Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM

39,022 posts, read 27,413,633 times

Advertisements

I watched born on 4th of July for the first time, I couldn't believe the horrible VA hospital scene.

Is it real?

The VA hospital in Born on the Fourth of July is the most harrowing part of the entire film, I must say.
rats openly walking the halls, patients abandoned for hours in their own filth, doctors scarce and uncaring. The latest scandal at the VA hospitals happened just several months ago. Even after America learned the dangers of small foreign wars in Vietnam, apparently America has to learn them all again, over and over again.

Man, I don't blame anybody who were draft dodgers to be quite honest and I am 100% pro military. If this is the way we are going to treat our vets, then no one should be joining.

Trump has never said anything bad about the veterans and it is very sweet for him to honor the vietnam veterans. I don't know why anybody should hate him for not going to Vietnam. None of you guys supported the war anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM

586 posts, read 311,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Most of those drafted said they'd have done the same if they were in Trump's position

What position is that? He didn't make that choice, Selective Service did. He is exactly one month older than I am and took his pre-induction physical about the time I did. He was rejected due to bone spurs in his feet as was my best friend. Another friend was rejected due to poor vision. I passed and soon thereafter off I went.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM

20,669 posts, read 8,433,912 times
(sigh) How many times do I have to tell you lot? Now pay attention and memorize!

Anti Vietnam war sentiment was very high. People were anti big government. It was considered smart to avoid the draft. Both Trump and Bill Clinton got student deferments as did tens of thousands of other college students. They also had high lottery numbers so never would have been called up.

See, it's easy!

Seems to me Hillary lied that she tried to join the army but was rejected because she was a woman or something.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:48 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,990,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
(sigh) How many times do I have to tell you lot? Now pay attention and memorize!

Anti Vietnam war sentiment was very high. People were anti big government. It was considered smart to avoid the draft. Both Trump and Bill Clinton got student deferments as did tens of thousands of other college students. They also had high lottery numbers so never would have been called up.

See, it's easy!

Seems to me Hillary lied that she tried to join the army but was rejected because she was a woman or something.
your confused..............she tried to say she was in combat...........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8d13cb82b6c0

Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM

3,693 posts, read 1,343,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
So, did you enlist to fight Saddam's army if you think it was a legitimate war?

Btw, none of the 9/11 terrorists were Iraqi. Many, if not most, were Saudi, so why do you think we didn't invade Saudi Arabia?
Again. What was the content of Al Qaedas 1998 fatwa?
Read it and maybe you can figure out why invading iraq was appropriate after 9/11.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 AM

39,022 posts, read 27,413,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

She said she tried to join the Marines lol

And the recruiter said,

“He looks at me and goes, ‘Um, how old are you. And I said, ‘Well I am 26, I will be 27.’ And he goes, ‘Well, that is kind of old for us.’ And then he says to me, and this is what gets me, ‘Maybe the dogs will take you,’ meaning the Army.â€

Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM

3,693 posts, read 1,343,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Hey!

You're right. That's a thought. Your thought. And it's a poor one. You go stand at those graves and pose your "question." Since it's yours.

Who's "we" amigo?
Nam was a poorly conceived and mismanaged mess fought largely because the decision makers wanted to "stop the march of communism." Long before it ended it was obvious that the south would be overrun. Those decision makers were shown to wrong. Very wrong.

The real tragedy is that none of today's decision makers learned a thing from that quagmire. Now we're doing the same thing on a smaller scale in the middle east.
Okay but if you knew ir was such a lost cause and totally mismanaged, is showing up at the induction center the right thing to do?
You dont say why my idea was a poor one you just declare it so. I am pretty sure a good number of those 58k, if they got a do over, would dispense with the patriotism and get on a bus to canada... especially after the point when it appeared it was an occupation we were looking to end and didnt have the heart to win.
People act like Trump taking a deferment in 1968 was clearly the wrong thing to do. At that time I dont think its so obvious.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,425,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Okay but if you knew ir was such a lost cause and totally mismanaged, is showing up at the induction center the right thing to do?
You dont say why my idea was a poor one you just declare it so.
Here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee
Heres a thought. Would you stand at the grave of any of the 58000 who died and tell them with the assumption their spirits could hear you:
"If youd have used a deferment instead I would now call you a scumbag"???
It's clear you think it's worthy of praise. Feel free to act on it.

Quote:
I am pretty sure a good number of those 58k, if they got a do over, would dispense with the patriotism and get on a bus to canada... especially after the point when it appeared it was an occupation we were looking to end and didnt have the heart to win.
People act like Trump taking a deferment in 1968 was clearly the wrong thing to do. At that time I dont think its so obvious.
Hey, look...

You're more than welcome to continue to hold up tRump as a paragon of virtue if that's your desire.

Lots of us who served in that time never will.

Of course, we weren't the sons of billionaires.

compare and contrast.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM

532 posts, read 440,888 times
100% of politicians pay lip service to Veterans.

He is the 1st I've seen attack a Senator based on his past POW status
and the 1st to attack a Gold Star parent

I'll give him credit for not starting any more wars yet and hopefully for following the advice of General Mattis.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,018,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
100% of politicians pay lip service to Veterans.

He is the 1st I've seen attack a Senator based on his past POW status
and the 1st to attack a Gold Star parent

I'll give him credit for not starting any more wars yet and hopefully for following the advice of General Mattis.
He just hired John Bolton. War is on the near horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies