U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM

10,918 posts, read 2,980,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
As of May 6th 2018, Real Clear Politics shows Trump's average approval rating is 44.2%
https://dyn.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

The day before he was elected, RCP shows Trump's average approval rating was 42.2%.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tein-5952.html
This is actually a decline because all the 3rd party votes are out of the picture.

Total 3rd party votes are about 5% - so if we assign 1/2 of them to Trump, that means he's less popular than when elected.

Also, his DISAPPROVAL rate is about 53-54%, which is a solid majority of the country. Disapproval rate means they specifically don't approve - which is different than "don't know" or "don't care".

To my knowledge, he has had the lowest numbers in recent history in just about everything. Looking back at crooks, Nixon won the general election by 1/2 a percent with about 44% of the vote. Yet his first term average was about 56% approval.

You can cheery pick and find what you desire your conclusion to be - but ask a Presidential Scholar or historian or Gallup and you will see that Trump comes out dead last so far.

Typically, a POTUS will start high and then decline as their term goes by.

But all bets are off when war comes and when this country loses it's mind - which are both things we are dabbling in now.

Always keep in mind that there is this 25-30% of Americans who are so partisan...and so authoritarian...that they liked GW even after the entire economy was destroyed and we lost two wars....with lots of dead and wounded, etc.

The repercussions will go on for decades from those events - yet about 28% still approve. So, take the difference between that 30% or so, and see where they lie....

Of that 70% who might move one way or another (most are independents), 14% approve and 54% disapprove.

That is just one way of looking at it. But you cannot discount that 30%. It might fall to 20% if Trump actually DID run into the street and gun down some innocents (especially illegals). But it's still there and represents 1/2 or more of his approval rating.

That group is made up of
deplorables - racists, bigots, etc.
corporations and money men/women - who will sell their souls for anything (tax cuts from deficit)
authoritarians - who always go along with those who speak strong BS.

and I'm sure a few others. Some are actually sane, but those people don't know the man (I lived in Atlantic City and saw very clearly how he works....not win-win, but win..lose-lose-lose). That is no basis for a government.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 PM

48,273 posts, read 25,470,312 times
What’s his approval rating with Mueller and Avenatti.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:45 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,788,214 times
Great, er, start.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 PM

55,857 posts, read 39,393,979 times
Quote:
You mean Daniels? I don't think people care about her.
I find her boring personally.

And his utter lack of integrity?

His inability to tell the truth?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 PM

9,421 posts, read 2,951,647 times
Cool story guys, but Trump's poll numbers are the WORST of any POTUS since Polling began.

So feel free to delude yourselves, the reality is Trump is destroying the republican party.
We Dems are thrilled to see Trump keeping his "core" engaged, because it is driving millions of new dems to the polls.

Trump is doing a great job turning out Blue votes and driving Independents into the blue...

Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM

8,048 posts, read 1,918,386 times
Quote:
You mean Daniels? I don't think people care about her.
I find her boring personally.
Trump is personally disliked by many Americans. First impressions are lasting impressions. I am not saying they hate him, they disapprove. His approval rating should fluctuate, going higher and lower over time. If the trend is generally upward that's good.

For any prior president things like a gangbuster economy or a foreign policy coup would make their approval soar. Normally approvals rise and fall quite a bit and the same people who disapprove of a president might approve later, then disapprove and then approve again, depending upon the differing circumstances over the his term. It's not like people are changing their minds, the circumstances change and each issue is viewed separately, so the same people can approve of one episode and disapprove of another. Approval ratings are snapshots of that moment in history.

This president can't get 50% under seemingly any circumstance, which seems to indicate that he has lost the middle and many moderates of either party. They aren't persuaded. I would attribute this to him being the first president I can remember to not pivot to the general constituency after election, he is uncompromising. I think Trump supporters really like that about him, but the result is his support is not growing substantially.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM

14,651 posts, read 4,568,938 times
Quote:
As of May 6th 2018, Real Clear Politics shows Trump's average approval rating is 44.2%
https://dyn.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

The day before he was elected, RCP shows Trump's average approval rating was 42.2%.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tein-5952.html
.........I love it when trump cult members use polls.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM

33,961 posts, read 27,780,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
He’s slowly but steadily gaining steam. First year was tough but I figured it would be. He’ll be one of the most popular presidents in history I predict after his second term.
Dust your crystal ball again.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:31 PM

33,961 posts, read 27,780,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Meh -- I suspect 2% is not enough to really indicate a significant shift.

But honestly, look we have NOT imploded. As much as I don't care for Trump and I'm not impressed with his performance it isn't as bad as I thought.

I can't ever accept Trump because I can't stand his moral character. I may be in a small minority but I think integrity, dignity, morality matter for our President (I know I would not have voted for Clinton -- I thought he was a creep too). But many Americans are becoming comfortably numb to his character, the chaos....etc.
This and I cannot stand the way he revels in having no idea what is happening and lack of interest in learning how to govern the country.

His tweets are bad enough, but when they are full of poor grammar and typos, it just makes him look extra inept.

We are at a point where GW Bush's "nucular" looks downright charming.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 PM

22,241 posts, read 27,016,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
He will probably be the most talked about but that will be because he will be at the bottom of the list!
The bottom of what list?

Quote:
He will not have another term.
Be careful with predictions. We all know what happened in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or