Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

The documents they were looking for go back years, before Stormy Daniels. I would never expect a judge to sign off on a search warrant just for a campaign violation.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM

1,196 posts, read 838,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If you want to explain how this raid, which is far from the first of its kind, will have any chilling effect on attorney-client relations, you are free to do so. Given that I have first-hand knowledge and experience of exactly how the attorney-client privilege works in both Federal and State Courts, how it applies, and what it protects, I anxiously await to hear your view on this point.

(Also, the Attorney-Client privilege has nothing to do with Constitutional Law. Just FYI.)
What he said MAGA:
https://youtu.be/1_MD_xdXEgg?t=32

Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Dershowitz needs to protect the premise of his book. While he's a great legal mind, he is making legal arguments that have nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Attorney-Client privilege is alive and well, there is no such thing as co-conspirator privilege though.
They went after Cohen for things that Cohen did. A lawyer has to deal with the same laws as us, and Cohen is no different.

The Taint team will look through the files to make sure that nothing that actually constitutes attorney-client privilege is used. The thing is, Cohen was and is Trumps partner (in crime), and if they were working together to commit crimes, Trump will be implicated.

Mueller is not resigning, and even Trump is not dumb enough to fire him.
Dershowitz has gotten all weird lately. Does he want to handle the appeal that will arise from any actions from the investigations?

In any case, I read some things he said about this Cohen search and seizure warrant, but I stopped when he talked about Mueller doing it. Because Dershowitz was WRONG. This wasn't a Mueller action. This was a New York state action against Cohen for bank and wire fraud (felonies).

Everything about this seems to have been done by the book. Lots of people signed off on it.

Dershowitz seems to have lost his magic. When you aren't careful to have the facts before you speak about them, you are no longer an ace attorney.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, but they still have the privileged commutations.

These people leaked highly classified information to undermine Trump, and his administration, Trump has to assume people who shouldn't have these privileged commutations are reading them as we speak.

Trump, and his team were fully cooperating, there was no need to raid his lawyer's office.

Alan Dershowitz is one of the most well respected legal minds today, he is correct, what Mueller did today was extremely dangerous, and undermines one of our fundamental rights, the right to legal counsel.
It's funny that Trump and Dershowitz jump to the conclusion that this raid was to go after Trump. Mueller referred the case to the Southern District of New York and the object of the raid may very well be Cohen, in which case there is no attorney/client privilege.

Also, there is a crime-fraud exception to attorney/client privilege so whatever was seized may not be privileged after all.

Finally, how do you or Dershowitz know that Trump and his team were fully cooperating? Or that Cohen wasn't about to destroy evidence?

You know what would be really dangerous? If Trump and his cohorts were above the law.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Witch hunt is all.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I still don't think Trump is guilty of a crime....he's guilty of lots of stuff but not sure he is guilty of a crime.
I think this as well. He surrounded himself with crooked and stupid people, many of whom are going to get caught. But Trump himself, he's probably not guilty of actual crimes. Sure, maybe they can prove he knew of some of this stuff going on, but I won't be surprised if they never find a "gotcha" piece of evidence, like an e-mail to or from Trump or a document he signed or any "beyond a reasonable doubt" evidence.

I'm curious to see how this might all play out for Trump if many of those around him and his inner-circle DO end up going down for this, but he remains. I wonder if he'd resign or just serve out the rest of his presidency in shame and ranting on Twitter while the democratic Congress stonewalls him on everything after November.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My recollection was that one guy's body has not turned up but two others dead bodies did
Could only find story tied to one of the supposed sources of the Steele dossier though

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-donald-trump/
Thanks. I had not read about the two turning up dead.

My hope is that the intelligence services did not turn over the real names. But then, real people ended up suffering, and apparently, dying over this.

Words fail.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Do you have a cite for that? Although, in the end, same thing. He didn't stop it and could have. Cohen was apparently being investigated for this for weeks.

Rosenstein knew and didn't stop it.
I heard it on MSNBC yesterday
I Googled for a Twitter or news story to support it and nothing came up
But think the filing is not posted online
So no--I can't post source that it is accurate

I also posited previously that if Berman did not sign off directly it might be because he is an appointee still--not confirmed in this job as head of SDNY--and he might think the investigation should go forward under someone who is likely to be around for months to come to head the investigation and because of his ties to Guilianni and Trump so he might have wanted to recuse himself from charges by Cohen that he has special interest...
Berman donated money to Trump's campaign

Maybe he did sign off--maybe he was even there yesterday--as I am hearing on "Morning Joe" this AM

Lot of details yet to be make known...

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Dershowitz has gotten all weird lately. Does he want to handle the appeal that will arise from any actions from the investigations?

In any case, I read some things he said about this Cohen search and seizure warrant, but I stopped when he talked about Mueller doing it. Because Dershowitz was WRONG. This wasn't a Mueller action. This was a New York state action against Cohen for bank and wire fraud (felonies).

Everything about this seems to have been done by the book. Lots of people signed off on it.

Dershowitz seems to have lost his magic. When you aren't careful to have the facts before you speak about them, you are no longer an ace attorney.
Dershowitz has sold his soul to Fox News, which is a Fact-Free zone. Any credibility he once had he has traded away for a payday on a fake news network.

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
If the evidence is irrefutable that Trump has done something so illegal and was proven to be guilty that he had to resign or was impeached than so be it. It has to be rock solid. No one man is bigger than the Presidency or the country.
But if YOU had that evidence, YOU still wouldn't be able to do anything with it. The only people who can take action based on the evidence are the prosecutor, grand jury, judge, and petit jury if a possible case makes it that far. You (and the rest of us) want to see the evidence because we're curious. But we're not entitled to see it--at least not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies