there is a black girl on the show? Who cares? In response to your second comment, if we didn't have black friends then you'd b*tch that blacks are not included, and if we do have black friends you b*tch that it's only to send a message.

Some people are miserable and angry, and they'll find fault in everything. They view life in such a way they always find a reason to b*tch
Touched a nerve, I see.

Just going to sit back and wait for the inevitable "gays vs. the bakery" episode.
Can't wait to see whose side every one takes.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 AM

911 posts, read 261,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit
I’ll probably never watch the show, but I think it is a brilliant marketing strategy to ride Trump’s coattails into popularity.
I dont think its a good idea for her to mix politics with her show.... She will lose more than she realises! (Alot of ppl do not like mr trump and will take it out on her)

Last edited by Bambo; 03-30-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies