Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Tolerance for Chick-Fil-A would be for people to accept their statement they do not agree with same sex marriages, as is the company's right. But that is not what Chick-Fil-A has stated.
Not true. You do NOT have to agree to something to tolerate it.

Quote:
For Chick-Fil-A to say that they will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but then quietly continue to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups is not being tolerant. That is called being hypocritical.
I don't disagree.

Quote:
If those in the founder's family want to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups and do so with profits that they have earned and taken off the company's balance sheet and put into their personal pockets, that is a different story. But it is not tolerance that they are using company money to quietly donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. Then it becomes a company stance on that issue.
If you choose to not eat there, that is your right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Why do liberals think that they own the public space? People are free to boycott, but to write an article utilizing the term "infiltration" is what is actually incredibly, undeniably creepy.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not true. You do NOT have to agree to something to tolerate it.

I don't disagree.

If you choose to not eat there, that is your right
You do NOT have to agree to something to tolerate it. - This is true. But to donate to causes that are actively working against it is to not tolerate it.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
ZOMG! Chicken sandwiches are creepy.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
liberal in"tolerance" on display

Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...-new-york-city

I stumbled on this article today. What is wrong with these people? Chick-Fil-A is delicious. The stores are usually clean, and the employees are very nice. I don’t get it. Imagine an article like this for a kosher restaurant or a halal restaurant. It would be considered bigotry and hate speech, but apparently Christian bigotry is a-okay.

From the article:

“New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community.”

Thoughts?
Dang, this makes me hungry for some Chick-Fil-A. I think I’ll eat there tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
You do NOT have to agree to something to tolerate it. - This is true. But to donate to causes that are actively working against it is to not tolerate it.
But it is OK to donate to pro gay causes?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
You most certainly have no obligation to eat there. That is different than calling for it to not be there.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...-new-york-city

I stumbled on this article today. What is wrong with these people? Chick-Fil-A is delicious. The stores are usually clean, and the employees are very nice. I don’t get it. Imagine an article like this for a kosher restaurant or a halal restaurant. It would be considered bigotry and hate speech, but apparently Christian bigotry is a-okay.

From the article:

“New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community.”

Thoughts?
You have to remember, those on the left tend to be insular and surround themselves with "groupthink". Being exposed to different ideas and showing tolerance for others are not exactly things they are noted for. The bigotry and intolerance of the far left is simply on display once again.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You don't get that the anti-gay crusade of this chicken joint would upset New Yorkers? I am a New Yorker and have never gone into any ethnically inspired food place that in any way openly associated itself with any anti-whatever movement... The fact that you posted this and cannot see the reason for the exposure and rejection is mind-blowing. NY does not need another fast food joint anyway so these bigoted bible thumpers should stay the **** away. And I've heard that their chickens are from feedlots...how humane.
https://youtu.be/7cHbi_IRYpo
Thankfully, Ms. Member of the Thought Police, you aren't in charge. I'm not a 'bible thumper' (I'm agnostic). I think the free market should decide. If a franchisee wants to take the risk, he or she should be allowed to. Like AnesthesiaMD, I'm not going beyond taste (or, at least with me, not much beyond) re a fast food choice. If enough people agree with you, the franchisee will lose his or her investment. Based on what has been stated elsewhere in this thread, not enough of your fellow New Yorkers, plus visitors, are agreeing with you....which actually surprises me. Your idiot mayor got re-elected . If you're 'sickofnyc', you might try Chicago. You might fit right in....Rahm agrees with you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies