Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
5 mph bumpers,
Have nothing to do with safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, you are saying that this temporary blip over a couple years invalidates this century worth of data and makes my point moot? Seriously????
This proves the government lied to us about the "speed kills" mentality. Remember back in 1974 we were told the 55 speed limit would only last a year. Then the 55 limit became permanent because raising the speed limit would cause a "bloodbath" on American roads (or so the government told us).

Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Here's the same chart without the cherry-picking:

US Motor Vehicle Deaths

Accident deaths today are no better than the were in the 1950s.

(And, If I take a page from your book, and graph gun deaths to total rounds fired, guns are many orders of magnitude safer than cars.)
So, you choose a chart that shows basically the same thing, that deaths by auto are trending down. Thanks.

BTW, if you think that chart shows that there are the same number of deaths since the 50's then either you don't understand what the chart is portraying, or...

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-01-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
making cars safer since what ever starting point you wish to choose, is easy enough.seat belt, air bags, better suspensions, hood ornaments that are either removed entirely or are design to collapse when hit, 5 mph bumpers, side door beams, etc. are all tested and proven to work. and they are all integrated into the design of the car, and are able to be uses by anyone who drives the car, since they are automatic, and one doesnt need to do anything to use them other than get into an accident.

so what suggestions do you have for guns to make them safer without harming the ability of them being used by others in an emergency situation without having to reprogram the gun?

a lot of people suggest going to a "safe" gun that an only be used by the owner of the gun. but what good does that do if the owner is injured, and their friend cant use teh gun because they are not authorized to use that gun? the result? both people end up dead with a basically unusable firearm.

driving is a privilege not a right. but we already DO have common sense regulations on firearms, like its not legal to discharge a firearm for no reason in public. you also are responsible for negligent discharges as well even in your private abode. and we have laws on the books that dont allow criminals to own firearms, and we have laws on the books that dont allow the mentally ill, after they have had their due process rights, to own firearms. next argument?

no what he is showing you is that only those that are law abiding citizens actually follow the laws that are passed. his point is also that if you make something illegal, you only tie the hands of the law abiding citizens in this country.

for instance, if you ban the AR15, you only make criminals out of those that already own that weapon, assuming that your ban is one that requires that AR15s be turned in. criminals will still get their hands on the weapons, so all you are doing is making their crimes more illegal.

one other thing to ponder here, which you probably wont, when enacting laws, we need to truly think about the laws we push to enact, and make sure they are laws that we do need to enact, rather than just enact laws on a knee jerk basis. laws that are well thought out, and properly enacted are generally good laws that are effective, where as knee jerk laws that are not well though out, are generally failures.
So, I have to be a gun engineer to suggest that guns are not being made safer? Sorry, no sale. The point stands, cars are being made safer, while guns are not - certainly not at the same - or close to same rate.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-01-2018 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:22 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
So, I have to be a gun engineer to suggest that guns are not being made safer? Sorry, no sale. The point stands, cars are being made safer, while guns are not.
All hand guns today are made to be DROP SAFE. They have firing pin blocks, and other safety items that insure they will not fire unless someone PULLS THE TRIGGER. Yes, they are much safer today than ever. However, the best safety by far is the one between your ears.

Again, blame the idiot who uses the gun unsafely, not the gun. Guns just don't "go off".

Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Day in day out its the same liberal media that won't report anything to oppose their desired narrative.

Propaganda is not only what is reported but what is ignored.
Exactly, as there are daily examples of guns being used for good purposes, but rarely reported on. As you might imagine the NRA tracks reports (mainly from local news sources) of law abiding citizens using guns to thwart criminals. They publish those stories on their website and in their monthly magazines.

Regardless, people injure themselves hourly, every day of the year with all sorts of tools and cutting objects. Thus people can be careless, stupid, or a combination.
Ultimately the liberal/leftist attempts to demonize guns continues, despite them knowing it is a civil right of ours, that cannot be abridged according to our founding document.

`

Old 04-01-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
(1.)The main efforts towards the auto deaths, is via PSA's like don't drink and drive and don't text and drive along with STIFF penalties if you get caught DUI etc.

(2)If you feel that gun crimes should be HARSHLY prosecuted then we are 100% in agreement. (You likely don't see the other pitfall there but oh well.)

(3) Sooo, just how many cars out there prevent texting while driving? Hmmmm, mine actually has built in hands free so they're doing what?

Oh yeah, they're acknowledging people want to call or text while driving and trying to make it less un-safe because people do it anyway.

(4) The other big cause of death is excessive speed....but every years there no only aren't speed limiters built into cars....but they TOUT their power and acceleration etc.

Basically, car manufacturers don't stop texting, drinking and driving or speeding which they certainly could affect....and those are the 3 of the worst killers. (I suspect the top 3 at this point but I'm not looking it up, point made.)
1. As for the car safety... you gotta be kidding...
  • Radar equipped brakes to stop the car automatically.
  • Front ends designed to protect pedestrians hit straight on.
  • Seat belts.
  • Automatic Braking Systems that allow cars to steer while stopping instead of sliding.
  • Safety glass so people don't get cut to bits by broken glass.
  • Airbags so people don't slam their heads into hard interiors.
  • Disc Brakes
  • Windshield Wipers
  • Headlamps
  • Side Safety Lamps
  • Backup buzzers
  • Breathalyzer interlocks
  • Bumpers
  • Body Shell Crumple Zones
  • Roll over protection built into the roof

Plus hundreds of other improvements and you claim that the biggest innovation in automobile safety is the "Public Service Announcement?" Get real.

2. Are you sure you are responding to the right posts? I know this is your April Fools joke, right? You DO know I said not word 1 about this subject right?

3. I guess you haven't seen the new Ford commercial where the kid says to his dad... "Something is wrong with the car, I can't get text messages when I'm driving.

4. Cars are getting more powerful and faster every year since they were conceived, yet they get safer every year too.

You really need to check what you are saying, it makes no sense and is not correct - not by a long shot.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-01-2018 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM

37,166 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Texting and driving averages killing 11 teens a day.
They choose to use the phone and drive, they die because of their actions.

The are minding their own business and someone has an "accident" with a gun, either because they are grossly incompetent or grossly negligent, they're still dead, but it was not because of anything they did.

See the difference?

Last edited by cuebald; 04-01-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They choose to use the phone and drive, they die because of their actions.

The are minding their own business and someone has an "accident" with a gun, either because they are grossly incompetent or grossly negligent, and they're still dead, but it was not because of anything they did.

See the difference?
Until they drift across the yellow line and crash head-on into an oncoming car, killing the driver and critically injuring the passenger. Or hits a church bus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driver-...xting-witness/

Most media outlets don't like to report on stories of crimes being stopped or lives being defended with guns. You have no idea how often it happens.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'll take my chances against a nut with a knife any day....wouldn't you?
nope, i would rather take my chances against someone with a gun than a knife.

Quote:
So, I have to be a gun engineer to suggest that guns are not being made safer? Sorry, no sale. The point stands, cars are being made safer, while guns are not - certainly not at the same - or close to same rate.
where did i suggest that you have to be an engineer? i asked what suggestions you have to make guns safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies