Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Not outrageous at all....most states also have this same exact law. CA, the most populous and progressive state in the nation, has this law.

It isn't a symptom of any racism; the law is agnostic of the race of the offender.
Almost every single word of the original post’s subject title is a bald faced lie, so the post is full of lies as well.

The OP is simply trying to stir the pot ( and it has worked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Wow. I knew you could be convicted of murder as an accomplice if you contributed to that murder in some way - like helping subdue someone, driving a get-away car, etc. Never would have thought that applied in a case like this. Moderator cut: profanity
Well there were probably circumstances that justified putting this in that same category. He should have taken the deal and just served his sentence and applied for parole, and he'd probably be out in ten years. Now he's going to be in for a lot longer.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
This is not guilt by association, this is guilt by participation. He actively participated in the crime.
It is guilt by association he did not shoot anybody but was party to a group that made that attempt and a resulting death
But that is not what got him the huge sentence
The courts always look for remorse in a crime in the sentence process
He had none

Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Goodness gracious! A miscarriage of justice in the case of a black teenager in the Deep South? I'm shocked, shocked to hear such an unusual situation!

Old 04-11-2018, 03:46 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Goodness gracious! A miscarriage of justice in the case of a black teenager in the Deep South? I'm shocked, shocked to hear such an unusual situation!
Come on Clarallel, if you think we are all racists down here just say it. Stereotyping someone based entirely on location is just as bad as stereotyping them on race, sex or whatever. Or is it OK to stereotype the people who don't think like you?

Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Apparently many of the posters here have not heard of disparate racial differences in the criminal justice system--from arrests to indictments and on to sentencing. I assure you that it exists. Google it and you will find reams of studies about how black and white are treated way differently for the same offenses.

The prosecutor CHOSE to indict this 15-year-old as an adult. He did not have to. He CHOSE to indict him for murder. He did not have to do that either. And the judge CHOSE to sentence him for 65 years --effectively life in prison for a botched burglary. He did not have to do that as well. None of those choices had to be made the way they were, and I submit that this would never have happened to a 15-year-old white kid in Alabama. There were many steps along the way where discretion could have been exercised , especially in light of the fact that he did NOT kill anyone. And as I said, he should be held accountable for actions. But not like this. It's totally outrageous and yes, very much an example of disparate racial treatment in the criminal justice system.
The thug CHOSE to commit a burglary with an armed accomplice. Had that choice not been made, none of the rest would have happened.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
My only issue with this is he was a minor.

Honestly I'm not up in arms about it because of the kids **** poor attitude to the judge. **** him.
Yeah, at 15 he gets in that grey area about being tried as an adult or not.

For something like this the typical cut points are 14 and under is still juvenile but 15+ can still get you tried as an adult.

Varies by state and by type of offense but when someone gets a murder level charge (not robbery or manslaughter) it tends to be much less lenient.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Come on Clarallel, if you think we are all racists down here just say it. Stereotyping someone based entirely on location is just as bad as stereotyping them on race, sex or whatever. Or is it OK to stereotype the people who don't think like you?
That's just how they post. Put them on ignore and save yourself the time of reading broad-brush stereotyping.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
I'm posting after having read only the OP.

This is not a "miscarriage of justice". This is standard justice.

The boys being charged took part in a crime that led to the death of an individual. Thus, they are being charged. It happens every day and it is standard. When deaths occur as a result of crimes, teens are often tried as adults.

What is your specific interest in a case from Alabama, OP, you being from NYC? Why does it matter that the boy is Black?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve...b_4034052.html

One black, one Hispanic and two white teenagers, and none of them had a gun.

The conviction was overturned a few years later by the state supreme court, but they all spent a few years in jail.
Thanks for posting that, and including the part about it being overturned a couple years later. It seems like part of the reason for overturning it was that they found the original charges excessive, and that adolescent development research shows that minors are less capable of thinking of potential consequences so far outside the original scope of their plan.

The other stories posted here do not match the OP's at all.

1. Holle was 21, knew they were going to steal and get violent with the girl when he lent his car for that purpose. Their intended victim died, not one of the thieves. His sentence was commuted.

2. Hein - By my math, was not a minor. A cops son died, the cop's son was not one of the thieves. Sentence was commuted.

3. In this case, the kid was well under 18, and the lead thief is the one who died, not an innocent victim. It'll also be a miracle if his sentence gets commuted (I hope it gets overturned on appeal, as it should).

To the OP;The fact that black people are treated unfairly in the criminal injustice system is not a well received discussion here, I feel like most people elsewhere would agree with you though. I think if you point out the fact that this was a kid, rather than his race, you might receive a better reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies