Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

“Trump Is Like, ‘How Can I **** with Him?’”: Trump’s War with Amazon (and The Washington Post) Is Personal
With the West Wing finally calm, Trump is contemplating a multi-front campaign against Jeff Bezos.
Quote:
Now, according to four sources close to the White House, Trump is discussing ways to escalate his Twitter attacks on Amazon to further damage the company. “He’s off the hook on this. It’s war,” one source told me. “He gets obsessed with something, and now he’s obsessed with Bezos,” said another source. “Trump is like, how can I **** with him?”
Moderator cut: copyright violation

'The stores are all gone': Trump continues raging at Amazon in White House meeting
Quote:
Trump also said that the Post Office "loses $1.47 on every package" it delivers for Amazon, an inaccurate claim. The USPS actually does make money from parcel delivery, including Amazon's packages. But, Trump appears to be referring to a recent estimate from Citi that showed the Postal Service would need to charge $1.46 more per package to be in line with market rates from private competitors like UPS and FedEx.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Trump draws blood in feud with Amazon, Washington Post

‘It’s war’: Trump reportedly seeking ways to hurt Amazon

If Trump Declares War On Amazon, Consumers Will Be Among The Casualties

I mean, I don't love Amazon (although like any consumer today, I'll shop there occasionally) - they certainly have issues. But...how is this not an abuse of power by Trump?

Feels like a dangerous game he is trying to play.

Edit: from JAMS14
https://twitter.com/RWPUSA/status/980871920223707141

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-04-2018 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
And I hope he has jobs for the thousands of people Amazon employs. What an asinine thing to do.

The word racketeering and abuse of power comes to mind... Mueller, Oh, Mueller....

Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Wonder if Trumpists will now boycott Amazon?
AND
Join Ivanka Trump's online store, get a "prime membership" and hope she starts selling something other than handbags.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
So much for free market and capitalism.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
The president of the United States using his office to attempt to take down a legitimate business because he doesn't like the owner? His tweeting about Amazon has already dragged the stock market down.

Quote:
"At 9:54 a.m., Amazon's stock was up 1.4%. A minute later, President Trump tweeted his latest attack on Amazon, arguing that it should pay "many billions of dollars" more to the US Postal Service.

Eleven minutes later, Amazon's stock had fallen into the red — and so had the Nasdaq.

If the president wants to punish Amazon, he's succeeding. The rest of the stock market is simply collateral damage."

Trump's latest tweet takes down Amazon stock and the Nasdaq
But what does Trump care about the economy of the U.S. when he has a personal vendetta to follow?

Surely some Republicans somewhere will finally step up and tell this dangerous idiot that he has gone too far.

Yeah, who am I kidding. The useless GOP will sit silently by, as always.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The president of the United States using his office to attempt to take down a legitimate business because he doesn't like the owner? His tweeting about Amazon has already dragged the stock market down.

"At 9:54 a.m., Amazon's stock was up 1.4%. A minute later, President Trump tweeted his latest attack on Amazon, arguing that it should pay "many billions of dollars" more to the US Postal Service.

Eleven minutes later, Amazon's stock had fallen into the red — and so had the Nasdaq.

If the president wants to punish Amazon, he's succeeding. The rest of the stock market is simply collateral damage."

Trump's latest tweet takes down Amazon stock and the Nasdaq

But what does Trump care about the economy of the U.S. when he has a personal vendetta to follow?

Surely some Republicans somewhere will finally step up and tell this dangerous idiot that he has gone too far.

Yeah, who am I kidding. The useless GOP will sit silently by, as always.
I keep wondering when enough will be enough and the GOP will grow a collective pair and stop this nonsense. This latest vendetta is a blatant abuse of power.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I like Amazon I’m a prime member for years .

But they are definitely reaching a monopoly level the way they under cut competition including those third party sellers ( mom and pops ) that sell on their platform and pay dearly for the opportunity ... especially as they get into the grocery space and now they want to get into healthcare and other industries .

Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
So much for free market and capitalism.
Welcome to Crony Capitalism II

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I keep wondering when enough will be enough and the GOP will grow a collective pair and stop this nonsense. This latest vendetta is a blatant abuse of power.
So why is this being blamed on the Republican Party (the Left's favorite whipping boy, but one which as been completely emasculated by the Trumpsters) when it is the Democrats, and their completely clueless power base who created the Frankenstein?

Power, and the pursuit of it, are a cancer (predominately, but not exclusively "blue") on our nation. The phenomenae that are Amazon and WalMart could only have arisen in an economy where individual effort is so heavily taxed, regulated and penalized that only a handful of powerful individuals like Bezos, Gates, Buffet and the Walton family are capable of co-opting the Deep State; as usual, we have met the enemy, and (s)he is us.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-03-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I like Amazon I’m a prime member for years .

But they are definitely reaching a monopoly level the way they under cut competition including those third party sellers ( mom and pops ) that sell on their platform and pay dearly for the opportunity ... especially as they get into the grocery space and now they want to get into healthcare and other industries .
Walmart is a guilty as Amazon, and not a peep from Trump.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:48 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
And I hope he has jobs for the thousands of people Amazon employs. What an asinine thing to do.

The word racketeering and abuse of power comes to mind... Mueller, Oh, Mueller....
Way more people work/used to work in retail jobs that Amazon is putting out of business.

And eventually, Amazon will replace many the thousands who work for them with automation and drones etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies