Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Every woman I know who has had an abortion is glad that they had an abortion....
That's been my experience as well. Note, I didn't say they were happy to have an abortion, but they were relieved that the option was there for them when they needed it.

Quote:
Are you a woman?

I agree with other posters in that pregnancy is a life threatening situation at all times to the mother herself. I have 2 children and have had very difficult pregnancies with both, the last one was potentially life threatening. When my 2nd child was almost a year old, I knew i was pregnant again, even though I had had an IUD inserted after her birth when I started getting what I call "pregnancy deathly ill."

I consider myself "lucky" that I miscarried that pregnancy. I was relieved, which is contrary to what many women experience when they have a miscarriage but many also feel the same as I felt, especially if it is unplanned and they have experienced difficult, life threatening pregnancies.

IMO people should not be in the medical decisions of other people. You seem to be looking at this from a specific, selfish sort of POV. Pregnancy is very difficult for many women and IMO they/we should not be forced to endure it just so you and others can feel good about "saving lives." Families should make their own decisions because it is a personal matter. Ironically as I've gotten older and ESPECIALLY after I got pregnant and delivered my first child, I became VERY pro-choice. I honestly wouldn't want any woman to endure what I did in regards to living through the struggles of being pregnant if they don't want to. It is a nearly year long tortuous situation and imprisonment in your own body. I actually had to stop working for both of my pregnancies and the 2nd I had to stop attending college because I literally could not walk or sit in class due to being so sick. This lasted for me the entire pregnancy. My 2nd child was planned and very much wanted and so I endured for her. I'm glad I did but I would never want to force another woman to go through what I did just because.
What a great post. I hope newtovenice reads it and truly comprehends how simplistic her views are. Everything in her world is black or white, while in reality, nothing in life is black or white. She and other forced-birthers are not physicians and have zero qualifications for making such a life-altering decision for other people.

Thanks for relating your experience, residinghere. I hope it helps to open some very closed minds, but I won't be holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Where did you ever get that idea?

No, having sex is not giving consent to pregnancy.

Using your car analogy, every time you get into a car you are consenting to the broken leg you could get in an accident.

And since you know you could get a broken leg you are not allowed to mitigate the damage by putting your leg in a cast.
"consent" may have been a poor term, but becoming pregnant is a consequence of having sex. Don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex. If you have sex and become pregnant, nobody should feel sorry for you; you have experienced a foreseeable consequence of your action. You may or may not have wanted to become pregnant, but you are certainly responsible for that result.

And killing a baby is quite a different thing from a moral point of view than putting your leg into a cast, isn't it?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Every woman I know who has had an abortion is glad that they had an abortion....

Are you a woman?

I agree with other posters in that pregnancy is a life threatening situation at all times to the mother herself. I have 2 children and have had very difficult pregnancies with both, the last one was potentially life threatening. When my 2nd child was almost a year old, I knew i was pregnant again, even though I had had an IUD inserted after her birth when I started getting what I call "pregnancy deathly ill."

I consider myself "lucky" that I miscarried that pregnancy. I was relieved, which is contrary to what many women experience when they have a miscarriage but many also feel the same as I felt, especially if it is unplanned and they have experienced difficult, life threatening pregnancies.

IMO people should not be in the medical decisions of other people. You seem to be looking at this from a specific, selfish sort of POV. Pregnancy is very difficult for many women and IMO they/we should not be forced to endure it just so you and others can feel good about "saving lives." Families should make their own decisions because it is a personal matter. Ironically as I've gotten older and ESPECIALLY after I got pregnant and delivered my first child, I became VERY pro-choice. I honestly wouldn't want any woman to endure what I did in regards to living through the struggles of being pregnant if they don't want to. It is a nearly year long tortuous situation and imprisonment in your own body. I actually had to stop working for both of my pregnancies and the 2nd I had to stop attending college because I literally could not walk or sit in class due to being so sick. This lasted for me the entire pregnancy. My 2nd child was planned and very much wanted and so I endured for her. I'm glad I did but I would never want to force another woman to go through what I did just because.

You're probably both correct. Individuals differ in their responses to things like having an abortion. I am sure that there are many women who regret doing so. I am sure also that many are glad or relieved to have done so. Typically such generalizations are never the whole story.

And who is forcing women to get pregnant in the first place? That's a decision that a woman makes, unless she was raped (in which case, I could favor an exception to a pure pro-life stance). Also, as I've posted, I would go along with an exception for cases where a mother's life in endangered by pregnancy. Abortion should NOT be a form of birth control, however. Cheap and easily accessible birth control is out there. Use it and most likely you'd never encounter a need for an abortion in the first place. Using barrier contraceptives is also a good idea since that practice can help stop the spread of STD's as well. If you do get pregnant, though, the decision was yours ultimately. You decided to have sex; you got pregnant. That's a foreseeable consequence of the decision to have sex.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
"consent" may have been a poor term, but becoming pregnant is a consequence of having sex. Don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex. If you have sex and become pregnant, nobody should feel sorry for you; you have experienced a foreseeable consequence of your action. You may or may not have wanted to become pregnant, but you are certainly responsible for that result.
Humans are sexual beings. We're going to have sex. Get over it.

And we don't want your pity. In fact, we want nothing whatsoever from you, most especially you sticking your nose into our personal medical business.

You have absolutely zero say in what kind of responsible action we take when/if we do become pregnant. And yes, terminating a pregnancy that we cannot or do not wish to carry to term is absolutely a responsible decision. Witness the many, many children languishing in foster care, physically and/or emotionally abused or dead because they were victims of their parents' abuse or neglect or damaging lifestyles and know the truth of what happens to many unwanted children.

Not bringing a child into the world that you do not want or cannot care for is the most responsible thing any woman can do.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:

And killing a baby is quite a different thing from a moral point of view than putting your leg into a cast, isn't it?
It's all a matter of degree...if you don't want to drown, don't ever take a bath (you can down in an inch of water, you know). If you don't want to get a cold, never go out in public. If you don't want to fall, never use stairs or climb a ladder.

Get real! If you take reasonable precautions and something happens then you deal with it. We don't say, you took the stairs and fell, now that you've broken your leg we're just going to let you lie there and not set it - it can heal on its own.

In our society we have decide that abortion, with some limitations is legal - the majority of people believe this. It is an alternative that can be chosen or not. There are many things in society that others do that I don't agree with - so I don't do those things.

Last edited by reneeh63; 04-12-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:

And having an abortion can also be a "consequence" of an unwanted pregnancy. Whether or not you, personally, approve of their abortion. Women aren't forced to be incubators against their will because they made a mistake and had sex without using birth control, or they used it incorrectly, or it failed.

No one is going to abstain from sex because some random internet poster doesn't approve of abortion, just so you know. Anyone who claims otherwise probably doesn't have much sex, imo.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Let's see, what will students protest next so they can walk out of school?

Let's see, how about:

Chemical weapons.
Sex slavery.
Child abuse.
Texting and driving.
Hazing.
Drug abuse.
Alcohol abuse.
Smoking.
Pedophilia.

......and on and on and on.

This needs to STOP!

Unlike gun violence, abortions are not being done IN SCHOOL.....SO.....the gun violence walkout did not set a precedent.

Apples/oranges.

As a taxpayer, I am not paying for high school student to do protests on MY DIME.

They can protest on the weekends on their own time......if they can get anyone to show up.
Sexual slavery, kiddy abuse, and pedophilia are valid things to campaign against and changes the laws regarding them here.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
That's been my experience as well. Note, I didn't say they were happy to have an abortion, but they were relieved that the option was there for them when they needed it.

What a great post. I hope newtovenice reads it and truly comprehends how simplistic her views are. Everything in her world is black or white, while in reality, nothing in life is black or white. She and other forced-birthers are not physicians and have zero qualifications for making such a life-altering decision for other people.

Thanks for relating your experience, residinghere. I hope it helps to open some very closed minds, but I won't be holding my breath.
"
"Originally Posted by residinghere2007
Every woman I know who has had an abortion is glad that they had an abortion...."

"That's been my experience as well."

Even the original plaintiff in Row vs. Wade has said she is SORRY she had one and would NOT have been a part of the a law suit if had it to do over.

A LOT of women have said the same thing.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"
"Originally Posted by residinghere2007
Every woman I know who has had an abortion is glad that they had an abortion...."

"That's been my experience as well."

Even the original plaintiff in Row vs. Wade has said she is SORRY she had one and would NOT have been a part of the a law suit if had it to do over.

A LOT of women have said the same thing.
Well, goody for them. Many more have said the opposite.

Which is actually neither here nor there when it comes to totally uninvolved third parties attempting to force women to give birth against their will. This isn't the Confederacy in 1850, where female chattel slaves could be controlled and forced to do so, much as that probably breaks your heart to admit.

Last edited by JAMS14; 04-12-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I am stating that abortion determines WHEN it is appropriate to kill and has decided that an arbitrary peg on the timeline of growth and development of a human. Life is life, no matter whether you pick a date on the calendar to dispose of it or not. For instance one day, abortion is legal, the next day it is not. Because you have crossed the timeline. Has the growth of the baby changed? Has the human biological process changed?

No. So why do you believe it is OK to kill on Tuesday but not OK on Wednesday? What changed in that 24 hours? What change in that minute before the mark was hit?

We are human and have continuous growth and development from conception until death.
Simply put, the date at which they become illegal is when doctors and scientists have determined that the fetus would be viable outside the mother's body.

Before that, it cannot survive without a host.

If they ever figure out a way to easily transplant embryos from a pregnant woman to another woman who wants to be pregnant and do it in a safe manner (as in, safe as or safer than abortions) I suspect abortion will no longer be a thing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies