U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 PM

32,440 posts, read 16,612,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The Kenyan sure did not do much about it for the previous 8 years.
So the conservative plan is to blame President Obama? No offense, but haven't you used that quite a bit already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:57 PM

66,460 posts, read 33,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm honestly curious about this because half of the posts on this board are trashing liberals for homelessness that happens in cities.

So what's the conservative, small-government plan to get them off drugs and integrated into society?
Starvation or motivation....
Opportunity is all around us.

Just be armed when they get desperate.

Mother Nature has always naturally culled the weak, before they brought the species down....

Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 PM

31,009 posts, read 13,571,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The Kenyan sure did not do much about it for the previous 8 years.
The Kenyan? That's just disgusting and childish. But what did you expect Obama or any President to do about homelessness? Congress controls HUD money and homelessness is largely a local issue.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 PM

31,009 posts, read 13,571,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Starvation or motivation....Opportunity is all around us. Just be armed when they get desperate. Mother Nature has always naturally culled the weak, before they brought the species down....
What makes you think they will stand around and let you shoot them? With our super tough gun laws I'm sure that if they felt threatened they could arm themselves, dontcha think?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not a conservative, but the correct answer is always private charity.
i worked for the salvation army hospitality house as a winter program driver. my duties included taking the homeless to various shelters around the city, and bring them back in the morning, pick up food and other donations as necessary.

i dont have any answers for the homelessness problem, i can only tell you what i heard while taking these guys to and from the shelters, and give you my impressions.

first impression is that i dont think there is a solution to the problem. most of these people chose this lifestyle. i listened to two guys complaining that the pay rate in tucson, at the time, was only 15 dollars an hour for a welding job where as back in michigan it was more like 25 dollars an hour. and these guys REFUSED to take those jobs because it wasnt enough money, they would rather have someone support them instead.

these people, as i noted, pretty much all chose the lifestyle of being homeless and they didnt want to change. oh there were some that did want to make changes in their life, and were willing to give it a try, i had a couple as helpers when picking up donations. some lasted some didnt.

in the end, these people are going to have to want to make changes in their lives, and they are going to have to want something better before ANY program, public or private, will do anything.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:29 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,503,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And are you going to write an amendment to the constitution to make that legal? You can't round people up and ship them off to special retraining places. It's a complex problem, but somehow New York has managed to provide shelter for all but 4,000 of their 63k + homeless.
We've been down this road before; there is a point at which both the most dysfunctional of the beneficiaries of the societal "safety net", and the functionaries operating it simply fail to communicate, and the rational majority caught in between pays the price. Sooner or later, there will be some sort of crisis, probably a public health issue, and the pragmatists will take the bull by the horns, and the supposed "rights" of the irrational minority will go into the trash bin -- the duration, severity, and definition of the worst abuses (on both sides) to be identified and addressed as the issue plays itself out. I'm sure you and your fellow do-gooders will protest loud and long, but there are turning points at which we all have to live in the here and now.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:32 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,461,269 times
Ask your fearful leader Trump. He knows everything. He’s got an answer for you even if he has to make it up. He’s a great story teller and major Liar.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 AM

14,412 posts, read 26,232,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Yu begin with what's known as vagrancy statute; they were quite common in an era when adult men outnumbered adult women and family structure was stronger. We don't need to revert to something quite that harsh, but a basic contract of social (and societal) responsibility needs to be re-formulated and re-established.
First, we'll pretend these statutes aren't already in place in many jurisdictions. So they go to jail and/or get fined. What does that solve?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,441,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am a Conservatarian, and that's what I think also. Salvation Army is one of the best as are religious based charities. United Way is a scam. Also get them into AA, and rehab programs.
Also a Conservatarian and I agree. Most of our homeless are alcohol/drug addicted or have mental health problems....these need to be addressed and job training can be part of the program or a follow up program.

Starts with marriage before kids, values being taught, correcting behaviors, treating disorders and addictions, skills being taught, and incentives to be productive.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,503,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We've been down this road before; there is a point at which both the most dysfunctional of the beneficiaries of the societal "safety net", and the functionaries operating it simply fail to communicate, and the rational majority caught in between pays the price. Sooner or later, there will be some sort of crisis, probably a public health issue, and the pragmatists will take the bull by the horns, and the supposed "rights" of the irrational minority will go into the trash bin -- the duration, severity, and definition of the worst abuses (on both sides) to be identified and addressed as the issue plays itself out. I'm sure you and your fellow do-gooders will protest loud and long, but there are turning points at which we all have to live in the here and now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
First, we'll pretend these statutes aren't already in place in many jurisdictions. So they go to jail and/or get fined. What does that solve?
Hopefully, they eventually get to a stage where, if they withdraw, they survive, but not much more; but if they show any willingness to play the game by the rules, they advance with each step. (And I can offer no solution for those who choose to remain completely irrational.)

I'm reminded of the incident in which the late Vernon Jordan was asked to eulogize a ne'er-do-well in his congregation who met an early end in a bar fight; his response:

"We all said he'd come to a bad end, and last Saturday night in the City of Birmingham, somebody proved we were right; Like a dog he lived; like a dog he died; Undertaker .... do your duty!"

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-02-2018 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or