Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Jimmy stays within the limits of decency. It's a responsibility as a public figure to do so, and Kimmel knows that.

You can say anything you want, as can I, because who are we? Certainly not so famous as to be known by millions of people. If Jimmy every goes out of bounds, he not only loses his job. Everyone who prepares the Jimmy Kimmel Show every night loses theirs too. And their ultimate bosses, those who are stockholders in ABC, lose their investment as well.

It's no great loss when an old show that has steadily faded for years finally hangs it up and calls it a day. That's the cycle all television shows undergo. But when a show is hot, popular and steady or rising, they all make more money than you and I combined will ever see.
That money goes into lots and lots of different hands, too. It doesn't stay in New York City, either. Big pieces of the pie go out to all the little stations that employ people who live close to me, and close to you, too.

Roseanne forgot all those people and her responsibilities to them. Whenever you post anything on the net, you only speak for yourself. Roseanne spoke for all those who depended on her, with no thought about them. If you were working for her, you would be only one of the 'little people' she obviously doesn't give a damn about.

Bad for her, but worse for them. Roseanne already has enough to get by, and she won't ever go broke, but that can't be said for your local weatherman; he needs his job, just like you need yours, and Roseanne just robbed him of a possible promotion.

The irony of it all is TV is TV. Give the show a time-out, and it can come back later without Roseanne and still be just as big a hit. It happens when the star leaves (or dies) all the time, especially with a cast as stellar as theirs.
This is true. Rosanne will be back. Look at bill orielly. He is getting his own show after being metooed. Racist and sexist will come back. The point is. How can the those who feel offended having such people have their careers and jobs again?

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Where are you sourcing these comments? Almost like there is a Trump basher's library that Trump haters go to that feeds them info. Is that the case? Certainly you didn't dig through years of videos and interviews to get these. How do we know they are accurate and in context?
Well a quick scan over the list shows reveals that I remember clearly him saying about half of them. So that tells me even if half the list is not true the other half is damning enough.

But again the Trump folks will somehow find a way to excuse any and all of them, or pretend they never happened as you are trying to do.

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Edit.

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do a quick internet search on "comparing black people to apes." You will quickly see that there is a long, racial history in this sort of comparison. But you know this.
Thank you. I'm Black, and I've been called a "porch monkey". I've been called the Spanish word for monkey. One person called me "Curious George". I know what being called an "ape" or "monkey" means. And having been called those words before, other persons know what those words are. One reason I don't buy the feigned ignorance bit. If some people really don't know what those terms mean, then I don't know what to say.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’ve seen a little of the Planet of the Apes. I’m missing the racial angle here. They are animals, not people.
They are fictional characters - people wearing make-up.

I hear large hoop earring are racist if white women wear them, also certain types of nails.
People need to be careful and keep a good list.

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It’s a disgusting thing to say if it’s meant that way. But it doesn’t have to be automatically taken that way.
Why else would someone call another Black person a monkey or ape? I can't think of any other reason. That is how it has always been used. And given the history of how that term was used, I figured Roseanne would know better. So it will be taken that way.

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Where are you sourcing these comments? Almost like there is a Trump basher's library that Trump haters go to that feeds them info. Is that the case? Certainly you didn't dig through years of videos and interviews to get these. How do we know they are accurate and in context?

Do what I do, pick a couple and research them.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
From what I can remember of seeing Planet of the Apes way back when was that simians had evolved to the point of becoming humans. Humans had descended to the point of becoming animals by destroying the world. Anyone remember the scene of the Statue of Liberty's Head in the sand on the beach? Humans did that, not the apes.

There was nothing racial about those movies. The lesson was that mankind would destroy the world and the highest form of animal life would pick up the pieces and take over.

Back to Roseanne. I watched it in the original and never liked her. The difference in this is that she Tweeted the racial slur on her private account. It was not part of a scripted show, but her own personal opinion. Her employer had every right to fire her if they considered her to be a detriment to their network's ratings and the public would stop watching her show. As others have stated, I don't feel sorry for her but for the other cast members.

Our own Dear Leader has called "illegal" immigrants animals. Sorry, Donald, but no baby or young child is an animal whatever their citizenship status is.

All this cannot continue. America is ready to implode. I say this as an old woman. We are on the path of a previous society.

Edit: I also watched All in the Family. Difference is that Carroll O'Connor was playing a scripted role. Roseanne is taking this into her personal life on Twitter.

Last edited by Jo48; 05-29-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 03:59 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How can we fight racism, bigotry while income inequality still exist and people are not fighting for that? I don't think you see the big picture in the grand scheme of things. Yes racism is bad. We have to find a way as a people to work together. Racism is never going to go away. I too wish racism goes away.

But back to the topic. People do change, and people don't change in a major life changing way, it can even be small things in life that makes people Change. But as we get older, some people can grow outwards while some grow inwards. I prefer to grow outwards. Not for nothing. You seem to be stuck in a bubble with your beliefs on people.
I agree with you completely on 'income inequality.'
I think that people who benefit from income inequality push racist ideologies on those who don't have money as a way to distract them from who their real enemy is.
There are many famous quotes detailing that belief.

Like I said, people can change. Maybe Roseanne will change in her old age. We'll know that, when and if she proves it. Until then, she got her comeuppance.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I watched All in the Family in re-runs - really hilarious and important for the times.
Point is ...... (with no background on the stars, because few knew much about them in the early 70's)

Could All in the Family go on TV today?? Truth is .... absolutely no way.

We have "learned the lesson" by 2018 - it's not pretty.
There was also the episode "The game the Bunkers play" where Mike Stivic alias "Meathead" acted for a moment like Archie Bunker when others laughed of him because he said he's tolerant. I wonder if it predicted the wave of SJWs?

https://youtu.be/d_oBGh0c7ZA?t=10m47s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies