Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I disagree with your conclusions and opinion.
It was certainly not in harmony with "Securing rights and liberties."
BUT During a state of war?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...e_World_War_II
... On December 7, 1941, the day of the Pearl Harbor attack, a Japanese Zero crashed on Niihau, the smallest of the inhabited Hawaiian Islands. Three of the island's inhabitants assisted the downed plane's pilot. This help rendered by persons of Japanese descent to the Japanese pilot may have been one of the incidents leading Roosevelt to issuing Executive order for internment.
- - -
One reason why the U.S. was able to get away with the Executive Order is because the written document had no specifications. It gave the Secretary of War (now known as the Secretary of Defense) and military commanders the authority to exclude any person from a designated area. So essentially, although its authority was used only against Japanese Americans, it could have affected any American because there were no geographical locations specified, no ethnic groups mentioned, and there was no distinction made between citizens and aliens, which is why they were able to force even Japanese Americans who were U.S. citizens into the internment camps. The Executive Order basically gave the military full control.
- - -
What is heinous under peacetime, may be justified under martial law.
And one thing for certain, it eliminated any chance of infiltrating Asian spies into the west coast.
It was heinous, PERIOD. The vast majority of those interred were AMERICAN citizens. Whose rights as AMERICAN citizens were grossly violated. Not only did we violate the rights of AMERICAN citizens, but our acts encouraged Canada, Mexico and several countries in South America to impose egregious policies against citizens in their countries of Japanese descent. What we did was not justified. And it went against our entire heritage as set down in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 10:11 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
During this month of remembering MLK's work and legacy, I was struck by how well dressed MLK and his followers were. Dressed neatly in suits and ties, just like civilized white folks. And a huge contrast with the hot mess that is the BLM movement. Can black people not see the difference in presentation of their cause for community improvement and equal treatment?

And IMO so much could immediately improved if blacks men would just stop wearing black coloured hoodies. Wearing black hoodies makes them seem like wannabe thugs and thieves trying to look all stealthy and invisible at night and in underlit areas.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Wanted to note I am not a huge BLM supporter but I find it odd that the OP doesn't know about black women being killed by police.

I remember years ago when police killed a black woman in Lima who actually was holding an infant. I remember this because I had family living in Lima at the time and it was a huge story

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/us/30lima.html

I remember this particular story of a woman who called police for assistance (black woman) was shot and killed by police. She was 3 months pregnant last year

When Police Kill: Charleena Lyles, a Black Woman, Was Pregnant When She Died

There was another black woman who was pregnant killed by police in a raid last year

Pregnant woman used as shield by boyfriend, killed in Gifford SWAT raid | WPEC

There was the little girl who was arrested at gun point by police in Grand Rapids even though they were supposed to be looking for her white aunt last year

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/u...-arrested.html

There was Korryn Gaines

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ice-this-year/

Various activists cite these and others in regards to black women and girls being harrassed or killed by police and also black women who die while in police custody.

There was also a black girl killed by police in Detroit that got a lot of attention in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Aiyana_Jones

I'll also note that there are a lot of black women activists who actually do believe that BLM and other activists groups do not focus enough attention on the harassment that black women and girls face at the hands of police. Though black women are not killed as often as men, we are harassed at the same level as black men by police. Women by nature are not seen as threatening to society as men since black men in particular are often characterized as being animals. However, black women are ignored or seen as "crazy" and not important, which is why we are often harassed and abused by police officers. Note, as a black woman, I've also been harassed by police and even received a settlement for the mistreatment inflicted upon me. Oftentimes it is our association with black men and the fear that LE and society in general has against black men that causes us to become victims of the criminal "justice" system and LE in America, this is especially so in urban areas.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
During this month of remembering MLK's work and legacy, I was struck by how well dressed MLK and his followers were. Dressed neatly in suits and ties, just like civilized white folks. And a huge contrast with the hot mess that is the BLM movement. Can black people not see the difference in presentation of their cause for community improvement and equal treatment?

And IMO so much could immediately improved if blacks men would just stop wearing black coloured hoodies. Wearing black hoodies makes them seem like wannabe thugs and thieves trying to look all stealthy and invisible at night and in underlit areas.
MLK was murdered when he was wearing a suit.

I like to see people dressed well too but it doesn't really matter what people wear in regards to the society viewing them as "civilized."

It is also important to note 50 years after the death of MLK that he was overwhelmingly disliked by white Americans in the years leading up to his death and he was only thought positively after he was killed in his suit and tie.

It is also important to note that MLK was looked poorly upon because he actually did focus on rights for black Americans primarily and not "all people" or "all Americans." He was a black activist. Both he and Malcolm X were labeled as terrorists by our government and both wore suits.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
But if it was truly because of racism, there would be an equal number of black females shot and killed by police.
how do you figure?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:39 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
MLK was murdered when he was wearing a suit.

I like to see people dressed well too but it doesn't really matter what people wear in regards to the society viewing them as "civilized."

It is also important to note 50 years after the death of MLK that he was overwhelmingly disliked by white Americans in the years leading up to his death and he was only thought positively after he was killed in his suit and tie.

It is also important to note that MLK was looked poorly upon because he actually did focus on rights for black Americans primarily and not "all people" or "all Americans." He was a black activist. Both he and Malcolm X were labeled as terrorists by our government and both wore suits.
But my point was that the black civil rights movement has more credibility to others when they behave and act like... those they want to be equal to. So a march of black protesters looking like the Obamas and the Huxtables are going to make a much bigger difference than what is going on now in Sacramento with blacks trying to terrorize white people.

And showing their anger in public, just adds to the black community's stereotype that they have anger management issues and general poor self control. Anytime they break storefront windows and loot, it adds to other races being unwilling to hire them.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll also note that there are a lot of black women activists who actually do believe that BLM and other activists groups do not focus enough attention on the harassment that black women and girls face at the hands of police. Though black women are not killed as often as men, we are harassed at the same level as black men by police. Women by nature are not seen as threatening to society as men since black men in particular are often characterized as being animals. However, black women are ignored or seen as "crazy" and not important, which is why we are often harassed and abused by police officers. Note, as a black woman, I've also been harassed by police and even received a settlement for the mistreatment inflicted upon me. Oftentimes it is our association with black men and the fear that LE and society in general has against black men that causes us to become victims of the criminal "justice" system and LE in America, this is especially so in urban areas.
IMO black women have a problem with their reputation for being too strong and too quick to go on the attack when they feel they've been disrespected. And probably it's because of having to deal with baby daddies who leave them with the childraising.

Over the decades, I've had tons of experiences at work and in public where a black woman has be quick to be in someone's face and threatening physical violence or using the race card when they feel they've been dissed or their space was violated. So much overreaction and they always refuse to take it down a notch and actually have a calm and productive conversation about the situation. It seems as it would kill them to come across as being "weak". And maybe this style of dealing with conflict works in their black society, but it doesn't work in a diverse one.

So IMO some of the fault with how society treats black women starts with their own way of dealing with conflict.

Again, it's not the colour of anyone's skin, it's a culture clash.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
But my point was that the black civil rights movement has more credibility to others when they behave and act like... those they want to be equal to. So a march of black protesters looking like the Obamas and the Huxtables are going to make a much bigger difference than what is going on now in Sacramento with blacks trying to terrorize white people.

And showing their anger in public, just adds to the black community's stereotype that they have anger management issues and general poor self control. Anytime they break storefront windows and loot, it adds to other races being unwilling to hire them.
I have mixed opinions on this topic, but ultimately I do agree with you. On one hand people have the freedom to dress, talk, and look however they want. However, I think it ultimately does perpetuate negative stereotypes of African Americans when they dress certain ways. When I ride the train or am out in public, I sometimes see blacks with their pants sagging or speaking slang (Ebonics) or certain hair styles, and subconsciously it does bring to mind some negative stereotypes. Many of the time they seem like very good people, but subconsciously it can trigger stereotypes that I have to remind myself to ignore. So while it's completely their right, I think it can have negative consequences in terms of perpetuating negative stereotypes.

I have the same initial reaction if any race displays behavior like that, however, in my experience blacks are much more likely than other races to display those characteristics (dress, speech, certain hairstyles) out in public that trigger a reaction. Not saying that it's fair or right, but I think it does perpetuate negative stereotypes. There is a segment of the black population that continuously displays these characteristics, which is why it's hard for the negative stereotypes to die. I try as best as I can to look past it, but it can be difficult.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:25 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have mixed opinions on this topic, but ultimately I do agree with you. On one hand people have the freedom to dress, talk, and look however they want. However, I think it ultimately does perpetuate negative stereotypes of African Americans when they dress certain ways. When I ride the train or am out in public, I sometimes see blacks with their pants sagging or speaking slang (Ebonics) or certain hair styles, and subconsciously it does bring to mind some negative stereotypes. Many of the time they seem like very good people, but subconsciously it can trigger stereotypes that I have to remind myself to ignore. So while it's completely their right, I think it can have negative consequences in terms of perpetuating negative stereotypes.

I have the same initial reaction if any race displays behavior like that, however, in my experience blacks are much more likely than other races to display those characteristics (dress, speech, certain hairstyles) out in public that trigger a reaction. Not saying that it's fair or right, but I think it does perpetuate negative stereotypes. There is a segment of the black population that continuously displays these characteristics, which is why it's hard for the negative stereotypes to die. I try as best as I can to look past it, but it can be difficult.
My parents had a couple of furniture stores in the 1970's. And one summer, he had a terrific crew of black college students delivering to the Boston suburbs. And he got feedback from his non-black staff that the further out into the white middle class suburbs the delivery truck would go to... the more urban the black crew acted. Just messing with the customers' minds, but while in fun, it really wasn't very nice.

I think that it's a shame that the black community clings to ebonics and gangsta styling as if it is an important part of their culture, a sign that they haven't sold out to "the man". Sadly, it's what holds them back. No other cultures or races want to speak ebonics or dress like that, not if they are of the academic or career track mindset. And certainly, they don't want their children mimicking urban ghetto stylings or thinking that making baby mommas is acceptable.

I can't think of any positive stereotypes coming out of ghetto neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
Quote:

So according to your logic, if African-Americans were to dress more conservatively, they could suddenly break the shackles of racial discrimination in employment, education, and housing. If black males would abandon their trendy Hip-hop style, they could abruptly end the historical tradition of abuse and murder perpetrated upon them by racist cops.

To that I say, POPPYCOCK!

Racism has been a part of American culture since it's inception. Americans share deep roots of racism along with their ancestors.

Racist white cops quite often have fathers and uncles who were also racist cops. If their fathers weren't cops, in most cases, their fathers were racists just the same. Many klansmen of the South chose LE as careers, primarily for the purpose executing their terroristic agenda against blacks. Some cops join LE today for the same reason.

Racists are going to behave like racists regardless as to how one chooses to dress. You may chose to dress in a more inconspicuous manner, in order to avoid specific attention. However, that's no guarantee that you're going to avoid overt aggression or being murdered by some rogue racist cop.

Besides, since when has the verdict for poor taste in fashion been death by firearm.

BTW

Who the hell lurks in the dark under the stealth of night wearing black baggy pants and a hoodie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies