Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
The same job classification is still in existence..................The way the work was accomplished is not even close. In fact a few years before I retired when telling some of the new hires what we were expected to do and what we had to do in the 70's and 80's...........they flat out usually called us liars........cut a rail in half with a sledge hammer and a chisel..........no power tools.......lifting rails by hand with 4-6 people.......when I started they were doing things the same way they were being done at the turn of the century..........
That's fair enough. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It definitely sounds like it was hard work when you first started out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Lots of people have received assistance from their parents and grandparents. My husband's parents paid for him to attend college and bought him a car. My grandparents gifted me with $10k to make a down-payment on our first house, and at fifty-something, he and I are a lot closer to being Boomers than Millennials. In turn, we're paying for our kids to attend college. This is nothing new.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's probably as much a function of their coming up in a world where they were told they had to get a degree and work in a cubicle to make it in society.
^^^Hasn't it been the baby boomers telling the millenials just that all along? That their only real option is to go to college. I'm gen-x and I remember that mantra from the baby boomers all too well. The boomers have at least contributed to the conditions of skyrocketing college costs and the screwed up situation where jobs that don't actually need a degree for performance still require it.

The bottom line is that society went haywire while the boomers had control of it.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
^^^Hasn't it been the baby boomers telling the millenials just that all along? That their only real option is to go to college. I'm gen-x and I remember that mantra from the baby boomers all too well. The boomers have at least contributed to the conditions of skyrocketing college costs and the screwed up situation where jobs that don't actually need a degree for performance still require it.

The bottom line is that society went haywire while the boomers had control of it.
I was told in 1968 that I would never amount to anything if I did not go to college. So us boomers were fed the same BS...............

Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
they were forced to pay extremely high tuitions if they wanted a decent education
It's too bad so many of them went for an expensive 'studies' indoctrination instead of an actual education. If they hadn't they would be able to pay off their debts.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That their only real option is to go to college.
You can cross the bridge without jumping off it as well...

Why do you think student loans are the only way to attend college?

With all the ap/ib/dual credit for <$100/hr in high school, you can enter and save a lot of money skipping general reqs

Edit: why do many people treat loans as the first and only option? And don't say crap like it is the only option due to high costs, it isn't and college is still fairly affordable

Last edited by MLSFan; 04-06-2018 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

With all the ap/ib/dual credit for <$100/hr in high school, you can enter and save a lot of money skipping general reqs

Edit: why do many people treat loans as the first and only option? And don't say crap like it is the only option due to high costs, it isn't and college is still fairly affordable
The average in state cost of college is currently over $20,000 per year. That's hardly "fairly affordable".

I agree about the AP classes, I hope my children will have the opportunity to do that. I also hope that they're able to pick up some scholarships to supplement the 529 plans that I've set up for them.

For many though, student loans really are one of the few viable options.

The most affordable public 4 year college near me, is currently over $10,000 a year in tuition alone.

Even if a student was working 30 hours a week at a minimum wage job in addition to their studies, they couldn't afford to live, plus pay all of their tuition.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

I posted the current cost for the University of South Carolina in post #18. When I went to school there starting in 1970, tuition was $550 a year. Today it's over $12,000. Salaries and costs of other things have not risen as fast or as far as the cost of going to school in the United States.

$12,000 is 33 hours per week at minimum wage with no taxes taken out. That does not count all of the other costs of going to school and simply staying alive. If America values its future, it will find a way to educate its people without beggaring them.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
So all of you trashing millenials -- is that how you raised your kids.

My millenials are working hard for the money and making some good cash -- yours aren't -- oh I wonder why?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So all of you trashing millenials -- is that how you raised your kids.

My millenials are working hard for the money and making some good cash -- yours aren't -- oh I wonder why?
Not trashing them. just tired of them blaming boomers for the problems they encounter...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies