Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times

Advertisements

Medicine in this country is a scam. If you want to get rich by screwing people over, the best way you can do it is start a drug company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 AM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Muscle pain is a well known side effect of statins. I honestly don't remember if my doctor told me about that when I started. The information that comes with the prescription probably discusses it as well. (I don't have one here or I'd check.) Except for conspiracy sites, I can't find anything about fatalities from statins that are attributable to the drugs. Here is what the Mayo Clinic says:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20046013

Mayo Clinic says:

"Oddly enough, most randomized controlled studies of statins indicate that people taking statins develop muscle pain at the same rate as people taking placebo."

This is false, but it's being quoted everywhere as evidence that statins don't cause real pain, only imaginary pain.

One study found that people were more likely to report muscle pain if they knew they were taking statins.

https://www.badscience.net/2014/03/s...matters-again/

That is not the same thing. And that study was very inconclusive.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Mayo Clinic says:

"Oddly enough, most randomized controlled studies of statins indicate that people taking statins develop muscle pain at the same rate as people taking placebo."

This is false, but it's being quoted everywhere as evidence that statins don't cause real pain, only imaginary pain.

One study found that people were more likely to report muscle pain if they knew they were taking statins.

https://www.badscience.net/2014/03/s...matters-again/

That is not the same thing. And that study was very inconclusive.
I just take fish oil. After it knocked my level down 30 points in 3 months, it has stayed down for 10 years.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When you find out you have a chronic medical condition, research it. You will soon know more about it than the doctor. For example, I have chronic kidney disease. I have been to 3 different doctors, our local clinic has a huge turnover, every one of them tried to get me to use ibuprofen for arthritis pain. NSAIDS can actually do more kidney damage. You are never supposed to take them with kidney disease. But I knew that and they didn't. Protect yourself. Never start a new med without researching it.
I agree. I have an autoimmune disease and I learned a ton on my own. Thankfully I have a great doctor who treats me as a partner when it comes to my health so feel lucky to have that type of relationship.

My daughter also got very sick and the meds that were being prescribed had insane side effects. They didn’t work for her either so through diet and lifestyle changes we were able to get her health condition under control. Our doc held our hand through the process even after stoping the meds she had prescribed and was so helpful. I 100%agree about researching meds, side effects, alternatives.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-16-2018 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
An ER doctor prescribed my 9 year old granddaughter oxycodone for the pain from an ear infection. I thought he was nuts and told my son not to give it to her.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM

1,065 posts, read 596,914 times
Quote:
And sometimes fish oil is one of the drugs employed to treat cholesterol. (Agreeing with you.) Which brings me to my point. I want to publicly thank you for bringing up fish oil. I was supposed to stop it for two days for some medical procedure I had (I think colonoscopy) and I never restarted. I will restart today!

Au contraire, there is data now from Australia where the HPV vaccine has really been encouraged. They go into the schools and give it.
Success of National HPV Vaccination Program
"Almost all Australian schools have chosen to participate in the National HPV Vaccination Program.

Over 9 million doses of the vaccine have been given to girls and young women in Australia.

Research studies have shown early signs of the vaccine's success including:

a 77% reduction in HPV types responsible for almost 75% of cervical cancer

almost 50% reduction in the incidence of high-grade cervical abnormalities in Victorian girls under 18 years of age

a 90% reduction in genital warts in heterosexual men and women under 21 years of age.
As cervical cancer usually develops over 10 or more years, the role of the vaccine in reducing cervical cancer will not be evident for some time.

In time, this will mean a decline in abnormal Cervical Screening Test results, and fewer women going through the stress of the tests and treatment that follow. The vaccine has also brought a significant decline in genital warts in young men and women."

Could you explain what you're talking about?

Document, and not from a conspiracy source.

That's a little off the deep end. Document, again, not from a conspiracy source.

You sure do digress. It stands to reason someone knowledgeable about drugs might get a job with a drug company when their government job ends.

The epidemiologists will learn if any subsequent birth defects from the offspring would or could be attributed to the vaccine. I discussed eggs in utero earlier so it's within that context. My other information relative to pharma is from people in the trade. The reason for deliberately mis-spelling a product is if it's really not the product - for example if the definition or requirements according to FDA, are not met for something to be sold as cheese then it's mis-spelled as chez or cheese food, or ground beef is re-labeled as ground meat. This prevents lawsuits. (This isn't about onoatopoeias like extreme now mis-spelled as xtreme.)

Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Just what do you (plural) think doctors do learn in 4 years in med school and 3-8+ more years in residency? Alt-medders are constantly saying "doctors have very little education in nutrition, vaccines, wellness, prevention, yada, yada, yada".
They learn a lot but nutrition and diet is not a major focus or even a significant focus. In fact it’s a very small portion of their education.

Quote:
only 27 percent of U.S. medical schools actually offer students the recommended 25 hours of nutritional training, according to a recent perspective piece in Academic Medicine.
Quote:
Modern medicine maintains the importance of proper nutrition, yet on average, U.S. medical schools only offer 19.6 hours of nutrition education across four years of medical education, according to the perspective authors. “This corresponds to less than 1 percent of estimated total lecture hours,” they wrote. “Moreover, the majority of this educational content relates to biochemistry, not diets or practical, food-related decision making.”
https://wire.ama-assn.org/education/...ing-med-school

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-16-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I am just saying that at age 70, I never had known a person who had shingles until the last few years. There seems to be more cases of it than before.
I did read a study a couple weeks ago and no I don't have the link, it stated that the number of shingles cases had skyrocketed since the chickenpox vaccine went into common use. They did not have enough research yet to tie them together.
Yes, shingles in on the rise. There is good reason to believe that the widespread use of the chicken pox vaccine is responsible for the the rise in shingles case considering people who have had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine no longer recieve the immune boost from being repeatedly re-exposed to the virus that would help keep it shingles check and dormant.

Keep in mind that you’ll be told that this theory has been thoroughly debunked but also keep in mind the amount of money involved in these vaccines that could prevent the proper funding and publishing of unbiased studies into this matter.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I just take fish oil. After it knocked my level down 30 points in 3 months, it has stayed down for 10 years.
Just this morning I was reading about Ruby Red Grapefruit’s role in lowering cholesterol. Very interesting stuff.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 596,914 times
Quote:
I am just saying that at age 70, I never had known a person who had shingles until the last few years. There seems to be more cases of it than before.
I did read a study a couple weeks ago and no I don't have the link, it stated that the number of shingles cases had skyrocketed since the chickenpox vaccine went into common use. They did not have enough research yet to tie them together.
Anecdotally, myself, I didn't have the vaccine but had shingles, in my early 20's - it was after a round of steroids. Years later, a friend of mine's 23 year old son had them but I don't know if he'd been vaccinated against chickenpox. He had been on prednisone, also. Thought it'd be worth sharing and mentioning (because it may not be the vaccine causing shingles after all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies