Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

First off, I'd prefer people not be made a felon or be incarcerated for a victimless crime. If one wants a college education, a bmw, a fancy home, or a vacation in the tropics,etc. they can pay for it on their own or secure financing like everyone else. One shouldnt recieve special privileges for beating up their wife or stealing anothers property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You're opposed to an idea designed to reduce recidivism. You must enjoy paying the cost for people who cycle in and out of jail.
Your war on drugs and the other victimless crimes you support have been doing a slam bang job of keeping the cycle going.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Whoever thinks up these things is beyond crazy

Now NJ want's to pass a bill, so that prison inmates will be able to apply for and receive a college education while in Prison, all on taxpayer's money.

Who is going to hire a felon?
Without having read the proposal, I nevertheless will support it.

I have a friend that has been in prison for some 10 years, for crimes committed while he was in the throes of alcohol and drug addiction.

He has been taking courses, via the internet (they hardly allow felons to go out to a brick-and-mortar college), and has obtained a bachelors degree in addiction counseling. Of course, when he is eventually released, he will have the burden of being a felon and sexual offender to boot, as well as being well into his 60s (he is 63 now).

How much the State of Texas (or, taxpayers) contribute to this I do not know. He is seeking a Master's Degree in his field, and I recently sent him $1,000 to cover the costs.

In my work (Federal disability claims), I see a lot of felons that file for disability upon release (usually citing depression or such). Very often (probably 80 percent of the time) they will testify that they had a limited education, but obtained a G.E.D. while in prison. Of course, a G.E.D. is not worth much.

If obtaining a college education will reduce the recidivism rate, I am all for it. I suspect that only those, like my friend, that wish to change the course of their life will seek this education (I doubt M-13 gang members will do so).

It costs a lot of money to house inmates. If some of them get an education and get a job, upon release, I am all for it.

Obviously, whether they will actually get a job involves a lot of factors. My friend is pursuing a blossoming career path (addiction counseling). I have no doubt he will remain sober and focused (he had actually been an executive for IBM way back when, married, had a wonderful house and life, only to lose it all when he became addicted to drugs and alcohol). His story is just one of many, sadly.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Your war on drugs and the other victimless crimes you support have been doing a slam bang job of keeping the cycle going.
Lol... A conservative is telling a liberal that the war on drugs is his fault...

Old 04-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... A conservative is telling a liberal that the war on drugs is his fault...
lol @thinking I'm a conservative and yes you support it no matter what you call yourself.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It will be a leadership requirement to be a felon in the Dem. party soon. Right now they just represent non citizens but they are progressive.
It's coming "believe me".
it's always about quick fixes....they can't reason or even begin to problem solve, the root of this problem is, the fact that most of these people in prison came from bad homes...teach kids how to be good parents....but that takes too long, and no one has thought of it, so hey, give our money away to felons.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Without having read the proposal, I nevertheless will support it.

I have a friend that has been in prison for some 10 years, for crimes committed while he was in the throes of alcohol and drug addiction.

He has been taking courses, via the internet (they hardly allow felons to go out to a brick-and-mortar college), and has obtained a bachelors degree in addiction counseling. Of course, when he is eventually released, he will have the burden of being a felon and sexual offender to boot, as well as being well into his 60s (he is 63 now).

How much the State of Texas (or, taxpayers) contribute to this I do not know. He is seeking a Master's Degree in his field, and I recently sent him $1,000 to cover the costs.

In my work (Federal disability claims), I see a lot of felons that file for disability upon release (usually citing depression or such). Very often (probably 80 percent of the time) they will testify that they had a limited education, but obtained a G.E.D. while in prison. Of course, a G.E.D. is not worth much.

If obtaining a college education will reduce the recidivism rate, I am all for it. I suspect that only those, like my friend, that wish to change the course of their life will seek this education (I doubt M-13 gang members will do so).

It costs a lot of money to house inmates. If some of them get an education and get a job, upon release, I am all for it.

Obviously, whether they will actually get a job involves a lot of factors. My friend is pursuing a blossoming career path (addiction counseling). I have no doubt he will remain sober and focused (he had actually been an executive for IBM way back when, married, had a wonderful house and life, only to lose it all when he became addicted to drugs and alcohol). His story is just one of many, sadly.
and what about our fine upstanding kids in school who want to go to college and can't afford it?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:36 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it's always about quick fixes....they can't reason or even begin to problem solve, the root of this problem is, the fact that most of these people in prison came from bad homes...teach kids how to be good parents....but that takes too long, and no one has thought of it, so hey, give our money away to felons.
Here's an intelligent fact:

The amount of people in jail is due to a broken system thy involves the foolish war on drugs.

Fact: there have always been broken homes.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
lol @thinking I'm a conservative and yes you support it no matter what you call yourself.
The line used to be you're not a Republican. Now it's you're not a Conservative? Why don't you tell us again how Obama did more to criminalize drugs than any Republican president.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Here's an intelligent fact:

The amount of people in jail is due to a broken system thy involves the foolish war on drugs.

Fact: there have always been broken homes.
hey, here's an idea, lets all go home and tell our kids, at the dinner table, when your a senior in high school, commit a crime, and you'll get your college paid for....

I'd much rather invest in the Good guy than a criminal....some I would believe will change, but the majority, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies