Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 07:13 AM

24,358 posts, read 22,917,347 times

Advertisements

What you had was two guys loitering in a business which is private property. They wouldn't patronize the business, they just wanted to use the rest room and hang out until they met up with whoever the guy was they were meeting. So they make it clear to management they aren't customers and are asked to leave. They refuse. They create a scene until the police are called and they refuse to act responsibly and force the police to arrest them. Stupidity on everyone's part, but especially theirs.
What was sad was how many people defended them saying that they do the same thing... loiter in businesses and use free Wi FI and charge phones and just hang out. WTH is wrong with people these days that they can't respect others and maintain a sense of proper behavior in public? Then you also had the angry reactionaries who were looking for something to attack the police over and to give Starbuck's a hard time. Naturally Philly's joke of a Mayor immediately caved to the crybabies and grandstanded to the media. Okay, let him toss his police force under the bus like he's pledged to do and is already doing. But he may want to rethink alienating Philly's downtown businesses and his promoting a community of disrespect and disregard for rules and conduct. When Philly gets super violent this summer, I'm sure he'll vow to do something... like banning firearms. Yeah, he's that stupid.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 AM

28,841 posts, read 30,100,958 times
Quote:
moneill Did you ever think Starbucks wisely moved the manager (they weren't fired -- you jumped to the WRONG conclusion) for their own safety?
Well, thank goodness for that, I'm so sick of this crapola, makes me and a lot of my black friends very angry.

Quote:
And I'm telling you -- I've been to Starbucks, not ordered, sat down and have never been asked to leave.
I'm sure you have, and I'm sure others have, but the manager, does have the right to ask you to leave. I'm not going to say where, but there was a time I'd stop in a coffee shop every morning and check my emails....and I didn't order...and the manager came over and asked me to purchase something....

Quote:
And do Starbucks managers ask every customer who has come in and asked for the code to the washroom to buy something FIRST...no -- they why apply that rule to some and not others.
I'm certain they don't...but there are in fact establishments, that have signs up...

Quote:
If rules are to have any power they have to be consistent. You don't just apply them to certain people on certain days....
and I'm sure they don't...however, like I said, different areas, probably require different sets of rules, and I'm telling you, Philly can be a very dangerous place....

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM

2,002 posts, read 1,160,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What you had was two guys loitering in a business which is private property. They wouldn't patronize the business, they just wanted to use the rest room and hang out until they met up with whoever the guy was they were meeting. So they make it clear to management they aren't customers and are asked to leave. They refuse. They create a scene until the police are called and they refuse to act responsibly and force the police to arrest them. Stupidity on everyone's part, but especially theirs.
What was sad was how many people defended them saying that they do the same thing... loiter in businesses and use free Wi FI and charge phones and just hang out. WTH is wrong with people these days that they can't respect others and maintain a sense of proper behavior in public? Then you also had the angry reactionaries who were looking for something to attack the police over and to give Starbuck's a hard time. Naturally Philly's joke of a Mayor immediately caved to the crybabies and grandstanded to the media. Okay, let him toss his police force under the bus like he's pledged to do and is already doing. But he may want to rethink alienating Philly's downtown businesses and his promoting a community of disrespect and disregard for rules and conduct. When Philly gets super violent this summer, I'm sure he'll vow to do something... like banning firearms. Yeah, he's that stupid.
They didn’t just “ want to use the restroom and hang out”, they were waiting for a colleague to discuss a business deal. Millions of people have meetings in Starbucks. I recently met my mortgage broker there. Guess what? He was late, so I used the bathroom and sat at a table until he arrive THEN I ordered a muffin.

I don’t agree with the boycott as it appears the was just a rogue manager. However as a black person I am offended that the manager would dare call the police. I also fault the police, as there were plenty of white people there that explained the guys were done by nothing and they even got the guy they were meeting on the phone who said he was on his way. This was a clear case of racial profiling. I don’t feel it is corporate wide as Starbucks is actually pretty socially conscious.

Let’s stop with the loitering bs, Starbucks was damn near custom made for “ loitering”. I’m frankly tired of white people calling the police every time they are racially triggered. This could’ve wound up much worse considering some of our trigger happ cops. But again, I still don’t advocate boycotting sbux. I really don’t know why folks even like their horrible overpriced coffee

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
AMEN!!!!!

and now they use this to drive home a law suit....it is very common...and like I said before, you continue to force this down everyone's throats, you are feeding the fire/racism. You cannot tell people how to think and feel....

People have no respect any longer....its all about "that rule doesn't apply to me". And that is why police "have" to get tough...

Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,394,334 times
Waste of time to worry about or think about. The business has the right to call the police if they don't want somebody in their place. Second, we don't know the details/facts of this, just a general idea about it. Were they homeless, was the restaurant busy, were they disruptive, is the restroom for customers only. Too many facts left out, you can't always claim just because somebody is black or Chinese or whatever that is why they were arrested. It's getting to be an old excuse for people.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM

34,133 posts, read 18,385,442 times
Quote:
^^^^^This. Well said. It gives the Progressive Virtue Signalers an opportunity to fan their Liberal, White guilt, and maybe feel less guilty for a few hours. It also gave BLM an excuse to disrupt a business, and restrain trade yet again. These businesses aren't charities, they are businesses.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 261 times
Hopefully the eventual facts will come out. I'll just wait and see the outcome, and not pass judgment either way. #RaceCard, #Racism, #LoveMyStarbucks.
HABTuesday Ya'll

Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,375,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobedo View Post
Hopefully the eventual facts will come out. I'll just wait and see the outcome, and not pass judgment either way. #RaceCard, #Racism, #LoveMyStarbucks.
HABTuesday Ya'll
I think this is a good idea, though some of my liberal FB friends think otherwise.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
treasurefinder They didn’t just “ want to use the restroom and hang out”, they were waiting for a colleague to discuss a business deal. Millions of people have meetings in Starbucks. I recently met my mortgage broker there. Guess what? He was late, so I used the bathroom and sat at a table until he arrive THEN I ordered a muffin.
If that were the case and those men were on the up and up, they would have gotten a cup of coffee and have been done with it, but, nooooah, that would have been the right thing to do!

Quote:
I don’t agree with the boycott as it appears the was just a rogue manager. However as a black person I am offended that the manager would dare call the police. I also fault the police, as there were plenty of white people there that explained the guys were done by nothing and they even got the guy they were meeting on the phone who said he was on his way. This was a clear case of racial profiling. I don’t feel it is corporate wide as Starbucks is actually pretty socially conscious.
you know what, if I'd have been there, and the manager had asked the men to buy something or leave, and they'd have fussed about it, I'd have called police to deter any violence. You don't have any idea who is packing and who is not these days...and as I said, if it were you and/or me, we'd have done the right thing and have just left, and waited outside of the place....Easy Peasy. Why'd they have to make a fuss?

Quote:
Let’s stop with the loitering bs, Starbucks was damn near custom made for “ loitering”. I’m frankly tired of white people calling the police every time they are racially triggered. This could’ve wound up much worse considering some of our trigger happ cops. But again, I still don’t advocate boycotting sbux. I really don’t know why folks even like their horrible overpriced coffee
loiter. v. to linger or hang around in a public place or business where one has no particular or legal purpose. In many states, cities and towns there are statutes or ordinances against loitering by which the police can arrest someone who refuses to "move along."

Loitering has historically been treated as an inherent preceding offense to other forms of public crime and disorder, such as prostitution, begging, public drunkenness, dealing in stolen goods, scams, organised crime, robbery, harassment/mobbing, etc.

.....and BTW, These routine wrongful convictions never make it into headlines because they are misdemeanors, petty offenses like trespassing, disorderly conduct, or loitering. ... Approximately 1 million felony convictions are entered every year; more than 10 million misdemeanor cases are filed in the same time.

Maybe when someone in a place of business asks you to leave, you should?

Again, rules and regulations, and laws...are there for a reason...
you have rules in your home, that were created by your parents, so, do you listen...do your kids respect rules in other peoples homes?

I'm all for black rights, but what I am not for, is when people use those rights, to break rules, or for entitlements, and that my friend goes for any person on the face of this earth.

We all know what is right and wrong, use, common sense...

Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,638,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Do you know how many times I've been to Starbucks and just sat there playing on my phone or scrolling through Facebook until my friends arrived? Maybe because I'm white, but I've never had a manager call the police on me for doing so.

They asked to use the restroom. Starbucks company policy is you can't use their restroom if you are not a customer.

Maybe it was selective enforcement of company policy but we don't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies