Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Man, what a bummer that Trump's life long attorney is so incompetent that he would be brought down by such extremely low level stuff that an ordinary DA could do. Trump should really try to hire the best people instead of surrounding himself exclusively with criminals.
That's not what happened here. Mueller is trying to tie that payment to illegal campaign contributions. Cannot be proven. This is nothing but Mueller being a bully.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:14 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I'm disgusted with the people here who actually believe the malarkey they are charging Trump with. This is a KGB style witch hunt. Those that keep defending that tyrant Mueller are either useful idiots or open enemies of liberty. SHAME on you!
What are they charging Trump with? Has he been indicted? If not, there's no believing or disbelieving anything at this point.

And the KGB would never conduct a raid on Putin's attorney. This is American democracy at its finest. Would you prefer that our president be above the law?

Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Man, what a bummer that Trump's life long attorney is so incompetent that he would be brought down by such extremely low level stuff that an ordinary DA could do. Trump should really try to hire the best people instead of surrounding himself exclusively with criminals.
Trump has tried to hire the best but no prestigious and respected lawyer or firm will work with him...

Deadbeat Trump Can’t Get A Lawyer Because He Doesn’t Pay His Bills
https://www.politicususa.com/2018/03...his-bills.html

Trump Can’t Find A Good Lawyer Because Nobody Wants To Represent Him On Russia
https://www.politicususa.com/2017/06...stigation.html

Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Great day for Leftist Stalinists. How much longer till the American Leftists establish Gulags to persecute those that have a differing opinion?
You mean the Leftist Stalinists Trump appointed to the FBI and in the Southern District of New York?

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Jonathan Turley has an fascinating piece in The Hill about Trump getting caught in a wolf pit.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...the-cohen-trap

Just as Trump was beginning to prepare for his interview with team Mueller, thinking he had it all under control, he was thrown into a rage over the raiding of his personal lawyer’s office.

"Suddenly, Trump was back on camera denouncing Mueller, Rosenstein, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, fired FBI director James Comey and others, as well as discussing the possible firing of Mueller."

"Most competent lawyers agree that firing Mueller, like the disastrous firing of Comey, would present an existential threat to Trump’s presidency."

No kidding.

But even if Trump got away with firing Mueller, he would have to move against the Southern District to shut down the Cohen investigation.

At some point, even the ethically compromised Republicans would have to do something. Surely, they wouldn't just stand by while Trump fired everyone in sight.

The point of a wolf pit is that the more the wolf thrashes around, the more he harms himself.

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's not what happened here. Mueller is trying to tie that payment to illegal campaign contributions. Cannot be proven. This is nothing but Mueller being a bully.
Aw so sad for you, that your opinion about what it is or is not is both irrelevant and inconsistent with reality. You should probably get used to that feeling, seems like you will probably be experiencing it a lot in the near future.

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Nothing in the above quoted blurb counters my statements in this thread. The political look and effect is and will be what I stated. The rampant anti-Trump bias invalidates your assertions of unbiased procedure in this matter, insofar as how it looks politically and in spite of claims. If Mueller and/or the FBI didn't want to further flirt with the look of a partisan witch hunt, they should have stayed in their lane and not instigated or otherwise enabled this wholly unusual breach of attorney-client privilege for a recently elected POTUS.
Translation: You believe that investigators should turn a blind eye to evidence of criminal wrongdoing if it doesn't fit squarely within their remit. So much for "law and order" Trump supporters, but you're wrong in any event. First, given Mueller's broad directive, it actually does fall within his remit. Second, even if it didn't, he rightly referred it to the proper authorities whose job it is to evaluate the evidence and pursue it if warranted.

Quote:
An utterly laughable point. So what? There haven't been anti-Trump Republicans? There are busloads of them. He hasn't had issues with gaining appointees that weren't politically biased against Trump? Those exist in spades as well.
Translation: You believe that recent Trump appointees were secret anti-Trump sleeper cells.

Quote:
This is conjecture which does not invalidate how this looks or will play politically.
Investigators should not care how things look or will play politically. They should care about facts and evidence. Only partisan hacks care about political fallout under these circumstances. You seem to care about optics more than the prosecution of criminal wrongdoing. Why is that?

Quote:
If the law were King here, Hillary would have been indicted for possession of SAPs and the deletion of her emails. You likely justify any excuse to flout the law when your candidate's behind is on the line, but become Joe Justice when it isn't. And it isn't me that you have to convince, necessarily. It's the half of the nation that this is playing out in front of as an utterly corrupt witch hunt, which is highlighted by Clinton's evasion of the law under the purview of the expressly anti-Trump FBI. Like I implied, the political capital denied by and ultimate fallout will determine the long term effects of what later occurs.
This is not a thread about any Clinton. Please start your own thread on that topic if you like.

Quote:
Your politics are transparent.
Hilarious unintentional irony.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I know the conclusion is Mueller and Rosenstein are doing this to push Trump to fire Mueller, especially after a year and a half of finding nothing on Trump colluding with Russia. I don't care if Trump is gone to be honest, but I know exactly what's going on here.
Why wouldn't Rosenstein just fire Mueller?

37,188 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You seem to miss the point
That this was what Rosenstein promised when he testified to Congress about how Mueller would proceed if he found evidence that a crime not related to the Russia investigation was uncovered during that same investigation
Rosenstein said that Mueller would come to him with the evidence
They would discuss how to proceed
So they did...
Mueller could have gotten another letter from Rosenstein and pursued Cohen himself. He chose not to for a number of reasons, I would imagine. He already has quite a bit on his plate, and Cohen needs immediate attention. By handing it off, it avoids any (unfounded) accusations of him overstepping his boundaries. It also frees a localized U.S. Attorney to work more closely with the New York AG on state charges.

This could get really interesting really quickly. The raid on Cohen's, home, office, and hotel room is huge.

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Wow...you don't know your history.

Watergate was investigated for a LONG TIME before indictments came down. Longer than this investigation.

I assume you are in favor of the rule of law? That is all this is. Nothing in this is outside the law. This is the normal course of events for someone being investigated for bank & wire fraud, which are felonies.

A host of people had to review this before it was executed. They either signed off on it or didn't stop it. That means there must be strong evidence there.

The Cohen matter is unrelated to the Russia investigation. Keep that in mind.

The Russia investigation didn't start by the Democrats, and didn't start out of the blue, hunting for something. It started precisely BECAUSE in the investigation into Russia hacking our democracy, evidence was run across to indicate collusion of the Trump team with Russia for htat purpos. THAT'S WHY there is an investigation. Don't expect Trump to admit that. (You don't remember the meeting of Trump Jr, Manafort, Kushner & others with Russian operatives for the purpose of getting dirt on Clinton? You don't remember all the phone conversations that Flynn was having with the Russians promising to not execute the U S sanctions against Russia? Or the other crimes by Flynn? How 'bout the crimes by Trump's campaign manager, Manafort?) Also, it expanded into obstruction of justice (which is a crime), when Trump tried to shut down the investigation by firing Comey, demanding his personal loyalty outside of the law, and other acts. Not the behavior of an innocent person.

This is the rule of law proceeding. It is possible that Mueller will conclude there's not enough evidence to prove collusion or obstruction. He'll do a report to Rosenstein laying out what he's found.

Until the conclusion of the Mueller investigation, anyone working against it is working against our laws applying to everyone. No one is above the law.

Many people who had voted for Clinton, incl myself, did not blame the investigators for pursuing impeachment against Clinton. We knew the motives behind it, and knew that Republicans would not pursue that, if it were a Republican President. But motives notwithstanding, Clinton himself was responsible for the mess and the investigation. And so it is with Trump and his team. THEY are responsible. But Trump will go to his grave with the words "witch hunt" on his lips, knowing that his blind, ignorant supporters will believe him. As he has said, "They believe you when you say it" even if it's not true. And "My supporters would continue to support me, even if I shot someone in the street." I would not be proud to have that said of me. It's baffling that Trumpers are proud of having that said of them.
Excellent post.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies