Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
evidently two black women refusing to be liberals.

Diamond and Silk? How could they NOT ban them? They're dangerous to the community!!!!

They could have backed him into a corner on this but didn't. They played softball with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM

10,754 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Isn't Cruz the same guy who Trump called the "single, biggest liar" and even went so far as to nickname him "Lyin' Ted?"

Also, Cruz has quite the history with Cambridge Analytica and had no problem using it to his own benefit.

Cruz campaign credits psychological data and analytics for its rising success
I'm not a fan of Cruz, I'm just saying he's really good at putting people on the spot (even though he's not good enough to grill Trump, because nobody is good enough), perhaps the best in the business when it comes to this kind of thing.
Trump is the only guy that Cruz can't impact.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Pew:
"Most scientists identify as Democrats (55%), while 32% identify as independents and just 6% say they are Republicans. When the leanings of independents are considered, fully 81% identify as Democrats or lean to the Democratic Party, compared with 12% who either identify as Republicans or lean toward the GOP"

Other data shows Scientists rate themselves and their peers as "2% conservative"...

In other words, the more you know...the more moderate and left you go.
Or the more you know, the easier it is to pick issues that makes one appear to be more "liberal". Quoted as it doesn't mean democrat. Ask me about social issues like drugs and abortion I'll come across as a straight (D) liberal, ask me about economics I'm straight (R) conservative, I'm probably what would be considered a "scientist" given my academics and I work in Data Engineering/Predictive algorithms. That said I'm not unusual and even economically I'm not outside the range of a (D) liberal. Thus by Pew (and most other polls) I'd be a D. That however is just because D is so broad. To be classed as conservative you have to be hard on drugs, hard on crime, against teaching evolution which is a C would be very narrow.

Anecdotally I don't know anyone with an IQ over 140 that's a D or an R, it's all down to issues, however I do know quite a few an-caps in the 140+ range (since we seem to grok simple processes creating complex structures). YMMV.

Last edited by Gungnir; 04-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: s/d and autocorrect. Need a better touch keyboard layout.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
It would have been fun to see what Trey Gowdy would have done with him.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
From transcript:

I'm surprised that no one challenged this statement. I believe Cruz misinterpreted section 230.

My understanding is that in order to qualify for Section 230 immunities, the service only has to avoid being a "co-contributor" to user content. Meaning that if they remain neutral by not modifying user content, interjecting their own content, using user content out of context, and/or encourage the user content.

They are still free to moderate and filter user content in its entirety according to their own views and perspective.

Plenty of public forums and news media are politically biased... we don't see lawsuits against them left and right.

Did you catch the part where Zuck said, he didn't want immunity? LOL!
Door opened wide open for lawsuits now.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Any way you look at it, the Right are being their typical hypocrites. I remember Rushbo not allowing ANYONE on the phone the second they would state an accurate fact.

The Right has been preaching against ANY and ALL ideas like the old FAIR system, where reporting had to be in the public good, etc.

It's obvious why they have been doing this for 2 decades or more....because THEY invented Hate Radio and Hate TV.

But now...the instant they get the feeling the tide may be turning against them, they yell and scream for "Big Gubment" to regulate a corporation.

As I have to repeat quite often, my head spins for how quickly the Right turns to authoritarianism. You WILL do what Lying Ted says!

Even the slightest idea of fairness has left the room. They want to use force of that thing they hate - big government - to spread Right Wing Hate.
Any way you look at it?

Because a guy that created a radio show that states UP FRONT that it is a conservative talk show that it isn't "news" and that it simply will talk about the news of the day from a political point of view is the same thing as a database that contains information on virtually every American and that data can be used to manipulate the public to perceive the world as the users of the data desire are the same things?

that's a pretty interesting concept.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Enjoy your party.

But I feel that I should inform you that 400 Billion dollar corporations are usually in the midst of 100's of lawsuits at ALL times. They are not even gnats on the ankles of such companies.

My FB stock is up much higher than the general market...for the last year.

I think what needs to happen is for smart people like you to get their CS/EE degrees and go get jobs there - and eventually rise up to board level. Then you have earned your right to moderate.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Please quote the transcript (I couldn't find the reference you refer to)

My point being is that the whole premise of Cruz's questioning was contingent on Section 230 not applying because of perceived political bias. If incorrect, the entire foundation of his questioning is unfounded.... and while he came off as a strong debater, I think he was actually making a fool of himself by building on shaky grounds to begin with.

Gotta look below the drama and dig into the content.

Last edited by usayit; 04-11-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you that a vast percentage of the top people at FB have computer and electrical SCIENCE degrees.

What is this talk about economics? I thought we were discussing the right wanting a private corporation to spread their hate as evenly as they spread actual truth??? Am I wrong??

wrong? im not sure.

where you are concerned Conservative = hate
liberal = truth....

not sure we are capable of finding some bases for communication.

maybe we just need to stick with "clarity is better than agreement."

Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Any way you look at it?

Because a guy that created a radio show that states UP FRONT that it is a conservative talk show that it isn't "news" and that it simply will talk about the news of the day from a political point of view is the same thing as a database that contains information on virtually every American and that data can be used to manipulate the public to perceive the world as the users of the data desire are the same things?

that's a pretty interesting concept.
So conservative = entertainment (not news?). Interesting.

Just FYI, Zuck started FB so college guys could keep track of their women friends. Up Front.

Does that matter?

I have to chuckle about these "databases". Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that Google and even Yahoo know as much...if not more. Heck, Target sends you the diaper ads when you are 5 months preggie.

I used to buy lists for my business - pre-internet. Anything you wanted was available. Anything.

No doubt FB made an error allowing ANYONE to access that data (although some was done with scrapers and other unauthorized tools)....

Let me quote The Right RE: The Patriot Act and other loss of Civil Liberties "Hey, if you haven't done anything wrong then who cares that the gubment listens in to everything?".....

FB knows nothing about me that is/was not publically (or for a very small fee) available. It doesn't know, as other online DBs do, about all my former addresses and phone numbers. It doesn't know my net worth. It doesn't even know my political affiliation. Now - because I spend very little time discussing guns, it probably knows I am a reasonable and moderate person, but anyone would know that...in person or otherwise.

Facebooks big crime has to do with helping the GOP (at this point)....so make certain thou does not protest too much. At the same time, I always look for agreement and there is no doubt FB was too "open" to allowing others to access their data.

Then again, Target and many other companies have let your data out also. You better believe that the Dark Web has vast amounts of info on you which they will sell by the millions (of cc numbers, addresses, mothers maiden names, ss #, etc.)...

FB made a mistake - a typical one in human nature. They assumed CA would be honest and hold up to their agreement and contract. They failed to realize that the Right fights dirty.

Now they will fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies