Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.c...starbucks/amp/

Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
The manager who called the police plans to step down from hoa role as store manager and would like to mret the two men so he can apologize to them face to face.

Glad to hear he is going to take responsibility.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
The media's campaign has been successful:
Philly Starbucks manager 'no longer' at store amid protests - NY Daily News

This is so freaking ridiculous I don't even know what to say. A couple of knuckleheads go to Starbucks, hang around, not buying anything. The manager foolishly calls police before he apparently spoke to the two men. The police come and ask them to leave, they don't do it. Arrested.

This . Is . Not . A . Racial . Issue.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:15 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

This is so freaking ridiculous I don't even know what to say. A couple of knuckleheads go to Starbucks, hang around, not buying anything. The manager foolishly calls police before he apparently spoke to the two men. The police come and ask them to leave, they don't do it. Arrested.

How is it not a racial issue if white people were doing the same thing as the black men but only the black men were asked to leave?

Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

You don't think it is -- lots of people do.

So - move on - what do you care.

Those that think it is a racist issue are pleased it is being addressed and that's important.

Store manager is fine -- still has a job...and has learned a lesson about actions having consequences.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You don't think it is -- lots of people do.

So - move on - what do you care.

Those that think it is a racist issue are pleased it is being addressed and that's important.

Store manager is fine -- still has a job...and has learned a lesson about actions having consequences.
Well, Starbucks does have a racist president, Rosalind Brewer. Maybe she sets the tone for the company.

It's also interesting how Starbucks management has blamed the entire incident on their local manager. Really hung him out to dry. The lesson he has learned is to not follow company policy and eject people who are not customers.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
When I first read this story, I responded that there must be more to the story. However, after seeing and hearing more about it, this was absolutely wrong and those two men were not doing anything a lot of us white people do every day. Often, I approach a customer where I work, and ask if I can help them. Sometimes they say "No, I'm just killing time, my wife is shopping next door". We never ask them to leave.

I've gone into a business and waited for someone else to show up, sometimes we may decide to eat there, sometimes we don't, but I have never been asked to leave, let alone arrested. Those men were targeted and Starbucks should be very ashamed, and the manager fired.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I first read this story, I responded that there must be more to the story. However, after seeing and hearing more about it, this was absolutely wrong and those two men were not doing anything a lot of us white people do every day. Often, I approach a customer where I work, and ask if I can help them. Sometimes they say "No, I'm just killing time, my wife is shopping next door". We never ask them to leave.

I've gone into a business and waited for someone else to show up, sometimes we may decide to eat there, sometimes we don't, but I have never been asked to leave, let alone arrested. Those men were targeted and Starbucks should be very ashamed, and the manager fired.
At least get your facts correct. They asked to use the restroom. That is against Starbucks policy.

The manager may have used poor judgement but he was just enforcing company policy.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:09 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
If the gentlemen walked in and asked to use the bathroom without buying anything, and then sat down and refused to leave after being told no-it becomes more understandable why the manager called the Cops. It still doesn't make it right-but it becomes "selective policy enforcement" than outright discrimination. I also wonder if the gentlemen ever made it known their intentions to eventually buy something or the fact they were meeting someone else. I'm guessing not.

Apparently this location was recently robbed at gunpoint-but the manager chose the wrong time and people to start enforcing store policy.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:12 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:

Is there a reason you've referred to then as "knuckleheads?" Anything about their appearance that made you use that term? Hmmm, I wonder.

ONE OF THE MEN INVOLVED RUNS A REAL-ESTATE COMPANY. THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE A MEETING ABOUT BUSINESS INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE AREA.

Still feel that they were "knuckleheads?"

Do you know how many times I've been to Starbucks and just sat there playing on my phone or scrolling through Facebook until my friends arrived? Maybe because I'm white, but I've never had a manager call the police on me for doing so.

Last edited by NeutralParty; 04-17-2018 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies