U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,068 posts, read 1,448,376 times
Reputation: 1408

Advertisements

Accidental shootings aren't sexy though, so nobody pays attention to those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2018, 10:05 AM
 
33,931 posts, read 18,449,106 times
Reputation: 7488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
(I started to reply to his post last night then gave up and went to bed instead.)

His post does address yours in a way. His article does address the study that yours was based upon and denigrates it for various superfluous reasons. Then using the same logic that they denigrated the study you posted, they come to their own opposing conclusion.

They castigate self-reporting surveys then quote another sourced self-reporting survey to come to their opposing conclusion. However, if you look closely at their source, they even spun their own conclusion incorrectly.

Their conclusion was that use of a firearm is not significant in cases of self defense. When in actuality, the study says that they queried 14,000 individuals and the difference between firearm use and any weapon used is .1%. Their source study showed that in the 127 cases (out of 14,000) in which any weapon was used approximately 4% resulted in injury (the difference between any weapon and specifically a firearm is .1%)

Their source does not neatly line up with what they were trying to prove. They were most likely counting on someone not looking too deeply into it.

I posted no study, I posted a link that shows thousands of people who have used guns to save themselves...and obviously he/she did not go into the link and then follow the links to the actual story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
486 posts, read 184,079 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I posted no study, I posted a link that shows thousands of people who have used guns to save themselves...and obviously he/she did not go into the link and then follow the links to the actual story.
I was talking about cuebald's link in refutation to the CDC study. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 02:15 PM
 
32,293 posts, read 26,146,754 times
Reputation: 18931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
That teacher in Florida left the loaded gun behind in a public restroom and the drunk homeless guy picked it and shot into the wall with it. The teacher finally realized realized what he forgot and returned. But then the police arrested the teacher. Now this is one of the teachers they want armed in the schoolrooms?
this teacher is obviously not a responsible gun owner, otherwise he would never have "forgotten" where he left his gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,281 posts, read 4,386,045 times
Reputation: 5667
Anecdotes are not statistics, & even statistics can be misleading when the writer is unethical. But my right & ability to defend myself are Constitutionally guaranteed; maybe you should move to a place where Despots decide how/whether you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 05:48 AM
 
Location: USA
16,862 posts, read 8,665,100 times
Reputation: 12713
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Anecdotes are not statistics, & even statistics can be misleading when the writer is unethical. But my right & ability to defend myself are Constitutionally guaranteed; maybe you should move to a place where Despots decide how/whether you live.
It seems people from New Hampshire understand what FREEDOM is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 AM
 
36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Reputation: 8284
Just 6 stories with NO stats to back up your claim?

I'll see your 6 stories and RAISE YOU OVER 500 PAGES of stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 AM
 
36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Reputation: 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Accidental drownings don't take out the guy standing next to you.
"Accidental drownings don't take out the guy standing next to you", they COULD!

Have you ever tried to save a drowning person when they go into panic mode?

Just another ignorant claim by someone with NO experience in what they THINK they know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 AM
 
36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Reputation: 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Funny how people always bring up cars and the number of deaths due to accidents or drinking or other bad car behaviors.

Yet every year, we as a civilization put so much money into improving the safety of cars trying to make them more idiot proof. At the same time we battle to get rid of drunken or even tipsy driving. The number of car related deaths are constantly coming down. At the same time, how often at there developments to make guns any safer. Aren't they in fact TRYING to make them deadlier?
" The number of car related deaths are constantly coming down."

As well as gun deaths, so what is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 08:13 AM
 
36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Reputation: 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We have strict restrictions on who can operate an automobile. Licenses must be routinely renewed. Vehicles must be registered and inspected annually. Every registered vehicle must be insured. You know, common sense regulation.
You can legislate PRIVILEGES, NOT RIGHTS. "shall NOT be INFRINGED"

Common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top