U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:56 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,635,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers;

I'd expect a Republican intern pool to be whiter than the average population, given the state of politics today. But there's a point where we need to start asking questions.

Well, how about the author of the piece.... ACTUALLY ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE WRITING.

You know, the way reporters and writers USED TO DO before all news became an extension of the editorial.

She probably didn't bother. Nor does she really care. But here we are, with no answers, and only a "criticism" offered by the author of the piece who was apparently too lazy to do any digging about a subject or concern that upset her so much she wrote an entire article about it without offering much beyond the critique itself.

Because what this country needs MORE of, is un-researched critique and editorialized assumptions in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 03:07 PM

1,183 posts, read 455,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, how about the author of the piece.... ACTUALLY ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE WRITING.

You know, the way reporters and writers USED TO DO before all news became an extension of the editorial.

She probably didn't bother. Nor does she really care. But here we are, with no answers, and only a "criticism" offered by the author of the piece who was apparently too lazy to do any digging about a subject or concern that upset her so much she wrote an entire article about it without offering much beyond the critique itself.

Because what this country needs MORE of, is un-researched critique and editorialized assumptions in politics.
It's an OPINION piece. An editorial. Commentary. It's not a news piece. The subject has become news because of the attention it's getting. But the actual article was not a news report. Never was. You can actually see most of the word "opinion" in the link on the original post.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because they chose not to, freedom to choose not to apply; you want to take that freedom away and make people apply? Did you ever apply?

Nope. The point whooshed right over your head. I neither want to force people to apply nor force them to hire certain people. The problem is that the group does not organically reflect our population as a whole.

Put the shoe on the other race. If the Obama WH had an intern group that had one white woman, but no white males, would that have garnered any attention? Of course it would have.

So the situation begs the question, why aren't there more people of color? If the answer IS that none applied, that's troubling. This is a highly prestigious and competitive internship, there have been more people of color in the past, what made this situation happen? If it's that they didn't apply, it begs the follow-up--WHY NOT? Some of us find that not good.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,635,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
It's an OPINION piece. An editorial. Commentary. It's not a news piece. The subject has become news because of the attention it's getting. But the actual article was not a news report. Never was. You can actually see most of the word "opinion" in the link on the original post.

Doesn't change a damned thing. I expect more. This isn't the "rant about things in your local neighborhood" section of your local newspaper we're talking about here. We're talking about a national publication and audience. The author CAN - AND SHOULD - find information about WHY something is the way you see it and then provide an OPINION on it. But that's not the case here. It was published as-is because it fit the pre-ordained and acceptable narrative being pushed by this particular publication. And lest you think I think it's a problem only on the left, it's very common on the right as well.

Here, the author's basically like, "I see something I don't like. It troubles me." Or, done in the style of the tweet shown in the article: "Spot the difference." And I suppose it would be OK if presented neutrally, but we damn know the very opinion presents and UNEDUCATED ASSUMPTION about the cause of said difference. (Trump's a racist, his administration is racist. "Racist racist white supremacist bigot racist racist.") All white noise (no pun intended) at this point. Just a bunch of racist dog whistle red meat to the leftist anti-trump contingent who are obsessed with race because racial politics is the lowest and laziest form of politics.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Doesn't change a damned thing. I expect more. This isn't the "rant about things in your local neighborhood" section of your local newspaper we're talking about here. We're talking about a national publication and audience. The author CAN - AND SHOULD - find information about WHY something is the way you see it and then provide an OPINION on it. But that's not the case here. It was published as-is because it fit the pre-ordained and acceptable narrative being pushed by this particular publication. And lest you think I think it's a problem only on the left, it's very common on the right as well.

Here, the author's basically like, "I see something I don't like. It troubles me." Or, done in the style of the tweet shown in the article: "Spot the difference." And I suppose it would be OK if presented neutrally, but we damn know the very opinion presents and UNEDUCATED ASSUMPTION about the cause of said difference. (Trump's a racist, his administration is racist. "Racist racist white supremacist bigot racist racist.") All white noise (no pun intended) at this point. Just a bunch of racist dog whistle red meat to the leftist anti-trump contingent who are obsessed with race because racial politics is the lowest and laziest form of politics.

So, you don't understand what an opinion piece is? It is CLEARLY in a section labeled opinion, it contains a note that the author is a frequent contributor to CNN's Opinion page, and it is painfully obvious that it is an opinion piece. And, yes, op-eds have been a part of major news coverage since there's been news coverage.

If you and your ilk cannot wrap your minds around that, it does explain a LOT.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,485,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Well, what would you expect from a racist?
In related news: The NAACP Faces Renewed Criticism Over Lack Of Diversity

Film at 11...

Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 PM

8,074 posts, read 2,363,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Well, what would you expect from a racist?
I have no idea, but we're not talking about a racist in this thread. Given the demographics of who voted for Trump, it would be racist for the numbers of non-whites to be larger.

Sorry, taking things from whites because they're white is as racist as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or