U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,132,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Every argument for "white privilege" is debunked. Privilege means you didn't earn it.
are you saying you "earned" preferential treatment on account of your race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM

15,303 posts, read 7,821,308 times
Quote:
White Americans are't privileged over their counterparts in Europe or Canada. IN contrast, black Americans are extremely privileged compared to their counterparts in Africa. Basically they could be starving in a 3rd world continent.
Fact - white Americans are privileged in America over non-white people
Fact - white Americans are privileged in Europe, Canada and even most of Africa, Asia, and even Australia than non-white people - including black Americans

Fact - black Americans are only privileged over other black people abroad

Again, you all are being hypocritical. And again, I admit my privilege abroad, yet you cannot admit yours domestically AND abroad.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM

5,202 posts, read 3,734,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Fact - white Americans are privileged in America over non-white people
Fact - white Americans are privileged in Europe, Canada and even most of Africa, Asia, and even Australia than non-white people - including black Americans

Fact - black Americans are only privileged over other black people abroad

Again, you all are being hypocritical. And again, I admit my privilege abroad, yet you cannot admit yours domestically AND abroad.
I used to work in a field that contained many black Americans. I'd work alongside them. Go to conferences and sit beside them during lectures. Share professional conversations with them. Go to after parties and drink alongside them. They were just fellow professionals. They treated me that way and I treated them that way.

I used to attend football games at a local university where my son attended and was studying to become an athletic trainer. I'd sit beside white and black students, watch white and black athletes, watch white and black athletic training students tend to injured athletes, watch black and white coaches coaching, mingle with friends and professors of my son of both races after the games.

It's expedient to talk about "privilege" due simply to something that is out of the control of all of us. But I KNOW that we're not that much different from each other. It's also expedient to talk about all whites being monolithic and all blacks being monolithic, but that's not realty. It's just not.

I look down on red neck whites and red neck blacks - those who deal drugs, hang onto the crotch of their sagging pants so that they don't fall down, walk the neighborhoods trying so-damned-hard to convey a certain attitude but which conveyed the completely opposite attitude. It's a class thing. Not a race thing. I don't want to be around low lifes of any color.

And people like you can try to instill group guilt but I'm not buying it. It's not productive, it's not realty, and it will not accomplish anything positive.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,090,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Since I admit as a black American I have the privilege abroad"

The only "privilege" you have abroad IS American money.

Race has NOTHING to do with it.

"that you have white privilege"

First you have to describe WHERE you think whites in America TODAY have privilege today and black do NOT have the SAME privileges.

We have BLACK colleges and do NOT have white colleges.

We have a Black Miss America beauty contest

We do NOT have a white Miss America contest.

What do you think would happen IF we had them?

We have black TV channel

We do NOT have a White TV channel.

What do you tink would happen If we had one?

I could go on but will give you a chance to show "balk" privilege today.
Quote:
There have been many threads and I've made many comments during said threads about this.

White privilege means that white people are preferred over other people in America. They have less negative stereotypes and are less likely to be judged, based on their ethnicity or skin color right off the bat in this country. Has nothing to do with pageants or TV channels.

All the so called black things you think are so great only exist because whites were privileged in America and would not 1 - let black girls/women participate in pageants; 2 - refuse to let black people go to colleges/universities; 3 - do not focus in the media on issues of importance to black people (so they created their own). Also note that a majority of channels on TV are "white" channels and a majority of colleges/universities in America are primarily "white" universities.

If you create a TV show featuring the word "white" I honestly doubt that black people will care. You all think we care about things that in general, we don't really care about. I remember a white guy creating a dating website called "white people meet" because there is a "black people meet" dating website. He thought black people would "balk" at it and we didn't and all the comments I found about it from black people on black media sites, it was made fun of and laughed at that white people think we get upset about such stupid, silly things. We don't to any wide degree and don't care what you do. Create your own "white" channel and a "white" university and whatever else "white" stuff you want. You will still be privileged though lol.

Residinghere2007 has explained it to you. If you historically exclude people, you can't really be upset that they form their own institutions. If white people hadn't denied blacks entrance into colleges and universities, there would have been no need for historically black colleges (which are open to every race). How often do you not see white people on television shows? How often are the majority of contestants in the major beauty pageants non white?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,090,606 times
Quote:
A black person would have gotten away with it!! YOu have privilege being black because you get to play the race card! You can insult white people with no consequences.

And when a white person is killed by cops, Where are the mass protests? There hasn't been one even though more whites are killed by cops!

What about when a white person is accused of rape and are INNOCENT. Like Duke lacrosse or the rolling stone fraternity kids.

Or the school shooting kids on CNN saying that it is white people that are the problem because thats who the mass shooters have been. And the CNN host backing them up on that claim. Imagine if they would have said that about blacks!

Or what about all the affirmative action? In my industry you are often required to award projects to black owned businesses. You can't even look at non minority businesses due to rules, laws, etc. Or college admissions.

Or any failures in the black community openly blamed on whites.

THey have the privilege of playing the race card.
And why can't white people take to the streets and protest these things? Why look to blacks and other minorities to do what you can do yourself? The next time a white person is killed by police, gather your friends and march against police brutality.

The majority of school shooters are white so obviously there is a problem in the white community that no one wants to address. It's easy to call out other races as 'savages' and 'thugs' but when the mirror is held up to your race, it's a different story. Whether there is an increase in mental illness, an inability to cope with life stresses, anger issues or whatever, something is going on in the white community that needs to be addressed.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM

7,755 posts, read 6,583,934 times
Quote:
I am black and I agree I have a privilege overseas when travelling as well. When I open my mouth with my American accent and have my American money, I am treated much better than other people in certain countries and especially better than blacks in European countries IMO as black people in Europe are often stereotyped - especially those from African nations - in a very negative way.

I agree with gladhands though. Since I admit as a black American I have the privilege abroad, will you admit that in America AND abroad, that you have white privilege.
This is nonsense.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM

8,189 posts, read 6,221,112 times
no such thing as white privilege. It gets totally confused with wealth and class privilege. Poor white people don't get any of this so called privilege because its's not a race thing. If you have money and assets, then yeah, you have privilege. More likely than not you earned it, although there are plenty of spoiled children out there

Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 AM

1,853 posts, read 785,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
And why can't white people take to the streets and protest these things? Why look to blacks and other minorities to do what you can do yourself? The next time a white person is killed by police, gather your friends and march against police brutality.

The majority of school shooters are white so obviously there is a problem in the white community that no one wants to address. It's easy to call out other races as 'savages' and 'thugs' but when the mirror is held up to your race, it's a different story. Whether there is an increase in mental illness, an inability to cope with life stresses, anger issues or whatever, something is going on in the white community that needs to be addressed.
I guess you don't actually watch the news or protests. It is mostly white people protesting. Why isn't the media reporting on white killings? Why arent blacks or whites protesting? My point in Black privilege. BLM is a racist organization because they should be protesting all shootings.

And there is not "problem in the white community" with shootings. They are RARE. School shootings are RARE.

Last edited by Berteau; 03-29-2018 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,132,273 times
Quote:
Every argument for "white privilege" is debunked.
Quote:
A black person would have gotten away with it!! YOu have privilege being black because you get to play the race card!

THey have the privilege of playing the race card.
that's... an amazing perspective. you think blacks in this country are privileged but whites are not. ive heard it all now.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 AM

8,189 posts, read 6,221,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's... an amazing perspective. you think blacks in this country are privileged but whites are not. ive heard it all now.
It's actually true when you think about it. Certainly affirmative action is a race privilege
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or