Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
HuffPo- How Asian Immigrants Learn Anti-Blackness From White Culture, And How To Stop It

Anti-blackness in the Asian American community is not a discreet, whispered sentiment. It’s a blatant belief that’s been engrained into many immigrant minds —  something force fed to us as children of immigrants as we attempt to integrate into American culture, where anti-blackness and white supremacy ideals are also rampant. It takes awareness and willingness to unlearn the false narratives we’ve been taught and recognize them as misguided fear passed down to us from our overprotective parents.

When Asian immigrants leave their home countries to come to America, often to escape poverty or tyrannical regimes, they’re often faced with the concept of race for the first time. Growing up, I often attributed my mom’s erratic behaviors to her being naive and gullible. She treated articles she read as holy scripture, shunning anything that was forbidden by the obscure newspapers she got at the Korean market. Many times, the literature she read perpetuated problematic ideas of other minorities, especially black people. As I became older, I realized that this impressionable mindset comes from an intense desire to survive in a country that functions on rules and customs unfamiliar to the ones in their former cultures.

As Asian immigrants work toward building successes in a foreign environment, they begin taking cues from the people they see as most successful. Because America’s historical oppression of people of color, these people are usually white. To many Asian Americans, whiteness often becomes equated to success, and all the elements that have been conditioned to come with the paradigms of whiteness. One of those, historically speaking, has been anti-blackness.*

*see slavery, systemic oppression, mass incarceration, encouragement of harmful stereotypes, micro aggressions, and police brutality as just a few examples.

hmmm, Learned discrimination is a two way street.

If certain minorities stopped targeting Asians specifically for beatings and robberies maybe Asians wouldn't have such negative feelings against those minorities.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cb7715bfd3d4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:25 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
The racist left has gotten a pass for to long. Those days are over.
The examples of racism by the left is nearly a daily occurrence.
The OP's HuffPo article calls for more indoctrination not education.
Racism in Asian nations is not new
or something encountered for the first time when arriving in the US.
Total BS and lies so common by the left.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
hmmm, Learned discrimination is a two way street.

If certain minorities stopped targeting Asians specifically for beatings and robberies maybe Asians wouldn't have such negative feelings against those minorities.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cb7715bfd3d4

IMO

Most African-Americans like Asians...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,703,590 times
If Asian-Americans learn racism from whites, where do Asians learn it from?

https://www.google.com/search?client...4TjNZ1xntac%3D

Old 04-04-2018, 09:39 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Default And there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few8kJ0zfnY

Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Racism mostly exists in leftist rags/tv. They feed it and feed on it

Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Yet another fluff piece that doesn't accurately represent reality.

Asians in America don't 'learn' to be racist against blacks from whites. That's utter nonsense. There's plenty of racism throughout Asia (and the rest of the world for that matter, Latin America, Europe, etc.) against people not of their own race/ethnicity, so where did those asians learn that racism? Sure, in a homogeneous society you're going to have some of that.

But in America, where asians are specifically targeted for hate crimes and crimes in general by some blacks, that seems like a lot more of a legitimate reason for some asians in america to adopt anti black attitudes, than 'learning' it from whites.

The fact is that hate crimes against Asians in America by blacks are either downplayed or made out to be something ludicrous like 'cultural' differences, or in a perverse twist, blamed on the asian because they were rude or something, instead of being called out for what it is.

Now I know the majority of black people aren't like this, they are law abiding good people, but let's not sugar coat this whole issue that only makes it worse with ridiculous articles like these.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
No one needs to be taught to dislike the behavior of certain groups of people.

Asians are highly intelligent, more so than whites even. They can figure this out on their own.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The racist left has gotten a pass for to long. Those days are over.
The examples of racism by the left is nearly a daily occurrence.
The OP's HuffPo article calls for more indoctrination not education.
Racism in Asian nations is not new
or something encountered for the first time when arriving in the US.
Total BS and lies so common by the left.
Mmm pretty sure you can't decide whether or not it is lies as this is an opinion piece.

You know -- coming from Canada - where I know there is racism -- I have to tell you -- the USA does many things better than Canada and racism is one of them.

My oldest kids were 7 and 9 when we moved to the USA and I didn't even think about racism being something I needed to talk to them about. It wasn't long and they and I learned very fast it was a BIG deal still. An eye opener -- that was in 1997. I think it has gotten worse.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
HuffPo is alt-left trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies