Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

lots and lots of silly talk here and not much at all about POLICY.

yea we know Minn. has a high tax burden. Yea we know its really white.

but what policies have led Minn to be such a great place to live? anyone care to address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
For those mentioning the republican majority in the Minnesota legislature, that is actually a recent phenomenon. For most of the past 25+ years, the Minnesota legislature has been democrat-majority:

Minnesota State Legislature
Here's an even better chart - this goes all the way back to 1901.

https://www.leg.state.mn.us/lrl/history/caucus_table

It was actually starting around 1973 that the legislature in MN started to become liberal. The senate, in particular, has been dominated by democrats (and related parties).

Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I remember reading a story, I think it was written by Rick Reilly of Sports Illustrated, about athletes and other native Minnesotans who travel the country with professional teams, and other less famous and wealthy athletes who do the same, and how most of them move back to Minnesota, because they miss it and love living there. Having visited there I can understand that. It does seem like a great place to live, with a competent government as well.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
... It does seem like a great place to live, with a competent government as well.
Guess what the #1 most well-run state is according to this?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ted/926586001/

Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
But its Minnesota...............
Minnesota is better than any state in the South, New England, West Coast, etc.

Minnesota #1

********* CA, KS, GA, TX, and all you other LOSERS!

Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Guess what the #1 most well-run state is according to this?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ted/926586001/
"In Minnesota higher revenue means the government can save more."

Except the government isn't saving more since they are in huge debt and the people have less. Why it all makes sense.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Minnesota is better than any state in the South, New England, West Coast, etc.

Minnesota #1

********* CA, KS, GA, TX, and all you other LOSERS!
Don't be bitter. If the Cubs and Cleveland can win a championship....I'm sure the Vikings will too someday possibly before the next ice-age covers up the state in an act of mercy.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
but what policies have led Minn to be such a great place to live? anyone care to address?
A citizenry that has consistently supported higher taxes in order to get great services.

A good example are the legacy funds:

Environmental and Natural Resources Trust Fund, which voters approved in 1988. "The purpose of the Trust Fund is to provide a long-term, consistent, and stable source of funding for activities that protect and enhance Minnesota's environment and natural resources for the benefit of current citizens and future generations.The money in the Trust Fund originates from a combination of contributions and investment income. Forty percent of the net proceeds from the Minnesota State Lottery are deposited to the Trust Fund each year; this contribution is guaranteed by the Minnesota Constitution until December 31, 2024."

Clean Water, Land And Legacy Amendment, which voters approved in 2008. "The Legacy Amendment increases the state sales tax by three-eighths of one percent beginning on July 1, 2009 and continuing until 2034. The additional sales tax revenue is distributed into four funds as follows: 33 percent to the clean water fund; 33 percent to the outdoor heritage fund; 19.75 percent to the arts and cultural heritage fund; and 14.25 percent to the parks and trails fund."

The source I'm quoting is: http://www.legacy.leg.mn/about-funds (a state gov't website.)

We know that we benefit from tourism dollars coming into the state because of our clean and beautiful environment.

We know that we benefit from our children being well educated.

We know that we benefit when our well educated children stay in the state because of our clean and beautiful environment and excellent schools, libraries and other cultural institutions.

The historical reasons WHY Minnesotans have always been willing to support government services with taxes are varied. It probably does have much to do with Scandinavian traditions. I think it also has to do with the values of Lutheranism, which emphasizes service to one another, and which is the dominant religion in Minnesota. It is also is the "state" religion in many Scandinavian countries.

I really believe that Minnesota is an interesting contrast to states dominated by Southern Baptists. The Baptist religion is a de-centralized denomination which emphasizes the individual's relationship with God, while the Lutheran denomination is very centralized and hierarchical and though the individual's relationship with God is of the highest importance, the individual's place in supporting a group of fellow believers is also very important. It is my personal opinion, having lived in Baptist dominated states where the individual reigns supreme, and in Minnesota, where the good of the many receives higher importance, that this makes a real difference in the policies of state government. In my personal opinion, Baptist dominated states are in very poor condition, while Minnesota, Washington, Wisconsin and other Lutheran dominated states are in very good condition. I really think we have to bear this religious difference in mind when discussing politics.

As an import (I'm originally from Indiana, and have lived in 14 other states), I can say without question that Minnesota is the very best place I've ever lived.

And just want to note - property taxes in MOST of Minnesota are quite low. When I lived in Northern MN, my property taxes and homeowners insurance combined were less than $1000 total for a whole year! It is only in the Twin Cities area that property taxes are high.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 04-11-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM

One other thing I found interesting was how visible 3rd parties are there.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Also, we don't actually have the Democrat party in our state.

We have the Democrat Farm Labor party, known as DFL. So, the governor is DFL, not Democrat, to be accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies