U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 AM

16,804 posts, read 9,127,464 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/martin-...le_email_share

Riley, a black writer at the WSJ, argues that MLK was correct when he said "We Canít Keep On Blaming the White Man." He argues that America has cultural deficiencies, which is in good part responsible for the racial inequalities.

Quote:
Racial gaps that were steadily narrowing in the 1940s, í50s and í60s would expand in the 1970s, í80s and í90s, which suggests that the disparities that continue today arenít being driven by racism, notwithstanding claims to the contrary from liberals and their allies in the media. It also suggests that attitudes toward marriage, education, work and the rule of law play a much larger role than the left wants to acknowledge. More marches wonít address out-of-wedlock childbearing. More sit-ins wonít lower black crime rates or narrow the school achievement gap.....

....Activists who long ago abandoned Kingís colorblind standard, which was the basis for the landmark civil-rights laws enacted in the 1960s, tell black youths today that they are victims, first and foremost.

A generation of blacks who have more opportunity that any previous generation are being taught that America offers them little more than trigger-happy cops, bigoted teachers and biased employers. Itís not only incorrect, but as King and a previous generation of black leaders understood, itís also unhelpful.
I see some truth in the bolded portion.

I have seen white (liberal) teachers tell black students that "all whites have an advantage over all blacks in America."

I don't see this as helpful. Besides not being true,* it fosters resentment and a lack of effort. I have had black students point blank say that they don't try, because the system is stack against them. Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophecy? I won't try hard academically, because I am told the entire society is stacked against me. So then I fail, because I didn't try, which is proof society is stacked against me.

Would it not be better to preach the optimism of opportunity, success stories, progress, and hard work?

We all have various talents and skills and can find some success in society with them. I've seen so many talented and so many intelligent kids not put their strengths to use and it goes to waste.

*I debated the teacher a bit that claimed that all whites have an advantage over all blacks in America. He wouldn't even grant me that the Obama girls have an advantage over some of their poor white peers. The Obama girls have two ivy-league graduate parents, belong to the 1% economically, had the benefit of private schools and great tutors, have guaranteed political and business connections due to their parents, come from a loving household of by all accounts two good parents...but he insisted that they are at a disadvantage against a white kid living literally below the poverty line in a single parent home in rural America. And he refused to budge on this in front of students.....how does it help students who believe this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies