Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:05 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups.

That's enough for me.
Determined by who? The Southern Poverty Law Center? They consider any Christian organization as a hate group these days. Again, the Supreme Court ruled so it doesn’t matter what groups believe about civil marriage rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Refuse to serve food? Of course not...why lose the buck, especially in NY where there is a large not closeted gay population? That would affect the bottom line. But behind the scenes they continue supporting anti-gay causes.
It's true they do.

It's not a huge issue for me because I would actually have to make an effort to get to a Chick Filet and NO ONE has a chicken sandwich that good. So, by default of their location, they don't get my money.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Never ate there myself. Aside from southern white trash ignorance disguised as Christian theology, the food is unhealthy and fattening. But hay, if you like that kind of crap in your body, go right ahead. Hope you have health insurance.
I thought you guys were against HATE SPEECH?

What happened to Tolerance, Diversity, and Inclusiveness?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I thought you guys were against HATE SPEECH?

What happened to Tolerance, Diversity, and Inclusiveness?
Translation: Anything I don't personally like, I will classify as HATE SPEECH.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Finally, Chick-Fil-A is emerging from malls.

For that reason alone, I'd almost never visited them. Now that they have some "normal" locations, I've purchased their sandwiches a couple of times. They're OK, but nothing special. If I want a really good chicken sandwich, I'll go to the nearby Whataburger.

I do appreciate Chick-fil-A's sponsoring of college football.

I'm not religious in the least. But so what if they're a "Christian" operation? Those who object to Chick-fil-A wearing their bibles on their sleeves are free to patronize other fast food joints. Same with Hobby Lobby. Personally, I avoid the place, but my wife is the artsy-craftsy type and spends quite a bit there.

OK with me. Just don't try to drag me along.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I think you need to re-read or read the whole article. The culture of Chik-Fil-A does not mix with the culture of NY. They didn't talk about the stores being dirty or employees being mean.

I'm not sure how this article could be considered hate speech. If a kosher or halal restaurant was using their corporate power (oh wait, those don't exist) to spread hatred then, yes, you would see similar article on them. I've never eaten their chicken and probably never will.
I never said the article was hate speech. I argued that if the same type of article were written about a kosher restaurant or a halal restaurant it would be called hate speech. Big difference.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The fact that lines are out the door for these restaurants say that New Yorkers like the food and don’t care about the politics. But feel free to never eat there. I have no problem with that. My main objection is when mayors call for boycotts and a few years back when mayors and other government officials were trying to block the stores from opening in their communities.
Your OP talked about the taste of the food and the cleanliness of the restaurants. The article had nothing to do with the taste or cleanliness. That is why I said you need to read or re-read b/c you seemed to miss the point of it.

Now you are talking about boycotts and cities trying to block the stores. That is not part of the article. Finally, yes, I read the article and it sounds like they are doing a great business at these locations in NYC but that is not the point.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Your OP talked about the taste of the food and the cleanliness of the restaurants. The article had nothing to do with the taste or cleanliness. That is why I said you need to read or re-read b/c you seemed to miss the point of it.

Now you are talking about boycotts and cities trying to block the stores. That is not part of the article. Finally, yes, I read the article and it sounds like they are doing a great business at these locations in NYC but that is not the point.
Perhaps you should re-read my OP because I was objecting to the author saying it feels like an infiltration, and specifically mentioned that Mayor De Blasio called for a boycott of the first store in NYC in 2015. And I do remember several years ago mayors and aldermen in certain cities calling for the already approved construction of their stores to be withdrawn because they donated money to certain causes.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Translation: Anything I don't personally like, I will classify as HATE SPEECH.
Personally, I do not believe in the concept of Hate Speech. There is no right to not be offended. However, the Left seems to use hate speech as a way to censor the view in which they do not agree. Noticed, I asked a question of that poster who called Chik Fil A, and their patrons southern white trash. Doubt he will answer.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is this not what tolerance is all about? Not tolerating those different than you?
Tolerance for Chick-Fil-A would be for people to accept their statement they do not agree with same sex marriages, as is the company's right. But that is not what Chick-Fil-A has stated.

For Chick-Fil-A to say that they will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but then quietly continue to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups is not being tolerant. That is called being hypocritical.

If those in the founder's family want to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups and do so with profits that they have earned and taken off the company's balance sheet and put into their personal pockets, that is a different story. But it is not tolerance that they are using company money to quietly donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. Then it becomes a company stance on that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies