Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Vietnam was not a good war. Most of those drafted said they'd have done the same if they were in Trump's position, be reasonable friend.

War is not fun, instead Trump worked to create a prosperous economy back at home by investing in American jobs that gave the vets job opportunities when they got home.

Oh, puleeze !!!!!! Trump partied while thousands of young men and women his age did the right thing. "Created jobs for veterans'? Yeah, if only he would have paid them when they got the work done.

Don't paint Donald Trump as some great creator of wealth for anyone but Donald J Trump. He didn't give a damn about the economy, only HIS economy. You are trying to put lipstick on a pig and call him something other than a pig..............he is, and always has been, a PIG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
When, and where did Clinton serve? Was he in Vietnam?

Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He had a deferment. Just like Trump.

If it's OK for Trump to have a deferment, then it's OK for Clinton to have a deferment. If not, then not.

You tell us - which do you think?

And - this discussion is about Trump's deferment. If you want to discuss Clinton's deferment, start your own thread.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-01-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No he was a draft dodger too.

Does that make you feel better about Trump being a draft dodger?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trump insulted and disrespected a Gold Star family and his fans did not blink an eye so they cannot lay claim to being patriotic in any way...ever!
Yep. This alone should have made every veteran and active service family an anti-Trumper. You do not go after gold star families and dis them when their family members have have given their lives for their country. And that's if they were still supporting this jerk after dissing John McCain's service.

Trump is a petty little man, and he continues to show us this every day.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:50 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I am not thrilled with a lot of what Trump has said,or done but at least he can pay tribute to a group of veterans who have been ostracized for decades.............

Two million members on CD and I have not seen one mention of this day...........

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...erans-day.html
"Two million members on CD and I have not seen one mention of this day..........."

How much coverage has the LSM given it?

I knew about it, so what?

P.S. I did 2 TOURS in Nam and don't see the need to report on everything.

I am happy Trump did but, don't need a big discussion on it.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
It's 2018, no one cares about deferments during the Vietnam era. Everyone knows someone who found a way around going. The war was a sham & everyone knows it. That doesn't mean we don't show respect to the men who did go. It also doesn't mean those who didn't aren't allowed to pay respect to those who did or have opinions on the subject. Period.

The visit to Vietnam is also not only about honoring our veterans and pledging to upgrade the VA for them, but it's also about other issues. Vietnam is a likely meeting point for the Trump/Kim Jung Un summit so it's a safe bet that's being discussed/scouted out. Trump also said he'd be meeting with Prime Minister Phuc to talk about trade agreements while there. Just because Trump pulled us out of the TPP, doesn't mean he doesn't want mutual beneficial trade agreements with those countries.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

If it's OK for Trump to have a deferment, then it's OK for Clinton to have a deferment. If not, then not.

And - this discussion is about Trump's deferment. If you want to discuss Clinton's deferment, start your own thread.
"then it's OK for Clinton to have a deferment."

I don't think he did.

"Clinton had apparently agreed to join the R.O.T.C. as a way of avoiding being drafted into service during the Vietnam War and later reneged on that promise when his draft-lottery number ensured that he would not be selected."

Washingtonpost.com Special Report: Clinton Accused

Trump got a medical deferment by the military doctors of the Selective Service Department who examined him just as Biden got deferments for being in college.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:00 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No he was a draft dodger too.

Does that make you feel better about Trump being a draft dodger?
The war was not just. Anyone who could have gotten out of the war should have.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:07 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I don't think the way the Vietnam draft was done was fair at all, but hey life isn't fair. That being said I knew several older relatives that stayed in college, got meaningless grad degrees JUST to stay out of the draft, and Vietnam. I did not like that they nor anyone could do that.

If you want to reap the benefits of this society, you should serve if called to do so.. Vietnam sucked, and was fought in the wrong way, however.

No, I don't think dodging the draft by Trump, and Clinton was a positive for either of them. At least Bush flew fighter jets in the Guard, when he could have had a much safer desk job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies