U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,606 posts, read 9,257,166 times
Reputation: 5448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
No. It wasn't. Those of us who study our genealogy and depend on census records in order to attempt to find our personal family stories will tell you, it's not on every census.
In a oblique way it is. Every census include the residence and the persons birth location. While that does not equate directly to citizenship, it does validate citizenship for everyone whose birthplace is within the US boundaries. In many census records post 1840 there is a checkbox for citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2018, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,606 posts, read 9,257,166 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I hear the latest MENSA tests ask one to explain the correlation between the census (which has nothing to do with registering to vote) and Democrats needing every vote they can get, including from pets. No doubt you are already a member with this sound analysis.
I am not even a Mensa member and even I know the answer. The census is the official, constitution designated device to determine the country’ population distribution and total and as such dictates the allocation of representatives in the US House of Representatives.

If persons are counted that are not actual citizens then those states gain undeserved representation in the US government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 08:58 PM
 
12,571 posts, read 4,751,603 times
Reputation: 5552
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I am not even a Mensa member and even I know the answer. The census is the official, constitution designated device to determine the country’ population distribution and total and as such dictates the allocation of representatives in the US House of Representatives.

If persons are counted that are not actual citizens then those states gain undeserved representation in the US government.
Actually the census counts all residents. Values slaves at 3/5ths but has always counted all. You did not know that? The view is you represent all who live in your district...not just those who are citizens. And by the way there are those who are nationals but not citizens...and they also have a right to be represented even though they may not be able to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,787 posts, read 2,696,229 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The Democrats are going to need every vote they can get. Don’t be surprised if they push for voting rights for pets. After all, there are laws for pets, so why shouldn’t they vote?
The Democrats had Hillary with 3 Million plus votes over Trump.

It was the Electoral College that got him elected not the popular vote.

But you know that right ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
9,442 posts, read 5,792,195 times
Reputation: 7893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why are you suddenly becoming hysterical about the census asking a normal question it has asked every time in the last century or more?
Because...Trump! Russia! Porn Star! No illegal people! Waaah!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,787 posts, read 2,696,229 times
Reputation: 7014
What is weird is how the US Government doesn't know how many citizens it has.
All it has to do is count the number of birth certificates minus death certificates + legalized immigrants.
A computer can do that.

By the way illegals aren't going to fill out a Census form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,787 posts, read 2,696,229 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It was part of the census long form that 1 in 6 Americans received.

Obama created some American Community Survey in during his term, and moved the citizenship question to that form... which 1 in 38 Americans received.

------------

The Orwellian American Community Survey
What's especially problematic about the ACS are the answers it demands from citizens. The least threatening of them are just strange -- such as asking whether your home has a flush toilet and whether "there is a business (such as a store or barber shop) or a medical practice" on your property. Then there are the financial questions. The ACS asks everything from your sources of income (in dollar amounts) to how much you spend on gas, electricity, and water. The IRS just asks what you earn; the Commerce Department wants to know how you spend your money as well.

Even more invasive are the personal questions. The questionnaire asks how many people live with you and their relationship to you, along with their names, ages, gender, and race. Most creepy of all are the questions about your daily routine. The ACS wants to know where you work, what time you leave for work, how you get to work, how long it takes you to get to work, and how many people travel with you.
I received one of these ACS forms last year and felt very uncomfortable answering those questions.
Very intrusive so I didn't bother to respond even though I could face a fine.
I didn't even mind the financial questions but like you said the questions about your daily routine were creepy !
Sometimes I can't even remember what I had for lunch much less what time you leave for work, how you get to work, how long it takes you to get to work, and how many people travel with you!
Why does the Trump administration want this info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,911 posts, read 1,613,633 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It was part of the census long form that 1 in 6 Americans received.

Obama created some American Community Survey in during his term, and moved the citizenship question to that form... which 1 in 38 Americans received.

------------

The Orwellian American Community Survey
What's especially problematic about the ACS are the answers it demands from citizens. The least threatening of them are just strange -- such as asking whether your home has a flush toilet and whether "there is a business (such as a store or barber shop) or a medical practice" on your property. Then there are the financial questions. The ACS asks everything from your sources of income (in dollar amounts) to how much you spend on gas, electricity, and water. The IRS just asks what you earn; the Commerce Department wants to know how you spend your money as well.

Even more invasive are the personal questions. The questionnaire asks how many people live with you and their relationship to you, along with their names, ages, gender, and race. Most creepy of all are the questions about your daily routine. The ACS wants to know where you work, what time you leave for work, how you get to work, how long it takes you to get to work, and how many people travel with you.
The American Community Survey (ACS) was NOT created under the Obama administration. The ACS was launched in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey

https://www.census.gov/history/www/p...ty_survey.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 06:30 AM
 
5,116 posts, read 4,606,978 times
Reputation: 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually the census counts all residents. Values slaves at 3/5ths but has always counted all. You did not know that? The view is you represent all who live in your district...not just those who are citizens. And by the way there are those who are nationals but not citizens...and they also have a right to be represented even though they may not be able to vote.
Expanding on the thought above - the census's legal basis arises from a clause in the U.S. Constitution mandating that the federal government perform a decennial enumeration of the population in order to reallocate the number of congressmen in the U.S. House of Representatives per state each decade.

Quote:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the citizenship status of the people counted.

As noted above, enslaved people were enumerated, but at a 3/5ths valuation. Additionally, women and children were not considered U.S. citizens, but were still counted in the census. Finally, foreign nationals residing in the U.S. were counted, even though they were not citizens of the United States.

The reason why non-citizens were included in the constitutionally mandated enumeration is because the delegates at the 1787 Constitutional Convention chose to allocate both proportional representation in the lower chamber of the legislature and the proportional allocation of direct federal taxes upon the wealth of each state. Lacking a means at the time to accurately measure the GDP for Virginia or New Hampshire, the delegates reached back to a failed plan first put in the Continental Congress.

Prior to the establishment of the Constitution, the Continental Congress, operating under the Articles of Confederation, had been using land area of each state to allocate the cost of the Confederation debts, each state being asked to voluntarily contribute said computed amounts. The allocation rested upon the believe that acreage was directly proportional to wealth. The flaw in that assumption was that swamp land in New Jersey wasn't as profitable as good bottom land in Virginia. The proposed compromise to more fairly allocate the funds that were to be voluntarily raised by the state governments was that tax allocation should rest upon an enumeration of the population of each state, the assumption being that a state's wealth was directly proportional to its population. The compromise failed, but the idea was incorporated into the U.S. Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 AM
 
5,116 posts, read 4,606,978 times
Reputation: 4375
The claim has been put forth that a citizenship question has been in every census for the past 100 years. Here's the 1960 U.S. Census long form. I simply cannot locate the citizenship question that Roboteer insists must be there.

Perhaps Roboteer would be kind enough to point it out for the rest of us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top