Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

If we had to have a war why did we go all the way to the Middle East? We could have had a real knock down drag out with Mexico but I fear that this administration would have lost and the Mexicans are too close to risk it. Besides they are already sending their army into the US but we refuse to notice.

Since we did go the Middle East, why Iraq? Why not invade Saudi Arabia, kill the royals, institute a Republic and control the world price of oil in our favor? Oh, the royals are personal friends of this bunch. I guess they are not tough enough to actually be Caesar but only want to act like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
The biggest problem with our political system is the parties themselves. If one party comes up with a brilliant idea you can guarantee the opposing party will do whatever it can to minimize the positive effect of the decision. The biggest motivation is the parties power. This is the main reason why most politicians are the same.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""""Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar." """

THANK YOU for this great quote ....it sums up EXACTLY what the bushMachine did to get their war in Iraq.
THAT really rings home..........

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Since we did go the Middle East, why Iraq? Why not invade Saudi Arabia, kill the royals, institute a Republic and control the world price of oil in our favor?
We're in Afghanistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and now Iraq. We're also allied with Pakistan (until Musharraf gets overthrown, anyway). Now look at a map. Do you understand how we're positioning ourselves, and for what?

People need to see the bigger picture. Global politics play out at a level that most people don't even know exists, and on timelines that are vastly different than what the average person's attention span allows for.

We didn't invade Saudi Arabia - not because the Bush family are "buddies" with them (as every administration has been since the industrial revolution), but because we didn't need to. We already have military bases there.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
In hindsight, I have no doubts that many in our government regret their decisions to enter into war with Iraq, however when the critical time for them to make the most grave decision of their careers, nearly everyone of them folded and or acquiesced. I have no more faith in the ability of Congress than I do of this current administration.

It depresses me but I completely agree. I just wonder if it's a reversible trend?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
We didn't invade Saudi Arabia - not because the Bush family are "buddies" with them (as every administration has been since the industrial revolution), but because we didn't need to. We already have military bases there.
I believe we have have dismantled those bases and withdrawn all forces from Saudi Arabia.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I believe we have have dismantled those bases and withdrawn all forces from Saudi Arabia.
I'd forgotten about that - I stand corrected.

The Saudis would only allow certain types of missions to originate from that base, so it makes sense that we pulled out of there, especially since we no longer need to patrol the "no fly" zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies