Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:27 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree to a point. However, their owners, management, and employees are by far Progressive with a radical, leftist agenda. So far this has coincided with their success, as many people that aren't progressive, or political at all have been duped, and continue to be exploited. Often, unknowingly.
...and I agree to a point as well. I have mixed feelings about FB (and I have an account that I use moderately). What you said is true, they've been duped and exploited, often unknowingly. I suspect FB tries to claim that it's the bad players (like Cambridge) who are the bad guys, but I am also fairly confident that FB looks the other way to avoid finding out info that will be bad for their business. It's easier to claim ignorance than it is to "fire" paying customers.

On the other hand, people have no excuse for being duped unknowingly. As a user, I know what FB does, and I put out information that I am OK with the world knowing. I don't share details I would not share with my employer, my friends, or my enemies. And to be fair, I'd imagine that City Data also is "free" to us because we provide value. Google definitely shares your search info, as is evidenced by what you see on FB. Just saying.

In the end, I blame FB, the people who use it as posters and the people who advertise and/or purchase the data. The only part I have control over is what I do, so I exercise that control to what I believe is my benefit.

And fwiw, I really don't care that companies and politicians get my data for statistical (anonymous) purposes. I am less OK that they use it to market to me directly, but I understand that is the price of free FB. Again, I'm careful what I post.

And for those who don't want to be marketed for the things they search outside of FB (that is CREEPY, BTW, that they can access your google searches), you can do your searches in Incognito mode.

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you Pilot1, I agree. Just flushing out my thoughts. Your response caused me to think on it more. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM

11,184 posts, read 10,960,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Pop up ads of my searches? I have been getting ads for items from Lowes, hunting knives, knee replacement surgeries.

Why? Then it hit me that these are things my husband has searched for online, not me. He is not even a FB member because he hates "social media".

So if I want to spy on him and what he is doing online, just go on FB and look at my pop up ads.
Dread the day you hop on the computer and see ad's for Russian brides pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Beside the privacy issues and now "the mothering" of its users, Facebook is racist or they wouldn't have banned Diamond & Silk.
Conservative black people who can think for themselves are one of a liberal's worst fears. Facebook did what any low life leftist outlet would do under the guise of saying they are "unsafe to the community".

Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,954,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've never had a facebook account and probably never will. I'm feeling pretty smug about that these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Same for me. Why would someone want to publish the intimate details of their life for all the world to see?
Don't get too comfortable, FB builds profiles on EVERYONE, even if you never registered. Unless you have zero friends who have you stored in their phone or email address book and they never shared that info with FB of course.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/08/in...profiling.html

Quote:
Facebook's shadow profiles are involuntary and there's no opt-out. Facebook has shadow profiles on people who don't use the service. For example, even though I'm not a Facebook user, multiple people have uploaded their address books containing my email and phone number to the system, allowing Facebook to create a profile of my contacts by looking at who lists me as a contact.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
At 2017 year end, FB had 2.2 billion active users.

None of them were forced to use it.

At 2017 year end, FB employed more than 25,000 people compared to 150 employees in 2006. No telling the ideology each employee.
All true. I have been a consultant/contractor to large, silicon valley tech giants in a non IT discipline. I have worked with upper management, and many of their employees at almost all levels, albeit mostly managerial. They were clearly liberal/progressives, some outwardly, and vehemently so. In that culture, their viewpoints were considered positives by their peers, and supervisors. Yes, that doesn't mean they are ALL like that as that is merely anecdotal on my part. The actions of the corporations are certainly leftist though.

Tech, communications, and social media corporations have a monopoly on information dissemination, and usage. They are by far one sided, politically.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Same for me. Why would someone want to publish the intimate details of their life for all the world to see?
You don't share the intimate stuff silly.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,133,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Don't get too comfortable, FB builds profiles on EVERYONE, even if you never registered. Unless you have zero friends who have you stored in their phone or email address book and they never shared that info with FB of course.

Also, Facebook plants their data gathering widgets on your computer when you visit a site that has a Facebook button. You don't have to be a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies