Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 03:22 PM

4,317 posts, read 5,758,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They can't even take care of themselves at this point, many are still living at home. You will also see all of this "dedication" fall off over time just has it has with every other voting block...

This is true lol! Some no are paying those of us who are older to teach them how to cook, clean, do laundry, basically how to do things as an adult. I'm so grateful we've taught our 14 and 11 year old how to do the basics like that.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:43 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,460,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How about if you wait until the students have graduated from there. Going to that high school to talk guns is like taking the survivors of the Titanic for a boat ride near icebergs.
I was about 15 years old when I thought it'd be a great idea to jump a triple with a CR500 dirtbike. I hit the ramp in the bottom of 4th gear, I cleared the landing by about 50 feet. Landed flat. Rear shock rebounded so hard it threw me clean over the handle bars.

I landed square on my back and bounced twice watching that dirtbike crumble into a ball of metal and plastic.

I was out the next day on a 250. With a bruise that engulfed my whole back still hurt to breathe.

Went down on blacktop once. Knobby dirt bike tires don't mix with wet roads.
Opened my right arm up from the wrist back to the elbow. Hopped back on the bike with tweaked bars to have my mother scrub the dirt and debris out of the open gash with a wire brush and alcohol.

Was out with an ace bandage wrapped around my arm the next day riding wheelies up and down the road in front of the house since it was my mother who wanted my dirtbikes and quads gone. And she was in the front messing in her garden.

When I was 19 right before my 20th birthday, I was in my stock car flat out coming off the 4th turn sideways. Someone came up on the inside and tapped the left quarter panel kicking me further sideways. The right rear tire blew off the bead and I went rolling over down the front stretch. No NASCAR HANS device. Just pool noodles cut to fit over the top of the roll cage bars held on by zip ties... Limped away from that one. Think I gave up racing? Pfft. 1 new wheel, new tire, pulled the plugs out whirled it over to push the oil that got past the rings out of the cylinders, pulled the body panels that were touching the wheels threw it on the alignment rack. Everything was good frame and suspension wise. Was back at it the following weekend.
That following summer I moved up to pro stocks. Faster cars.

Moral of the story.
Don't ever succumb to fear.
You'll miss out on a whole lot if you live your life in fear.
I'd not only take the titanic survivors out on a boat around ice bergs. I'd take them on a big block V8 powered jet boat around ice bergs at over 100mph.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM

46,762 posts, read 25,693,276 times
Headline could have stopped after 3 words.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Moral of the story.
Don't ever succumb to fear.
You'll miss out on a whole lot if you live your life in fear.
You may want to think about the difference between surviving risks you took of your own free will vs. survivors of something horrific that was forced upon them.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
We can't have our children being taught BOTH sides of the argument. That's just not how indoctrination works.
I'd say the Parkland survivors have been taught an object lesson on the consequences of easy access to firearms. For someone to show up to say that, OK, so 15 of their friends are dead, but have they considered the big picture? How detached from reality do you have to be to think that's a good idea?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:04 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,087,096 times
Gun debate aside, I wonder if they'd let Parkland survivor Kyle Kashuv speak?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...the_march.html

Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'd say the Parkland survivors have been taught an object lesson on the consequences of easy access to firearms.
So have the families of police shooting victims. Yet hardly anyone is brave enough to call for disarming cops.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
So have the families of police shooting victims. Yet hardly anyone is brave enough to call for disarming cops.
Well, law enforcement can at least be trained and screened - quite a few countries do a much better job of not killing their own citizens. But it's a bit of different debate, unless this was a pivot to get out the soap box and start talking of the horrors of a having a state in the first place, in which case I'm out.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:38 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,460,815 times
Quote:
You may want to think about the difference between surviving risks you took of your own free will vs. survivors of something horrific that was forced upon them.
Ohhh kind of like one of my cousins that were raped when they were 16 and don't think all men are rapists...
Someone who can differentiate the two rather than conflate the two into one with a false equivalency of, well... if one, then all...

Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Well, law enforcement can at least be trained and screened - quite a few countries do a much better job of not killing their own citizens. But it's a bit of different debate, unless this was a pivot to get out the soap box and start talking of the horrors of a having a state in the first place, in which case I'm out.
Nope. Just the hypocrisy of people want want to infringe on the rights of individuals to own AR-15s while being fine with cops having AR-15s, even though many of the same people for gun control know cops are racist goons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies