Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM

29,404 posts, read 14,607,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It isn't a strawman when it's unique to the U.S.

Whoopeedoo. Your job related security is now being compared to kids being schooled where they should have the right to not even be concerned over their safety instead of being reminded of the fubarred society they're living in. The fact they're needing protection to this degree should shame every American but no, you choose to compare it to your job requirements.......

The U.S. is the only one suffering this stupid catch 22 both caused and perpetrated by it's own citizens.

I repeat; these kids know the difference. You aren't fooling them.

Very interesting. Wonder why there is a need for the Safe Schools Declaration in the firearms restricted, therefore violence free land of the UK ? We are by no means perfect but regardless of what you think, there is roughly a a 1/12,000,000 chance of being shot in a mass shooting, your chances of dying from a car accident , or tripping, or drowning in your own bath tub are higher.

Are Safer SchoolPartnerships necessary?About one in four school pupils is involved in

[offending in any year(11) and most schoolchildren experience bullying at somestage(12).Some schools are high crime risk environmentsfor children and there is increasing concernabout the carrying of weapons in schools. Thisis supported by survey evidence that showsthat one per cent of school children attendingschools in Inner London report carrying a realgun and six per cent report carrying replicasand air guns in the previous year(13).Highprofile incidents are rare, but when they dooccur they often disproportionately affect thewhole school community.

http://www.police-foundation.org.uk/uploads/catalogerfiles/safer-school-partnerships/safer_schools_briefing.pdf[

Last edited by scarabchuck; 04-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Something went crazy with the fonts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,196,881 times
When I was in high school more than 30 years ago, we had to have ID's to get into one of three entrances to the building. Armed security guards were at each door. We couldn't leave or re-enter without an ID and a special pass.

Okay, no one searched our backpacks...

I remember watching a shoot out from a bank robbery from the third floor of my high school. This was early 80's.

I think the kids are being just a bit petulant about these new restrictions. They are all, in fact, in place quickly and for the kids' safety. Other measures (metal detectors, etc take much more time and money).

Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,810,540 times
Seems like good measure to me.

Honestly they should do this in all schools.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM

21,455 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I think they wanted to repeal the second amendment and ban a wide range of guns

but turning schools into maximum security prisons is just the price they have to pay for conservative policy.
Well, there you go. We know the end goal is to repeal the 2nd amendment, but the kids at least have been instructed not to say it outright like you did. It’s okay though, because we aren’t stupid.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,810,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
When I was in high school more than 30 years ago, we had to have ID's to get into one of three entrances to the building. Armed security guards were at each door. We couldn't leave or re-enter without an ID and a special pass.

Okay, no one searched our backpacks...

I remember watching a shoot out from a bank robbery from the third floor of my high school. This was early 80's.

I think the kids are being just a bit petulant about these new restrictions. They are all, in fact, in place quickly and for the kids' safety. Other measures (metal detectors, etc take much more time and money).
I was a high school student in the 90s. We also had to have IDs, go through metal detectors and had armed police officers in our school.

I was happy for all the protection because we'd had a couple of gang fights. I and some of my classmates actually asked for more protection, was ignored, so we called the media and held a walk out. I got suspended from class but also met with the principal and went to some board meetings to advocate for better security and we got better security.

This is one of the reasons why I always tell people that things in the 80s and 90s in regards to crime were much worse than they are today. I personally feel like my son is less safe because they stopped all the security measures we advocated for in the early 00s when in my community they built new schools. They also don't want to pay for all the security. Security is expensive.

These kids, I feel for them, but as a parent of a high school student, I'd want all that they have a more.

Note our bags were checked at school too.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM

29,404 posts, read 14,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, there you go. We know the end goal is to repeal the 2nd amendment, but the kids at least have been instructed not to say it outright like you did. It’s okay though, because we aren’t stupid.

Exactly.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Seems like good measure to me.

Honestly they should do this in all schools.
I'm hoping they will do this for my local high school. Just days after the Parkland shooting an 18 year old crazy in a nearby town was arrested. He was planning a massacre at his high school and had very detailed plans for when and how he was going to do it. Another kid turned him in. Now of course the bleeding hearts want him turned loose because he didn't actually shoot up the school. There was even a letter to the editor in the local paper saying his plan was a cry for help rather than an actual intent to do it.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 AM

21,455 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was a high school student in the 90s. We also had to have IDs, go through metal detectors and had armed police officers in our school.

I was happy for all the protection because we'd had a couple of gang fights. I and some of my classmates actually asked for more protection, was ignored, so we called the media and held a walk out. I got suspended from class but also met with the principal and went to some board meetings to advocate for better security and we got better security.

This is one of the reasons why I always tell people that things in the 80s and 90s in regards to crime were much worse than they are today. I personally feel like my son is less safe because they stopped all the security measures we advocated for in the early 00s when in my community they built new schools. They also don't want to pay for all the security. Security is expensive.

These kids, I feel for them, but as a parent of a high school student, I'd want all that they have a more.

Note our bags were checked at school too.
Great post! I really don’t understand these kids’ aversion to this new security, especially when the school down the street from me has long required clear backpacks. It isn’t that much of a trial. I have never heard the kids at that school complain about it either.

Schools were more dangerous when we were young, though we seemed to escape the mass shootings, at least in my area. It’s scary and these kids are traumatized, which is why I’m a little shocked they’re complaining. I probably wouldn’t want to step foot back into that school without these measures.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,472,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Very interesting. Wonder why there is a need for the Safe Schools Declaration in the firearms restricted, therefore violence free land of the UK ? We are by no means perfect but regardless of what you think, there is roughly a a 1/12,000,000 chance of being shot in a mass shooting, your chances of dying from a car accident , or tripping, or drowning in your own bath tub are higher.
You're still missing the point and I do not expect that to change.

Disagreeing with each other is going to have to be our default mode.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,214,391 times
I'm 57, and it's somewhat depressing to see what schools have become over the decades. Some of us remember a time when there was no worry about school shootings, there was no school security officer, and your major concerns were that you didn't finish your homework or that you were late for the bus.

In some ways I think the past WAS better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies