Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

there are way to many systems in this country which rewards bad behavior....we forget to look at the root of the problems, instead we put bandaides on the problems....and scream Fixed, at the taxpayers cost.

It's all about personal responsibility...isn't it....if kids didn't grow up the way they are, they wouldn't commit crimes...

it starts off when they are very young, they steal something, then they graduate to a bigger crime, and bigger after that...and now what your saying, is, it's ok to take my money, that I worked very hard for all my life, since I was 13, never arrested once, or in trouble, and give that to the criminals....

I want to fund kids with potential, who have studied all their lives....and want to go to college but cannot...
kids that came up hard, but were able to keep their noses clean....who maybe lost a parent, but stayed in school, and worked part time to help his mom, and kept his/her grades up. Those are the people we should be putting thru college...who are our future leaders.

Then move on to rehab the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
i think its brilliant to see prison inmates get educations. however to have the tax payers foot the bill seems criminal.

My personal opinion, criminal convictions should have sentences like "go to jail until you have achieved marketable skills... that you pay for by working while in prison."

so get busted with 5 lbs of weed, you don't do x years in jail. you go to jail until you are educated in something that will give you the ability to get a decent job... and you pay for it while in jail by working to pay for it.
well if the money doesn't come from tax payers, where do you think it comes from.

see that's the problem, everyone thinks and believes FREE this and FREE that, but it isn't free, someone is paying for it.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm sorry, but don't buy it, not when we have so many American boys and girls that need educations and have managed to stay out of prison....to follow laws....

What this is doing is rewarding bad behavior before our good students....

I'm in favor of rehabilitation, but not when our country has people who should come first, and then take it to the prisons....

And NJ had this in effect, but they want to now add more.....

I'm sorry, but we have way to many kids who are wanting to go to college...and can't afford it....give them the breaks and the money and when that's done, then give it to prison inmates.
Why is this an either/or?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
the ever growing prison population is happening b/c more and more people feel they are above the law....
maybe we should have invested in parenting classes in high school...or free birth control....?
I could agree with both of these proposals.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why is this an either/or?
Because there has to be a consequence for one's actions....if not, everything becomes chaotic....

this is taking away from good productive kids and giving it to people who broke the laws.....

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Whoever thinks up these things is beyond crazy

Now NJ want's to pass a bill, so that prison inmates will be able to apply for and receive a college education while in Prison, all on taxpayer's money.

Who is going to hire a felon?
Who did think this up? What bill are you talking about?

I got curious. I could not find any pending or proposed law as you claim. Here is what I found:

Christie touts expansion of NJ program offering college to prisoners | NJ.com

As the article (from 2014) noted:

"NJ-STEP is different because taxpayers don’t foot the bill. The program — based at Rutgers University-Newark — is funded with grant money from private companies and organizations. The Ford Foundation and The Sunshine Lady Foundation have committed to giving Rutgers $4 million over the next four years to help finance the expansion."

This article:

Poll: Should prisoners receive a free college education behind bars? | NJ.com

Noted this:

"At one time, though, college programs in prison were funded by taxpayer money. For decades, the U.S. allowed inmates to received federally finances Pell grants to obtain a higher education in prison. But in 1994, President Bill Clinton signed a bill that stopped the practice, causing programs to dwindle."

Hence, I cannot find any such proposed law that would involve taxpayer dollars. However, that is not to say there is not: I can't find it. Since you obviously read something, please link.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Someone who understands that people can be rehabilitated.
not when it comes to their business, their money....yes, there are a few business owners who would give them a chance, but to be honest, I don't know that I would...it would depend on the crime and the circumstance....

Old 04-12-2018, 09:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
there are way to many systems in this country which rewards bad behavior....we forget to look at the root of the problems, instead we put bandaides on the problems....and scream Fixed, at the taxpayers cost.

It's all about personal responsibility...isn't it....if kids didn't grow up the way they are, they wouldn't commit crimes...

it starts off when they are very young, they steal something, then they graduate to a bigger crime, and bigger after that...and now what your saying, is, it's ok to take my money, that I worked very hard for all my life, since I was 13, never arrested once, or in trouble, and give that to the criminals....

I want to fund kids with potential, who have studied all their lives....and want to go to college but cannot...
kids that came up hard, but were able to keep their noses clean....who maybe lost a parent, but stayed in school, and worked part time to help his mom, and kept his/her grades up. Those are the people we should be putting thru college...who are our future leaders.

Then move on to rehab the criminals.
This is all well and good but does nothing to address the issue of people in prison NOW.

Shouldn't part of addressing the parenting "problem" also include rehabilitating parents currently in prison so that they are better able to raise their children so that the children don't repeat their parents' mistakes?

Seems to me that this IS looking at the root of a lot of the problems.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
This is all well and good but does nothing to address the issue of people in prison NOW.

Shouldn't part of addressing the parenting "problem" also include rehabilitating parents currently in prison so that they are better able to raise their children so that the children don't repeat their parents' mistakes?

Seems to me that this IS looking at the root of a lot of the problems.
why not take that same money and rehabilitate and educate the homeless First....

We are constantly giving money away and helping other countries....

the way to help others, is to first, get your own house in order, and then branch out slowly to help your own and others at home....

We always do it backwards...always....

once they get in Prison, they're pretty much gone, depending on the crime....a life of crime is all they've known, you rehabilitate young kids in school, teach them morals, how to be good parents, HOW TO USE BIRTH CONTROL, GIVE THEM HOPE AND OPPORTUNITES, you'll have less people ending up in prison. Teach them what to look for in a lifetime mate, how to parent, how to stay away from the gang mentality....that working for what you want is the reward, to not depend on others to carry them...

That would be a start....

Old 04-12-2018, 09:15 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Commiting a crime should have negative consequences and a free college degree shouldnt be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies