Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Call me old school but if a cop points a gun at me, or even stops me on the highway, I'm going to do exactly what he says. His holstered loaded gun and coworkers with loaded guns with the backing of Uncle Sam tend to have some authority.

It seems to be working so far in all my interactions Ive had with cops. Maybe as a black man I'm just lucky.

Option 1: Do what the cops says, don't argue
Option 2: Get loaded gun pointed at your face

Easy choice for me. I can't speak for white people but for black people there is no room for error.
Not me. I exercise my white privilege by assuming a crouched shooting stance and pointing at the cop with whatever I have in my hand. They always give me the benefit of the doubt. Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 04:13 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
This thread makes it painfully clear that Gun Control is necessary.
When the police are so fearful that they have to open fire on someone they know to be mentally ill before even issuing commands, it's clear that we as a society have to deal with these issues.

We need gun regulations to protect our police!

Police should not have to fear that everyone has a gun.
Police should not have to fear that the mentally ill have guns.
The police should not have to be in fear every time that they stop a car to give a ticket.

Cops aren't stupid. You think they depend on gun regulations written on paper (criminals dont obey) for their protection? Lol. No they protect themselves with bullet proof vests and firearms.

Had this man came after police with a tire iron or small knife, his fate would have been the same.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Yeah, everything ALWAYS looks like a gun to cops. And we’re always supposed to take their word for it.

Whatever.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:47 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
This thread makes it painfully clear that Gun Control is necessary.
When the police are so fearful that they have to open fire on someone they know to be mentally ill before even issuing commands, it's clear that we as a society have to deal with these issues.

Police should not have to fear that everyone has a gun.
Police should not have to fear that the mentally ill have guns.
The police should not have to be in fear every time that they stop a car to give a ticket.

I realize you're just being sarcastic, but some might take that seriously.

NYC is one of the most controlled, restricted cities on the planet for handgun ownership. It is nearly impossible for a civilian to get a permit to carry or OWN a handgun in that backwards craphole. The cops could ONLY assume the individual was a criminal-since by definition virtually anyone in NYC with a handgun other than LEO is.

What is painfully clear is the utter ignorance of a great many of the general public and C-D posters as to just how quickly a situation will turn deadly if you draw and fire. Police acted in the only way they could in the face of an imminent, deadly threat. And they showed tremendous restraint to only fire 10 rounds between 4 officers. Anyone, police or civilian, is trained to shoot to stop the threat. And given the lack of power of handgun rounds, threats are very rarely stopped instantaneously (baring a hit to the CNS).

What is also abundantly clear is that we need to forcibly commit far more of the mentally ill than we do to secure institutions. Both for their safety and for that of the general public. We need to dramatically streamline the process for commitment, as well as expand secure facilities. Obviously this guy and so many like him should not be out on the street.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are people really this stupid? Oh yeah they are. If a cop is pointing his gun at you they are doing so because they are worried that you are going to hurt them or someone else. If they are screaming at you to get down or put up your hands or to do a little dance you do it.
The amount of people that do not follow their orders in a highly charged moment and then get shot as a result is ridiculous.

If the cops are in the wrong the matter will be resolved. You might get an apology, you might even get a settlement but you will certainly live to see another day.
It reminds me of the shooting of Philando Castile.

Cop pulls over the car, Philando sitting on the passenger side states he's armed, cop says don't take it out and guess what happens. Philando proceeds to pull it out and gets shot in the chest.

Quote:
According to a police dashcam video/audio, after being asked for his license and registration, Castile told the officer he had a firearm, to which the officer replied 'Don't reach for it then'. After saying 'Don't pull it out' twice[9], the officer shot at Castile seven times.

Reynold's testimony was that Castile was shot while reaching for his ID after telling Yanez he was armed
It's always the same scenario. Victim says they were reaching for wallet/ID and cop says they were reaching for a gun. But as you stated, the point is DON'T MOVE or reach for anything. Listen carefully and react slowly.

The guy with the loaded gun pointed at your face is in charge right now and what you do will decide if you live to see another day. We've all seen the videos. Cops give 1 warning and then light the victim up. 1 warning is all you get.

The only time where suspects make it out a live is when they do exactly as the cops say (see the ending of a high speed car chase).

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-05-2018 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
If I was a cop, i'd refuse to respond to any crime in a black neighborhood.

black activists and PC politicians offload the issues of crime and mental illness to the police who are supposed to know that the person has bipolar disorder and drank but was “never a bad person.”

despite the 911 calls from the people who lived in the neighborhood that a fellow peep was menacing people with a gun in the neighborhood, the police are blamed.

Let the black neighborhoods police themselves....

Old 04-05-2018, 06:23 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I was a cop, i'd refuse to respond to any crime in a black neighborhood.

black activists and PC politicians offload the issues of crime and mental illness to the police who are supposed to know that the person has bipolar disorder and drank but was “never a bad person.”

despite the 911 calls from the people who lived in the neighborhood that a fellow peep was menacing people with a gun in the neighborhood, the police are blamed.

Let the black neighborhoods police themselves....
That solution would make too much sense. It's much easier to call the police when a criminal is committing a crime, then blame the police for taking proactive measure to neutralize the threat or protect themselves.

Sadly, cops are usually walking on egg shells just by patrolling or responding to calls in these neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM

862 posts, read 519,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, everything ALWAYS looks like a gun to cops. And we’re always supposed to take their word for it.

Whatever.
I am not saying if the cops are justified or not, but there is no honest way you can look at those pictures with how he was holding it and pointing it up in peoples faces and not initially think it's a gun.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 PM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
Quote:
Cop pulls over the car, Philando sitting on the passenger side states he's armed, cop says don't take it out and guess what happens. Philando proceeds to pull it out and gets shot in the chest.
Um, wow. That's not even almost how it happened.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Families that usually have all sorts of time after the fact to attend rallies, press conferences and file lawsuits, but never had the time to deal with their family member that needed help beforehand.
No. Families that are attending rallies, press conferences and then going to court, after their family member has died are doing so because it's become theirnew JOB to do so... because of their new income stream due to talk show interviews and then the multi-million dollar lawsuit settlement.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-06-2018 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies