Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, probably.

I'd think he is more corrupt due to his wealth.
I think he is corrupt in every part of his life! He lies, cheats and steals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:03 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But, wouldn't he have lost interest in the presidency once he got it? So HOW can he be a good president when he has no interest?
Good question! He usually doesn't seem very interested in actually being the president. He had a blast with rallies and being worshipped, actual governing is not so much fun.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:04 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, probably.

I'd think he is more corrupt due to his wealth.
Wonder how much more corrupt someone as corrupt as he is already could get.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A poor man wins an election, goes to DC and learns how to get rich by selling influence and doing insider trading. He wants to be one of the elites. Trump has always had money and if you read his books over the years, he doesn't care about 'things'. Once he gets something he loses interest. It's about accomplishing goals and defeating adversaries, which is why he is a good President. The Clintons and Obamas were poor so there was too much temptation. Peter Schweitzer has several books on how politicians get rich. Most of it is legal but generally unethical.
Obamas and Clintons were poor.....key word “were”.

When they were first elected they had net worths lower than mine,
now with speaking tour and books money....multi multi millionaires...and they deserve it.

I don’t think Trump is corrupt....he may be a lot of other things but I don’t think he is corrupt.

Like you said, Trump doesn’t care much about money, though I think pads his net worth,
10 billion is probably more like 3 billion.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:09 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Obamas and Clintons were poor.....key word “were”.

When they were first elected they had net worths lower than mine,
now with speaking tour and books money....multi multi millionaires...and they deserve it.

I don’t think Trump is corrupt....he may be a lot of other things but I don’t think he is corrupt.

Like you said, Trump doesn’t care much about money, though I think pads his net worth,
10 billion is probably more like 3 billion.
What makes you think that? If that is true, why did he stiff contractors and scam hard-working Americans out of their savings?

Old 04-14-2018, 06:17 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yet he was interesting enough to upset you, and set in motion the above reply.
Oh no! Not the "you're triggerred" troll response. There's no way I can keep my composure in the face of such acute and devastating wit. I'll be back later after I go cry myself to sleep.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 PM

23,455 posts, read 12,487,658 times
For the most part -no- in that I certainly wouldn't elect a man who doesn't have two pennies to rub together after being in business for most of his life.

Remnick must have been wearing his puss hat when he wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
A determination of corruption takes herds of lawyers and courts, decades to determine. what may seem like corruption to the one lawyer is really a loophole in existing law.

I'm sure you, the 99%, feel all big business is corrupt based on the lawsuits they field daily.

Trump is so corrupt that the dems couldn't round up any evidence of a crime to prevent him from becoming president or to impeach him.

Corrupt, you want corrupt, look at the Obama admin, HRC in particular. Fraught with daily lies about national security and the economy, weaponizing federal agencies to suppress the conservative vote aiding and abetting the enemy. Now that is corruption anyone can understand without 10 years and millions of dollars spent on lawyers, reversals and appeals.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
If that is true, why did he stiff contractors and scam hard-working Americans out of their savings?
Because America rewards that sort of behavior. Duh.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I was re-reading an essay from before the election:

American Demagogue
The New Yorker
By David Remnick

Trump can be viewed as part of a deadly serious wave of authoritarians and xenophobes who have come to power in Russia, Poland, and Hungary, and who lead such movements as the National Front, in France, and the Independence Party, in the United Kingdom. Vladimir Putin and Trump have expressed mutual admiration. It’s not hard to see why. Putin has obliterated the early shoots of Russian democracy as evidence of weakness and obeisance to the West; his eighty-per-cent popularity rating is built on arousing nationalism and a hatred of minorities (ethnic and sexual), the suppression of dissent, and a bare-chested macho image.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ump-phenomenon

And I was particular struck by the idea that Trump supporters "find him incorruptible precisely because he is rich."

Do you think that's true?

The interesting part is that Trump is supposedly not that rich - I mean, sure, compared to most of us, but not compared to "real" billionaires like Michael Bloomberg. Trump has been shown to lie, exaggerating his wealth. Nor is he considered a particularly good businessman, which is why no one here would lend him money and he had to go snuffling abroad.

I was thinking that maybe that's exactly why Trump is clearly so corrupt, and has pals who are known for their dubious backgrounds. Bloomberg is everything Trump's not: He has real money, he is a careful even-tempered man, he is well-spoken, he is cultured, and he uses large chunks of his money for the public welfare. Trump, on the other hand, probably knows how unstable his own wealth is, and is so desperate to keep up appearances - this may be why he's vulnerable. He's terrified of being seen as what he terms, in his black/white vocabulary, a "loser."
This post is spot on...

Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

And I was particular struck by the idea that Trump supporters "find him incorruptible precisely because he is rich."

Do you think that's true?
Yes, it would seem that many Trumpers buy into this absurd theory of Trump's morality being based on his wealth which as you noted is not really that much when considering the upper 1% gang.

A failed would-be real estate Baron and TV reality show host has been is not suddenly going to get religion (except when it's convenient to mouth the word "Christian") and run for the office of president just because he suddenly developed a supposed love of country and a desire to help the "common folk."

This is such an obvious con that I find it unbelievable that people would buy into it. Guess BT Barnum was right - there's a sucker born every minute.

Certainly Trump has displayed no love of country either in the run up to the election or all the time since. He praised Putin to the skies and refused to do anything about protecting our next elections from foreign influence because doing so would mean that maybe he didn't win fair and square which he didn't. He lost the popular vote and the electoral college should have been assigned to the dung heap of history long before it was ever made a part of our Constitution.

Trump has proven himself to be the billionaire's best friend with his permanent tax cuts for the uber-wealthy and the huge multinational corporations. Whatever tax cuts the rest of us may see are merely temporary. In a few years they'll vanish, but Goldman Sach's will enjoy the fruits of this dirty deal until the end of time or until global warming causes Wall Street to sink beneath the rising oceans - whichever comes first.

Why would a billionaire want to run for the office of president? A first grader knows the answer to that one - so he can make even more billions. Our society has come to worship wealth and power above all things with the result that we now have Spanky the warmonger and liar for president.

Goodbye, America. It was swell knowing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies