Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,636,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well, you experiencing something and someone else not experiencing it is an apples and oranges comparison too...so...sure.
Nope, that's just a terrible comparison. People get mugged. People get robbed. That happens whether you expect it or not. But in the million times I or other blacks have been to Starbucks to study, wait for someone, or etc (I've even had job interviews there), we don't expect to get the cops called on us.

Your comparison is just bad.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...d-philadelphia

Apparently these 2 black men were just hanging out at Starbucks waiting for a friend before ordering anything. The report said that the store was called the cops because they didn't buy anything.

I've literally seen this happen all the time. I've done this myself several times. I've waited for a friend for 30 mins on a Saturday before ordering anything. If it was super crowded, I would probably get up and order something just so I wouldn't look like I'm taking up a seat, but this story doesn't mention anything about that being the reason. Also, why were there 3 cops called for something like this???

Just seems like a huge overreaction. They seemed like they were just minding there own business like everyone else does at Starbucks.
So by you starting a thread with the headline of "2 black men", I suppose you wish to push the speculation it was related to race?

Over the years I've seen police called for the dumbest of things, not the least of which was a Wildlife LEO who was wearing a gun (in uniform), and the manager was a total leftist tool. He explained that he was a cop, and this fool said he would not allow a regular cop to eat there wearing a gun, much less someone like this guy. When the police arrived (5 of them over the course of several minutes) they read the manager the riot act.
Lesson of story;

1)Even white cops have the police called on them
2)The number of cops responding to a call has many factors, not the least of which how many are in the area, and how busy it is.
3)Some people do not belong as managers because they do not have any common sense, or use their limited authority to push personal/political agendas.
4)Had this story not involved a minority (even if there was a genuine injustice), it never would have been reported, or reprinted by posters like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yawn. So what? 99% of the time there are details that these stories leave out to craft a victim story. And people get arrested constantly in Philly, most for legit reasons. Not falling for it every time a black guy gets arrested. Every detail and the fallout or its not a story.
Exactly
We have no idea why this happened, nor what led to it. Yet that will not stop knee-jerk liberals and the leftist media from assuming it was racism, based on their own warped thought process.

`

Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM

1,874 posts, read 813,705 times
All people do at Sbux is loiter. Something doesn't add up, either the two were being loud and obnoxious or the manager is just a flaming racist. But you can't get mad at the cops when the store calls and asks them to kick somebody out and they kick somebody out.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 AM

34,173 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
We have no idea why this happened, nor what led to it. Yet that will not stop knee-jerk liberals and the leftist media from assuming it was racism, based on their own warped thought process.
True, however, I think these facts are known. Starbucks asked the two men to leave because they weren't purchasing anything, and the asked to use the rest room. Starbucks then called the police when the men refused. The police arrive, and asked the men to leave. They refused. The police characterized they were responding to a "disturbance". After the men refused to leave after being told to do so by the police, the men were arrested.

The entire episode would not be news if the men were white, or Asian, etc, but solely because they are Black the MEDIA, and liberal social justice virtue signalers make it a huge, national issue to make it seem the entire U.S. culture is racist against Blacks, and Whites are inherently bad.

Last edited by Pilot1; 04-16-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,723,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
By Blacks and Hispanics keeping to their own parts of the city and not going to places where there's a White majority...
When he says mixed neighborhood he is referring to whites, blacks, Asians, and Hispanics. The area the two black men were in was a rich white neighborhood.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What was wrong with their skin color or clothes?

They didn't look like business men. I believe they had on sweat pants and hoodies

Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
They didn't look like business men. I believe they had on sweat pants and hoodies
Plenty of "business men" wear jeans nowadays.

Wearing casual attire while some guy tries to talk you into investing in his business isn't odd at all.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you can have 2 people doing the same exact thing but if one is Black and the other is white the interpretation usually differs.

white man pointing his gun at the feds = hero, standing up for your rights

Black man pointing gun at the feds = thug, criminal, he deserves to die!!!

white men sitting in starbucks waiting for a friend = not a problem

Black men sitting in starbucks waiting for a friend = might be casing the place to rob it.

They could have been thinking they were about to be robbed since crime in this city is done by mostly black men with beards which is what you see on the news all the time.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,516,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
They could have been thinking they were about to be robbed since crime in this city is done by mostly black men with beards which is what you see on the news all the time.
Oh give me a break. When you go to a department store & browse around for an hour but end up not buying anything, are you trespassing? Do you feel you're entitled to getting arrested?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM

1,239 posts, read 507,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think all the manager had to do was tell the cops that these men were asked to leave and they were trespassing and the cops had to remove them.

Since the men refused to go, the cops then had to arrest them.

If that manager does not have a legitimate reason for calling the police, I absolutely agree that the manager should be fired.
I think the situation was awful, I don't blame Starbucks, but I also think a short protest would be good.

There is no way that the cops should have been called. It was almost certainly a racist decision by the manager, and he/she should be fired.

I think Starbucks works very hard to be inclusive, and this is definitely not an issue endemic of the chain as a whole.

A 1 day protest (something like not using the app) would send a clear message (with quantifiable results) to all companies about how citizens feel about issues like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies