Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:44 PM

37,185 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Actually we need more construction. Los Angeles is artificially full. Because for years people refused to believe that we live in 3 dimensions

"Build upwards? Are you mad?"..

Congrats Angelenos, you goth the worst traffic and housing crisis in the country..
Like Aldous Huxley said, "Los Angeles is nineteen suburbs in search of a metropolis".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 03:47 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I did it for 27 years for a steel company and made a good living, and I retired comfortable. The drawback was, it got to be boring as heck a lot of the time, especially the last five years or so. No job is perfect, no matter how good it might be.
I agree. The dream can get dull. But just because you had the skill or talent for something higher than a hard labor job doesn't mean your lazy.

If hard labor is your thing, then by all means go for it!. If it's the best you can have to sustain on your way to your real goal, but go for it as well.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:49 PM

37,185 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I agree. The dream can get dull. But just because you had the skill or talent for something higher than a hard labor job doesn't mean your lazy.

If hard labor is your thing, then by all means go for it!. If it's the best you can have to sustain on your way to your real goal, but go for it as well.
I did both in my life. It really is nothing more than a matter of what you get used to. When I was outside in the summer, I wanted to be in an office, When I was in an office, I wanted to be outside in the summer.

People are crazy as hell, me included. Go figure.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:57 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
We see what spending bill the baby boomer in office just passed. very "compassionate" towards the millennials...
the cheeto is in a class all his own. a low class at that.

anyway, next on the conservative agenda is social security and medicare. they can't wait to slash those.

in the land of the wealthy there are no so-called generations. one is judged only by portfolio size.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:58 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Only relevant if you're a millenial and a parent.

Also the study points out that the largest source of millennial debt is student loans. Guess which generation decided it would be a good idea to shift the cost of higher education from older taxpayers to younger students?
What is that question meant to imply. Most of my fathers generation worked jobs and saved for college. Some even were working while going to college, as their parents didn't have the money.
Heck, my dads best friend put himself through medical school by working after class, and when he got home took ice baths to keep himself awake to study.

My generation probably received a little more help, but I worked while I went to college as well.

So why shouldn't the current crop of kids do the same thing?

`

Old 04-05-2018, 04:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What is that question meant to imply.
That the issue is far more complex and nuanced than the analysis provided in the OP.

That it's a bit ironic, as well, given the whole circular nature of what's happening. Millenial choices do not occur in a vacuum, they are driven in large part by policies that were enacted by older generations, so it's amusing to see y'all try to mock and deride millenials.

Quote:
Most of my fathers generation worked jobs and saved for college. Some even were working while going to college, as their parents didn't have the money.
Heck, my dads best friend put himself through medical school by working after class, and when he got home took ice baths to keep himself awake to study.

My generation probably received a little more help, but I worked while I went to college as well.

So why shouldn't the current crop of kids do the same thing?
It's not about whether they should. Many do, or at least they attempt to. But the money you can earn as a part-time student will not put a dent in today's tuition at a 4-year university.

Last edited by le roi; 04-05-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Boomers also typically had a wife that stayed home with the children, had small homes that had multiple children to a room, one car, ate out rarely, and very few luxuries. That would be unthinkable today.
Wrong generation. Boomers themselves were raised in way you described, by parents whose extreme frugality was shaped by surviving the Great Depression. Both spouses working became the norm when Boomers we’re raising their families, along with bigger homes, multiple cars, frequent travel and dining out. Say what you want about Boomers; they wanted more out of life than just eking out a living. And they were willing to work for it.

I’m not a Boomer, btw.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 04-05-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 04:16 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
How much was college tuition in 1982?
College was cheaper in 1981-82, BUT guess what? The economy was horrible, interest rates high, no gas. And you actually had to apply and qualify for student loans. Nobody stood around whining about what they deserved.
Nobody paid my way; I did it myself by working my tail off in high school to get scholarships and holding down a job.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
lol worker shortages are not because of "Laziness," they are because of (A) A labor market that collapsed and (B) a huge influx of illegal construction workers who'd work for half the cost, and their deportation.

i knew plenty of millenial construction workers back in 2006-2008. It was a solid gig for a while. Then the housing market collapsed, they all got laid off in 2008-2012 and moved into other careers. Now the people who laid them off are complaining that they can't find workers, which is just typical short-sighted American business practice.

Stop trying to add some kind of moral spin on peoples' rational economic choices.
heres a "rational economic choice"...........if you cannot afford college and you are unemployed......whats to keep you from getting a job in construction if they are desperate for workers?

Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
heres a "rational economic choice"...........if you cannot afford college and you are unemployed......whats to keep you from getting a job in construction if they are desperate for workers?
anything, I suppose. maybe this hypothetical, broke, unemployed millenial has no arms or legs.

or nothing at all. Maybe this hypothetical, broke, unemployed millenial has nothing keeping him or her from working construction.

seems to be a rather vague question. In any event, construction is cyclical, so they are constantly vacillating back and forth between 'desperate to hire' and 'desperate to fire.'

Last edited by le roi; 04-05-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies