Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 05:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Roseanne wasn't making that comment because VJ is black, she was making it because she does resemble, around the mouth, one of the characters from Planet of the Apes, as I think most people can see.

She was making a reference to her appearance, not a racist comment. I think that is pretty clear.
Eh.....

Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Roseanne wasn't making that comment because VJ is black, she was making it because she does resemble, around the mouth, one of the characters from Planet of the Apes, as I think most people can see.

She was making a reference to her appearance, not a racist comment. I think that is pretty clear.
WOW! what a delusional comment!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:

If it was "pretty clear" and yet it was misconstrued as racist, don't you think Barr would have corrected us in our misconception? But she didn't, did she?

Nice try, though. I give you an A for creativity.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
This was written ten years ago. There are many other research-based articles like it:
https://psmag.com/.amp/social-justic...g-whites-20708

Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think it's necessarily racist because I have heard and made references to people resembling or reminding of animals, apes and monkeys included -they are our closest relative! Once I said Chelsea Handler looked like Dr. Zaius from original POTA and my aunt thought GW Bush looked like a baboon. I think orangutans are adorable, and they are peaceful, sweet animals.

People seem to think Rosanne was referring to one particular character with the comparison - Ari played by Helena Bonham Carter in the 2001 movie, and interestingly, when the movie came out a lot of people thought Ari looked like Janet Jackson, and wondered if the character's facial features were not inspired by her. NO one screamed racist about that! Ari is a quite attractive character.
I am really trying to understand if this attitude is simply ignorance or if people really believe that there is nothing wrong with this sort of comparison.
For those who would like to understand why the tweet was so offensive, this is a very good read:

“The idea that Black people were less evolved than White people, and therefore genetically closer to apes than Whites, was historically used to hide the justification of slavery and unequal rights in a cloak of science. Such “scientific racism” spread the false idea that Blacks are inherently inferior to Whites. As a result, the portrayal of Black people as apelike became an iconic representation in the 19th and early 20th century.
But that’s all in the past, right? I mean, people in modern society don’t actually think Blacks are apelike, do they? Work by psychologist Phillip Atiba Goff (link is external) indicates they do.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ne-barrs-tweet

For the rest, well, at least now we know who you are.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 05-30-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If it was "pretty clear" and yet it was misconstrued as racist, don't you think Barr would have corrected us in our misconception? But she didn't, did she?

I'm still waiting for which ape character Susan Rice looks like "around the mouth". This isn't the first time Roseanne Barr likened a black person to an ape and she likes to do it on Twitter.

Roseanne Barr compared Susan Rice, another black Obama official, to an ape in 2013
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roseann...n-rice-to-ape/

Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This was written ten years ago. There are many other research-based articles like it:
https://psmag.com/.amp/social-justic...g-whites-20708
A depressing read.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am really trying to understand if this attitude is simply ignorance or if people really believe that there nothing wrong with this sort of comparison.
For those who would like to understand why the tweet was so offensive, this is a very good read:

“The idea that Black people were less evolved than White people, and therefore genetically closer to apes than Whites, was historically used to hide the justification of slavery and unequal rights in a cloak of science. Such “scientific racism” spread the false idea that Blacks are inherently inferior to Whites. As a result, the portrayal of Black people as apelike became an iconic representation in the 19th and early 20th century.
But that’s all in the past, right? I mean, people in modern society don’t actually think Blacks are apelike, do they? Work by psychologist Phillip Atiba Goff (link is external) indicates they do.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ne-barrs-tweet

For the rest, well, at least now we know who you are.
I've never seen it spelled out like that before. For those of us younger, the past ten years have been something we thought the country had long moved past. When Obama was elected, the response was a complete shock. And Roseanne was one of the celebrities people were shocked by. When one sees that she was comparing Susan Rice to an ape back in 2013, it all makes sense. In fact many of the most outspoken Trump supporters, that were perfectly fine with him demanding Obama's birth certificate and calling him a Muslim Kenyan, have sooner or later exposed themselves in one way or another.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:

LOL. I think it's pretty clear you are attempting to excuse a blatently racist comment by any means necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

I mean, it was an excellent effort. I'll give it an E for Effort/

Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
LOL. I think it's pretty clear you are attempting to excuse a blatently racist comment by any means necessary.

I mean, it was an excellent effort. I'll give it an E for Effort/
So generous. I really need to understand how Susan Rice looked like an ape too. This isn't the first time Roseanne has done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies