Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,700,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was thinking about this.

On one hand he rides the bus so that means he may only know how to get there via the route it takes which is probably inefficient.

On the other hand he's 14 in the year 2018. Kid surely knows how to Google map by now...I would think.
He didn't have a phone with him.

Quote:
His mom had taken his phone away, so he didn't have that with him to get directions.
Quote:
"Exactly, and that's exactly how I feel. Like, wow. Because you were trying to get to school," says his mother, Lisa Wright. "I found out later the only reason [the man] missed is because he forgot to take the safety off."

Lisa was at work when she got the call. She says her husband is deployed in Syria, so she was assuming she was getting a call about him until she realized they were calling about Brennan. She dropped everything and immediately went to the substation to be with her son.

That's where investigators told her the family's Ring doorbell recorded the encounter. Investigators watched the video with Brennan and his mom. She says the video confirmed their suspicions.

"One of the things that stands out, that probably angers me the most is, while I was watching the tape, you can hear the wife say, 'Why did "these people" choose my house?'" she says, before taking a long pause. "Who are, "these people?" And that set me off. I didn't want to believe it was what it appeared to look like. When I heard her say that, it was like, but it is [what it looks like]."
Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills - Story | WTTG

Old 04-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The NRA was in that house?
Kind of.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,629,760 times
Not too long ago a high school girl knocked on our door and asked to use our phone. I thought that was strange and asked her what was going on. She said she didn't have a phone and that she and her mother had just moved to our city. Her mother was supposed to pick her up at school but didn't and the girl got tired of waiting and decided to walk home. Then she got worried that her mother would get to the school and be panicked when she couldn't find the girl. So she stopped at our house to try and call her mother.

Rather than shoot at her, I let her use my phone and then drove her home. Strange, I know.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM

34,142 posts, read 18,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
I'm as pro gun and pro 2A as anyone.

If this news account is true, this man should be prosecuted and if convicted of a felony, be stripped of his guns.
^^^^^This. Prosecute those who USE guns illegally.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM

36,857 posts, read 17,250,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Other articles make it pretty clear.
The racist couple had a Nest doorbell, so the entire incident was recorded.
When she saw the kid at the door she said 'why did these people choose our house.'

The guy will be charged today. Wonder if it'll be assault with a deadly weapon, or worse?

Racist incidents happen every day, multiple times a day.
To believe otherwise would be pure ignorance.
Bonafide provable incidents on a scale worthy of scrutiny are very rare.

If the info holds and the tapes check out (I see no reason why they wouldn't at this point) we have one of those incidents.

It's pretty rare.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times
Who did the shooting and what's his story?

Occupants could have:

Ignored the bell, or

Communicated through the door, or

Used the same open window used to fire at the kid to communicate with the kid

Instead, the occupant chose to shoot.

6,732 posts, read 5,146,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He's 14, the school was 4 miles away and he'd always taken the bus. He thought he knew the route, but got off track. It's not that hard to believe.
It’s hard to believe for that poster, because the 14-year old is black.

Which is what Suburban Guy already alluded to.

People like him will stereotype this kid as some thug who was trying to break into a house, but then turn around and will get defensive if people come into this thread to make generalizations about gun owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who did the shooting and what's his story?

Occupants could have:

Ignored the bell, or

Communicated through the door, or

Used the same open window used to fire at the kid to communicate with the kid

Instead, the occupant chose to shoot.
Occupant is now being held in jail until his arraignment.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:48 AM

36,857 posts, read 17,250,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Thanks for that info.

Give this kid credit. 4 miles and not knowing the way for sure yet he still gave it a go.

Luckily David Duke forgot to take the safety off.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:49 AM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
For anyone asking the question "what kid doesn't know how to get to his own school", you are asking the wrong question. Not knowing how to get to his school has nothing to do with him getting shot. Asking such a question is just a sly way of trying to justify him getting shot. I don't care that he didn't know how to get to his school. That doesn't matter to me. What matters is that he got shot and why he got shot. If he got shot because he was a Black kid asking for directions, then we have a racially motivated shooting. The person who committed the murder should up punished severely. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies