Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times

Advertisements

Some may have missed this portion of the linked article - something I find interesting:

However, the more important dates are when Social Security and Medicare begin paying out more in benefits than they are receiving in taxes because that represents the time the government must start redeeming the bonds in the trust fund

For Medicare, the threshold when benefits exceed program income occurred last year.

For Social Security, that threshold will be crossed in 2017, one year earlier than the 2018 date projected in last year’s report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,437,802 times
i guess im going to work till i die

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some may have missed this portion of the linked article - something I find interesting:
However, the more important dates are when Social Security and Medicare begin paying out more in benefits than they are receiving in taxes because that represents the time the government must start redeeming the bonds in the trust fund
For Medicare, the threshold when benefits exceed program income occurred last year. For Social Security, that threshold will be crossed in 2017, one year earlier than the 2018 date projected in last year’s report.
Highly misleading. Receipts "from taxes" are not the only receipts that the SS Trust Fund has. Interest earnings on the corpus of the fund will mean that the corpus itself will continue to grow for a further decade or more, peaking in the vicinity of 2030. Meanwhile, the Treasury must redeem securities held by the SSTF as they mature. This is contract debt, the terms of which do not vary. Some SSTF securities were redeemed last month. More will be redeemed this month. This is the exact same process as is carried out with respect to any of the rest of the public debt. When the securities mature, they are redeemed, financed either by a rollover into a new security if the original investor wishes, or by the sale of securities to a new investor.

Medicare, meanwhile, is in much worse shape than Social Security. It's down there along with things like employment-based pensions and personal savings. Yet Medicare ran a roughly $30 billion surplus last year...

Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 AM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
i guess im going to work till i die
If it's any consolation, you might live longer if you do.

Work at something, that is,

Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,426,996 times
Default New date for Social Security to go bust: 2041

I've been hearing on a regular basis since 1964 that Social Security is on the verge of collapse.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
I suspect a combination of means testing for benefits, raising the income contribution levels, raising the retirement age, slightly increasing the tax rate (somewhat on the order of .25% for both employees and employers) and modifying the cost of living formula will eventually be done to provide a long term fix.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:19 PM

523 posts, read 1,280,818 times
May I suggest EVERYONE open a Roth IRA if you don't already have one? (take the tax bite NOW, instead of LATER...tax rates could be 80% by the time you retire! Chew on THAT)

Please do not rely on anything other than your own retirement funds for your living. If you aren't already investing, do something to change that on MONDAY! You can open that IRA with $50 or $100 bucks and put in that much (or MORE) each month. Even if you are unable to contribute the full $4,000 per year, at least you will have SOMETHING to build on. I know a lady who was stretched so tight financially, she got an 8 hour job on Saturdays and every PENNY she makes from that 2nd job goes into her retirement account.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
May I suggest EVERYONE open a Roth IRA if you don't already have one? (take the tax bite NOW, instead of LATER...tax rates could be 80% by the time you retire! Chew on THAT)

Please do not rely on anything other than your own retirement funds for your living. If you aren't already investing, do something to change that on MONDAY! You can open that IRA with $50 or $100 bucks and put in that much (or MORE) each month. Even if you are unable to contribute the full $4,000 per year, at least you will have SOMETHING to build on. I know a lady who was stretched so tight financially, she got an 8 hour job on Saturdays and every PENNY she makes from that 2nd job goes into her retirement account.
And how do you know that the Roth IRA will continue to not be taxed? What makes you so certain about the rules for retirement savings not being changed? How do you know that a threshold (similar to a means test) won't be established for tax exempt savings, and if your savings are over the threshold amount you would be subject to a "special set of tax rules" (similar to the AMT process today)?

If you don't believe the tax rules can be changed in midstream, I suggest you speak with anyone who has held investment real estate during the past 30-40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies