Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 12:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times

Advertisements

If you don't want your content deleted, follow the terms of service.

Minus a few posts on CD, I've never had anything deleted on any platform.

Use common sense...and quit acting like group x, y, z, etc are oppressed by companies, governments, etc because YOU FAILED to followed the terms of service. It's YOUR fault, not the fault of FB, Trump, Obama, CNN, Fox News, etc.

So many you are pushing the "woe is me, I'm so persecuted narrative"...it's tiresome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:13 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
the cell phone services provide communication services and I would think we all agree that Verizon, sprint, at&t have no right to regulate users' speech on a phone between two people or three or a whole group teleconferencing on their phone service. the phone services provide the means to communicate only. Verizon, for example, doesn't monitor speech by subscribers.

if facebook is providing a similar service as a phone service company, zuckerberg claims facebook provides a platform for communication between users, how can people support facebook censoring users' speech?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-11-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
The Ministry of Truth and Proper Propaganda
(MiniTruProPro aka M.T.P.P.)
and its allies, accomplices, collaborators, co-conspirators, minions, parasites, and other useful idiots do not approve of Ted Cruz !

Trust the Thought Police.
If we wanted your opinion, we would have given it to you.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

Use common sense...and quit acting like group x, y, z, etc are oppressed by companies, governments, etc because YOU FAILED to followed the terms of service. It's YOUR fault, not the fault of FB, Trump, Obama, CNN, Fox News, etc.

So many you are pushing the "woe is me, I'm so persecuted narrative"...it's tiresome

Tony, again - the issue isn't that they're deleting content and banning people. It's that they're justifying doing this under the guise that people and groups are dangerous to the community - and saying they're a neutral place for people of all opinions.

If they would come out and state that they support a liberal ideology, find politics on the right to be dangerous and destructive and will not tolerate anyone pushing that agenda - I (and others here) would have no complaint with it because it's their company and they have the right to do that.

I doubt their TOS states anything that would help people better understand what's going on. If they lie, they're certainly not going to include the truth in their terms.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:18 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:

sorry. TOS does explain why two black women who like Donald Trump got basically wiped out on facebook and demonetized on YouTube.. and were deemed "A threat to society". ive seen their videos. There is nothing dangerous about it.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

The geniuses don't read the terms of service presented to them, but they expect lay people to read through their massive terms.
The same has been true of most every app and software license (apple, MS, etc.) that we have all ever OKed...

Let me try to answer your question realistically and accurately.

First, this stuff IS complicated. As you know, it is ALL written by lawyers....teams of them. There is no other option to that.

However, some companies are more clear than others about what they do or can do with the data. I don't remember my supermarket, tho, telling me the implications of their tracking my every purchase and using the data (they do)....in general, I refuse to sign up for most such affiliate cards (CVS, etc.).

An important question is "Even if they simplified it, could most people understand it?".

I say no. For this reason. My wife is a smart "regular" person (I'm a tech nut and worker). She has an IQ of about 125-130, which puts her head and shoulders above most of the population. She can work out complicated family trees and recognize someone she met 30 years ago.

But she has NO IDEA of the implications of the depth of Facebook and other data.

Now- let's get to Facebook for a moment. Facebook was NEVER intended to become what it became. It grew so fast and so large because people used it for a different purpose than it was designed for. Most of this was luck - being in the right place at the right time. People moved from virtually every other online platform (friendster, AOL, etc. etc.) to Facebook. It was laughable at first that "your mom and grandmom" would be on FB. But it happened.

This is not me making an excuse for their openness. Rather, it is a way to see what happens to any company when it gets too far ahead of the curve too quickly. Who would have ever thought FB would ferment revolutions?

And so, like many companies, they grew too quickly and made the mistake of trusting developers and researchers and others with your data.

Now - that particular mistake ended up benefiting the Right Wing MUCH more than it did the left....again, just stating a fact, not using it as an excuse. I know people who worked with FB data in Obamas campaign and they readily admitted to me (2013) that FB was giving "too much" to developers.

But now we are past all of that....and down to just a couple small items...

1. Facebook is locking down data better and giving you more choices...and setting some defaults as "more secure" instead of less secure. This is a good thing.

2. Users cannot now claim "I didn't know". Now you know. Make a decision to stay or leave the platform.

As a long time tech user I never debated politics or religion or the like on FB...and this has nothing to do with my employer, reputation, etc. (I am self employed and no one has any power over what I say)....

This was because I understood what Facebook was for. It is not a forum. It is not a discussion board. It is not a news site.

It is a good way to stay in touch and get in touch with old friends, family and - if you want to expand a little on that - some like minded people.

But, after that, you should take it to Stormfront, Breitbart or one of thousands of other forums, sites or comment sections.

I sincerely hope that helps some understand the current situation.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am not even sure I understand what it is you are trying to say. What I do know is that the left thought it was super cool when Obama had exclusive access to Facebook (and googles) data. but when republicans got access to that data, we have reached the end of the world.

it kind of makes my point.
No - Republicans in 2012 had the exact same access to FB data. Remember Mitt Romney and crew crowing about the "Whale" (code name for their data operation)...the problem was, they screwed it up.

Let me repeat what an above post says. I mentored someone in 2013 who had worked in the Obama campaign (2012) in the data end of things. He was finished with that (Obama elected) and decided to start his own "data analysis group". One of his questions to me was whether he should base his operation mostly on what FB allows him or ANY developer to access.

I told him NO...that they were likely to close those loopholes one day.

At the same time, he informed me (and others) that that amount of data FB allowed him to access seemed "criminal". He said this with raw emotion....a data scientist knowing that FB was too open and therefore could be easily abused.

Of course, there is nothing he could have done about it - except take my advice and not base his business on their mistakes.

What you seem to see as a "plot" is common in most every business. Even my first Mom and Pop operation had large holes in it where employees and customers could possibly (and did) steal from me. What did I do? Just like FB, I discovered these holes by experience and closed as many as I could without hurting our operation.

It always amazes me when I see the public real estate taxes online...for my properties. Heck, I think, what business is it of the public exactly what size, type of construction and value of my properties are?

But yet they are there. Computers allow us to scrape data and then pull it all together (RDBS)....and we then have an almost perfect profile of each person. Heck, even my CC company knowns I don't each chicken.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Quote:
You mean Facebook's Algorithms are biased.

Seriously, I spend my days building algorithms pertaining to flagging airplanes that aren't likely to fly in a "normal pattern". So if build models that have a propensity to flag planes being piloted by a white guy, am I being biased against white pilot.

Seriously people...get a clue
Aren’t you special. We’re not talking about you and airplanes or white guys. Clue. I hardly used my account other than commenting on news articles from msm. Deleted. How’s that fit in your airplane model? Probably got whiney lefties undies in a bunch and they complained like little girl babies

Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What an ignorant question, and the whole session did nothing but prove the panel had no idea what Facebook is and what they do. Its a platform for anyone to push any bias they want (like CD). Personally, I see more conservative propaganda, than liberal, and it is only because most of the people I have on my friend list are conservative. They post, and the posts are visible to me.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the cell phone services provide communication services and I would think we all agree that Verizon, sprint, at&t have no right to regulate users' speech on a phone between two people or three or a whole group teleconferencing on their phone service. the phone services provide the means to communicate only. Verizon, for example, doesn't monitor speech by subscribers.

if facebook is providing a similar service as a phone service company, zuckerberg claims facebook provides a platform for communication between users, how can people support facebook censoring users' speech?
Your analogy would be more akin to the internet service provider not a social media service. A more accurate analogy would be a social meeting of people at a private residence. The owners of the private residence have the right to ask you to leave if they don't like what you are saying. The same can be said if you substitute residence with business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies