Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,699,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
You have an issue with reading comprehension.

1 - Didn't call you racist.
LOL ok now I know you're just a giant troll. Your quote:

Quote:
Wait another 350 years, then you can complain about black people and whatever deficiencies you believe they have.
That is literally calling someone racist, you basically have reading comprehension issues about reading comprehension (among other things)

Quote:
5. People escape their circumstances if they believe they can
You forgot the magic fairy pixey dust! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! lol

No, people escape their circumstance through education. No way around it. It's a long slow process and it pays off down the road, not just for an individual but generationally for families

Last edited by BlakeJones; 03-29-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 03:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,810,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It has to do with the futility of complaining about the past. Those things were terrible, disgusting, and have no place in civilized society. Fortunately, blacks and other minorities are no longer persecuted and there are strong legal protections.
On this, only thing I'd ask you is if you believe that the discrimination of the past has had an effect on the present in regards to black Americans in particular?

Oftentimes people when speaking of race and there no longer being "terrible" or "disgusting" things occuring in our society to the degree that they used to (and I agree with you here BTW) those same people also dismiss the fact that said terrible/disgusting things have a lasting legacy in our country.

The legacy is something IMO that needs to be acknowledged by blacks and whites and others in this nation. Ignoring it, only encourages prejudice and stereotypes unnecessarily.

Note, I don't think you are a racist but I also don't think that speaking about the past is "complaining." I personally take great strength in my ancestor's and their stories, trials, tribulations, and the way that they fought to make a better life for me and all other black people in this nation. I also admire those brave and active white Americans who did the same thing for me and their children as oppression and the race issues of our past IMO had a negative impact on the psyche of white Americans as well. And that is also a lasting legacy that we need not ignore.

History still touches us and can teach us lessons and oftentimes it seems that people would rather forget about it and act like it doesn't impact us today.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:06 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,810,540 times
Will also note there is nothing wrong with being the descendants of slaves. I am in awe of my enslaved ancestors and what they survived and how they endured for their children and grandchildren. I was made to memorize a part of Maya Angelou's poem when I was a girl and it goes "I am the dream and the hope of the slave."

I truly believe that - that I am slave's prayer answered and that is a comforting, humbling thing to me. So there is nothing wrong with loving and admiring our enslaved ancestors.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 PM

1,323 posts, read 587,930 times
Quote:
LOL ok now I know you're just a giant troll. Your quote:

That is literally calling someone racist, you basically have reading comprehension issues about reading comprehension (among other things)

You forgot the magic fairy pixey dust! I think I can! I think I can! I think I can! lol

No, people escape their circumstance through education. No way around it. It's a long slow process and it pays off down the road, not just for an individual but generationally for families
Ah, your derision speaks volumes.

I'm sure the well-educated poor in this country most be wondering what happened?

Still didn't call you a racist, but if you want to play the victim card, have at it.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
Quote:
No such thing, it's a convenient excuse
no, what's "convenient" is denying it exists bc it doesnt affect you

Old 03-29-2018, 05:41 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,933,726 times
How come no other races complain about white Privilege or racism? Only one race? Everyone is only racist against one race?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Every African DOES NOT want to live here. I don’t even know where you guys come up with this crap.
According to Pew Research, one half to three quarters of Africans in various countries would move out if they could and America is the top preferred destination. 74 percent of Nigeria's 186 million people want out.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,102 times
"American privilege" is a concept that interests me. From what I can tell, it's mostly a cultural thing within the United States. I think that how the OP and the article is describing American privilege is incorrect. What I will say though is that within the US, people who are "from here" are raised to think that how things work in American society is "normal" and kind of automatically operate that way. This includes white Americans, black Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans in the US, etc. People from outside the US, regardless of race or ethnicity, might not be comfortable with these norms.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What I will say though is that within the US, people who are "from here" are raised to think that how things work in American society is "normal" and kind of automatically operate that way. This includes white Americans, black Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans in the US, etc. People from outside the US, regardless of race or ethnicity, might not be comfortable with these norms.
There is nothing unique about the United States in this regard. Everyone grows up thinking their own society is what's normal. The barriers to foreigners trying to fit in are actually less in America than in most places.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,220,735 times
Why do they call themselves African Americans? Africa isn't a nation and America is.

White people don't call themselves European Americans...we're just Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies