U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 12 days ago)

58,082 posts, read 40,870,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The conclusion in the link :

Conservatives who endorse unscientific ideas are blasted by the scientific community, yet progressives who do the same get a free pass. It is important the problem be recognized, and that free pass revoked.

It's also important to read the first line of the article: "Conservatives rightly get a bad rap for anti-science policies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 AM

3,651 posts, read 2,460,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The conclusion in the link :

Conservatives who endorse unscientific ideas are blasted by the scientific community, yet progressives who do the same get a free pass. It is important the problem be recognized, and that free pass revoked.
You've never read about progressives getting blasted for vaccine lunacy? Really?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 9,078,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
On average
Generally speaking

Guess what that all means? There are still a whole lot of people who fall outside of these norms. You seem to want to take "on average" and "generally speaking" and apply it across the wide range of people.

If you understand science, you understand what it means for something to be the average. It means that quite a lot also falls outside of that average range.

You can't use "on average" and "generally speaking" to discriminate. And that means a woman who aims to be a CEO or a man who wants to be a nurse or a teacher. A boy who is great at writing in school or a girl who excels at math and science. These things happen frequently no matter what the average is.

Yet, even as a liberal person, I can see that we shouldn't expect equal numbers of female CEOs to male CEOs anymore than we can expect equal numbers of male nurses or preschool teachers. But we should understand that they all have great value and should not face discrimination in achieving their goals.
I am not saying anyone should be discriminated against and nowhere did I imply that should be the case. I think you may be reading what you want to read.

It is obvious that averages don't mean everyone must fit an exact mold. Some men can multi-task very well. But, is there not a lot of science saying women do it much better on average and this should not be denied? This seems to be accepted by everyone. Why are other examples of science so easily denied?

Men will gain more muscle on average than women....this is biological. Testosterone. Sure, some women are stronger than some men, sure your exercise and diet also play a role....yet it is established science that men are clearly naturally better suited to muscle growth - no? I've even had students challenge me on this...and deny this saying that men and women are equal in terms of ability to build muscle.

I am saying point blank, my experience is that I don't know anyone that has denied the science that there is biological advantages of the female brain in certain regards, but I do know many people who will deny, ignore, get angry when you point out the science that there are biological advantages of the male brain on average.

I know no one that denies that genetics plays a role in your bone structure. Yet I know plenty of people who deny, ignore, get angry when you point out genetics plays a roll in the structure of your brain.

Why is this?

Is there a simple guide to help us when we should dent science?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM

6,976 posts, read 1,751,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is there a general rule of thumb for when I am to deny or ignore science to comply with modern PC?
GMO's would be the one area where they PC types totally ignore science and helping poor people throughout the world because they think Monsanto is pure evil. They are willing to throw the entire 3rd world under the bus. They ignore the reality that humans have been bioengineering crops for centuries and because we can do it quicker and better now through modern science somehow its a bad thing.

People will starve to death because of this ignorance on the left.

Its an equivalent to climate change. Ignore the facts because you have already decided what the answer is.

People will die because of this ignorance on the right.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM

26,413 posts, read 8,972,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's also important to read the first line of the article: "Conservatives rightly get a bad rap for anti-science policies."
The second line is :But progressives can be just as bad.

It puts the idea expressed in context. ( the problem isn't one sided )

The conclusion I posted has it right.

The context is important and cherry picking lines out of context is deceptive.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM

6,976 posts, read 1,751,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It wasnt that long ago that science though radium was a good product that had all kinds of potential uses!
Science is always evolving and learning from the past. Creationists are still stuck in 2000 year old mud.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM

9,478 posts, read 4,551,920 times
If science was not challenged, there would be no learning.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM

4,285 posts, read 838,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If science was not challenged, there would be no learning.
From a challenging science standpoint, various explorers and scientists proved the Earth is not flat over 5 centuries ago. Learning wise, many Flat Earthers have yet to accept that.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM

9,478 posts, read 4,551,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
From a challenging science standpoint, various explorers and scientists proved the Earth is not flat over 5 centuries ago. Learning wise, many Flat Earthers have yet to accept that.
Stephen Hawking, Einstein and others made huge advances by challenging "accepted" science.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:17 AM

4,700 posts, read 4,341,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
When is it okay to deny or ignore science?

There are biological differences that make the female and the male mind perform differently on average. Yet I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that women are generally speaking better at some mental tasks on average like multi-tasking and there is a biological basis for it...while on the other hand I do see people denying/ignoring science that there is a biological basis for the male mind on average to outperform female minds in some areas....or that hormones such as testosterone and estrogen do play a role on the brain. For example, Testosterone impacts spatial processing power.

These biological differences could spell out into career differences just as muscles can.

I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in your structural traits of your body like how tall you are, but I do see people deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in the structure of your brain and this structure impacts intelligence, memory, processing, etc...

Is there a general rule of thumb for when I am to deny or ignore science to comply with modern PC?
Don't worry about PC. As an old time misogynist, you can take your testosterone and go get lost in left field where you belong.

As a woman in the sciences I had to put up with BS like this, but I thought such attitudes were dying out. Guess I was wrong. So what were YOUR grades in differential calculus? Organic chemistry? Physics? Did you win a scholarship to study climatology at a prestigious university?

Posts like this are what cause women to join the feminist movement. And I'll thank you to keep your ignorant fingers off my ecological sampling techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or