Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM

88,667 posts, read 44,404,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
we can provide healthcare for all if you're willing to give an additional 25% of your income to pay for it.
Yep. I just made that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You already pay for it genius.

The US spends more in public dollars per person on healthcare then the countries with a single payer, and then you pay for it again out of pocket.
That's because we're a nation of gluttonous freeloaders who irresponsibly don't take care of their health.

Highest rate of smokers? The low-income.

Highest rate of obesity? Those who get Food Stamps, even when compared to other low-income individuals who do NOT get Food Stamps.

From the USDA's IG? 59% of families on Food Stamps double-, triple-dip, or more, several public assistance free food programs for the exact same daily meals. The most egregious example being getting Food Stamps AND free school meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks, and even dinner for those enrolled in after-school programs) at the same time.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Wow, the number of people who champion abject tyranny is remarkable.
That's because they've all deluded themselves into thinking they won't be the ones to pay. They couldn't be more wrong. Read the info I posted on exactly how all those other countries are able to provide Single Payer health care. Everyone pays. And their taxes are regressive, so the tax burden falls most heavily on the low-income and middle class. Americans would never go along with that. They're infamous for NOT wanting to pull their own weight. /SMH

Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM

32,910 posts, read 12,210,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Like he said, we don't care what you friggin call it!

Trump is making every effort to dismantle the ACA, without any vision for replacement.

Many intelligent and patriotic Americans attempted to craft a truly affordable healthcare plan that would replace the nonsensical-vacuous-ER-non-existent plan previously held in place, prior to the years of the Obama presidency.

I do seriously think that Trump along with other GOP members would have preferred to tweak the ACA, rather than attempt to repeal it, if the previous president had been someone else...

It's high time we all listen to Bernie and the OP when it comes to healthcare.

Medicare for All Americans!
Sounds as though you didn't have insurance pre ACA and are likely getting a subsidy.

Comparing the policy I have now with the last policy I had before the ACA was in effect....My premium has almost quadrupled, and my deductible has almost tripled. Both policies = no lifetime cap. I don't qualify for a subsidy.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM

1,704 posts, read 744,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Sounds as though you didn't have insurance pre ACA and are likely getting a subsidy.

Comparing the policy I have now with the last policy I had before the ACA was in effect....My premium has almost quadrupled, and my deductible has almost tripled. Both policies = no lifetime cap. I don't qualify for a subsidy.
WRONG!!!

I'm a retired professional person, who occasionally consults. My premiums also increased. I don't qualify for any kind of subsidy either...

Apparently, your crystal ball is quite seriously broken!

Stay in your lane, kid!

Last edited by zeliner; 04-16-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 12:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 744,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's because we're a nation of gluttonous freeloaders who irresponsibly don't take care of their health.

Highest rate of obesity? Those who get Food Stamps, even when compared to other low-income individuals who do NOT get Food Stamps.

From the USDA's IG? 59% of families on Food Stamps double-, triple-dip, or more, several public assistance free food programs for the exact same daily meals. The most egregious example being getting Food Stamps AND free school meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks, and even dinner for those enrolled in after-school programs) at the same time.
Highly educated or highly skilled people like to earn a living while displaying their expertise in their chosen fields.

Most people would prefer to be gainfully employed just about anywhere, as opposed to freeload off others, or beg for mere subsistence.

We as tax payers sbould be more than willing to provide meals or whatever other needs the truly impoverished require for subsistence, as long as they are demonstrating effort and the desire to self-improve.

We're all Americans! We should all be willing to pull our own weight. However, sometimes we get derailed by unforseen events and circumstance.

Let's make education more affordable and more easily accessible....

Old 04-16-2018, 01:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,451,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I do happen to think our healthcare system is excellent as long as you are a contributing member of society and have health insurance (e.g. the working professional class is generally well taken care of).

Socialized medicine may have better coverage, but the price you pay for such a system is enormous. Look at the cost of other things in Europe compared to the US... Significantly higher taxes, smaller housing, expensive food (with smaller portions), generally terrible customer service, etc. etc. You're paying more and getting less for practically everything over there. Do you know that the price of a base model Subaru Forester in the UK costs around $37,000 BEFORE taxes and fees? Here in the US, it's around $22k...

All of these extra costs add up, and when you weigh the pros and the cons of living in "socialized" areas of the world, I think the cons tend to wash out the pros.
I'd rather pay $15,000 more for my Subaru than $200,000 more for my heart attack if my lame-o insurance doesn't cover it!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Highly educated or highly skilled people like to earn a living while displaying their expertise in their chosen fields.

Most people would prefer to be gainfully employed just about anywhere, as opposed to freeload off others, or beg for mere subsistence.
With the 3 to 1 birthrate, I'm seeing no such intent.

Census Bureau Data Analysis

Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,984,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Those aren't our biggest problems. Refer back to my original post. A lot of countries have obesity issues these days.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,141,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're not getting it.....but....you're already paying for it.
Doubt it. I defied the law and have no insurance. And will continue in that vein until Obamacare is repealed in its entirety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies