U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM

161 posts, read 51,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
(sigh) How many times do I have to tell you lot? Now pay attention and memorize!

Anti Vietnam war sentiment was very high. People were anti big government. It was considered smart to avoid the draft. Both Trump and Bill Clinton got student deferments as did tens of thousands of other college students. They also had high lottery numbers so never would have been called up.

See, it's easy!

Seems to me Hillary lied that she tried to join the army but was rejected because she was a woman or something.
Actually, there was no lottery in 1968 when Clinton, Trump, and I all had exhausted our student deferments. The lottery started the following year. In 1968 I was drafted, Trump failed the physical due to bone spurs, and Clinton flat out dodged the draft. As unpopular as the war was, most people held draft dodgers in contempt. Only their mothers and their fellow sniveling cowards approved of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 04:30 PM

5,023 posts, read 2,197,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
100% of politicians pay lip service to Veterans.

He is the 1st I've seen attack a Senator based on his past POW status
and the 1st to attack a Gold Star parent

I'll give him credit for not starting any more wars yet and hopefully for following the advice of General Mattis.
That is not true. Senator lane Evans from Illinois Spent most of his career fighting for veterans rights

Old 04-03-2018, 04:58 PM

1,533 posts, read 391,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Actually, there was no lottery in 1968 when Clinton, Trump, and I all had exhausted our student deferments. The lottery started the following year. In 1968 I was drafted, Trump failed the physical due to bone spurs, and Clinton flat out dodged the draft.people held draft dodgers in contempt. Only their mothers and their fellow sniveling cowards approved of their actions.
Trump dodged the draft through connections the same as Clinton. I find your statement duplicitous at best.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:12 PM

5,023 posts, read 2,197,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Trump dodged the draft through connections the same as Clinton. I find your statement duplicitous at best.
Clinton's Draft Avoidance

Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 PM

1,077 posts, read 291,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Here it is:

It's clear you think it's worthy of praise. Feel free to act on it.

Hey, look...

You're more than welcome to continue to hold up tRump as a paragon of virtue if that's your desire.

Lots of us who served in that time never will.

Of course, we weren't the sons of billionaires.

compare and contrast.

I never called him a paragon of virtue.

Wonder how many of the people ripping him in this thread supported hillary aka wife of bill who was as good as being re elected.

So who did you vote for in 2016?

Frankly, 40+ years after the end of the war, I did not find draft dodging high on my list of factors in selecting a candidate.
If one placed that at the top of the list I guess they stayed home. Did you?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
100% of politicians pay lip service to Veterans.

He is the 1st I've seen attack a Senator based on his past POW status
and the 1st to attack a Gold Star parent

I'll give him credit for not starting any more wars yet and hopefully for following the advice of General Mattis.
Actually his remarks about McCain was about him being labelled a hero. At least for his actions the day he was shot down, that label is quite a stretch.
McCain -- Did He Show the Right Stuff?

As for that gold star parent apparently the clinton campaign didnt check that dirtbags closet for skeletons.

https://t.co/mJuUYw60nK

Khan is a muslim brotherhood agent making a career out of encouraging the replacing of our constitution with sharia law.
Hes just the kind we need to keep out.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 PM

35,030 posts, read 19,148,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I never called him a paragon of virtue.
You're doing a great job of carrying his water.
Quote:
Wonder how many of the people ripping him in this thread supported hillary aka wife of bill who was as good as being re elected.

So who did you vote for in 2016?

Frankly, 40+ years after the end of the war, I did not find draft dodging high on my list of factors in selecting a candidate.
If one placed that at the top of the list I guess they stayed home. Did you?
I liked Jim Webb.

He never made it past the first debate.

I've voted against the Clintons 5 times.

You?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 PM

7,121 posts, read 2,859,680 times
I thought this thread was going to be about Trump managing to avoid the clap...you know, his own personal Vietnam.

I’m pleasantly surprised to see otherwise. It’s good to know Trump can pay tribute to someone other than himself. Did he mention HRC during the event?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're doing a great job of carrying his water.

I liked Jim Webb.

He never made it past the first debate.

I've voted against the Clintons 5 times.

You?

By voting against the clintons you mean you voted for trump or someone else?
I didnt vote in 2016. Supported Trump strongly but I live in CA, lost cause. Voted for Pres. Cheney err Bush in 2000 and 04. Obama in 08 sat out 12.
My most dedicated support was for W in 04. Partly because of the gray davis recall in CA/ governator election..Hated John Kerry what a crap campaign he conspired with Joe Wilson who lied about his trip to niger and singlehandedly ignited the insurgency, At the time we needed their trust he went to 29 different media outlets telling the Iraqis Bush lied us into a war that destroyed their country. Tried to make it look like a disaster then blame Bush.
Typical Kerry. Wilson was his foreign policy advisor, was expecting a SOS appointment. Kerry fired him the day the senate intel report waa released.
The way Iraq vets were treated was similar to Vietnam and polarized from ww2.
PTSD was low after ww2 because these men killed and saw many horrors but it was okay because you heroes saved the world. That to me is closure.
Vietnam now Iraq oh it was all a big mistake or worthless. For nothing or based on lies.
You send a man to hell and back then say it was a mistake? You maybe had to shoot a kid held as a shield by a terrorist then get told it was for nothing?
But then I hold unusual views on both wars having seen enough to say both were necessary and just no matter how ugly the left portrays them.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 AM

32,649 posts, read 13,790,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Actually his remarks about McCain was about him being labelled a hero. At least for his actions the day he was shot down, that label is quite a stretch.
McCain -- Did He Show the Right Stuff?

As for that gold star parent apparently the clinton campaign didnt check that dirtbags closet for skeletons.

https://t.co/mJuUYw60nK

Khan is a muslim brotherhood agent making a career out of encouraging the replacing of our constitution with sharia law.
Hes just the kind we need to keep out.
Khan did had complete faith in the constitution, carried a copy wherever he went.
McCain spent several more years at the Hanoi Hilton when he refused to be used as a prop.
There should be some minimum standards for truthfulness on CD. Oh I’m sorry you got your info from that Pulitzer Prize winning publication shoebat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or