U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
800 posts, read 1,097,924 times
Reputation: 932

Advertisements

We as consumers pay more for our commodities due to China's demand. I've posted in other threads about a vast majority of my area's foods and fuels that don't hit our market, but are instead exported straight overseas.
Beef prices for instance, soared 30% when China re-instated imports of it from the USA.

Also, in the industry I work in, I'm plugged in on much more of the goings on. Did you know that a Chinese group was attempting to take over a company that owns many power plants in the USA, and that thankfully a Federal judge blocked the sale over concerns of national security? Our trade deficit and massive debt with China is what gave them the financial power to try to pull something like that. It's just the beginning if we don't start making changes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:17 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,790 posts, read 2,555,459 times
Reputation: 5573
Just read a story in the Wall Street Journal that outlined how BMW and Mercedes, not Ford and GM, will be the auto manufacturers hit hardest by the Chinese tariffs. Good news you might say. Not so much. Where are those cars getting hit with the highest tariffs built? South Carolina & Alabama. Solid Trump country.

Karmic justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,902 posts, read 13,468,757 times
Reputation: 22019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
We as consumers pay more for our commodities due to China's demand. I've posted in other threads about a vast majority of my area's foods and fuels that don't hit our market, but are instead exported straight overseas.
Beef prices for instance, soared 30% when China re-instated imports of it from the USA.

Also, in the industry I work in, I'm plugged in on much more of the goings on. Did you know that a Chinese group was attempting to take over a company that owns many power plants in the USA, and that thankfully a Federal judge blocked the sale over concerns of national security? Our trade deficit and massive debt with China is what gave them the financial power to try to pull something like that. It's just the beginning if we don't start making changes now.
China resumed the import of US beef in July of 2017.

Here are ground beef prices since then:
June 2017 $3.68
July 2017 $3.75
Dec 2017 $3.71
Jan 2018 $3.64
Retail Ground Beef Prices By Month - Beef2Live

I don't see any increase at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,296 posts, read 39,643,592 times
Reputation: 18713
I loved Steve Bannon's response: "To hell with Wall Street". Good comments in general and food for thought in this debate. Bannon is a Wall Streeter himself and no fool like Trump, so it pays to listen when he is talking trade.


https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/stev...ll-street.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM
 
5,093 posts, read 2,469,189 times
Reputation: 4648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Mr Bully who thinks he rules the world just got hit where it matters: pork. Good for China for putting Trump in his place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:20 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,663,372 times
Reputation: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why would the Republicans boot Trump out of a trade war with China?
Because the Chinese know who they are targeting and hurting with these tariffs - the farmers of Trump land and greedy corporations/investors who stand to gain the most from Trump being in office. This is gonna come back to bite the GOP the more Trump messes with the economy... We all know the only thing that stands in the way of them not going up against Trump is the Trump base and healthy economy. Once the economy tanks and the Trump base abandon ships, the GOP will too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,790 posts, read 2,555,459 times
Reputation: 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Because the Chinese know who they are targeting and hurting with these tariffs - the farmers of Trump land and greedy corporations/investors who stand to gain the most from Trump being in office. This is gonna come back to bite the GOP the more Trump messes with the economy... We all know the only thing that stands in the way of them not going up against Trump is the Trump base and healthy economy. Once the economy tanks and the Trump base abandon ships, the GOP will too...
Superb point. China didn't grow a $11T GDP by being dopes. They know exactly where, and how hard to hit us and Trump is leading with his glass jaw...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
8,903 posts, read 2,681,734 times
Reputation: 6825
China is retaliating to Trump's massive tariffs by aiming directly at his supporters

It just occurred to me, if China really wanted to have an effect in ^that^ regard, they should put a tariff on coal imports from the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
 
5,334 posts, read 1,980,027 times
Reputation: 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
China is retaliating to Trump's massive tariffs by aiming directly at his supporters

It just occurred to me, if China really wanted to have an effect in ^that^ regard, they should put a tariff on coal imports from the US.
Agree on coal. China targeting soybeans was a brilliant move on their part -- among the top states for soybean exports are Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Trump's reelection chances went down the drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM
 
310 posts, read 99,046 times
Reputation: 163
Would like to see some of the complainers in this thread suggestion to stop the 300 Billion in annual damages caused by IP theft.

Just bend over and take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top