Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Millenials
There is a bigger wealth gap for sure 49 69.01%
They have it easy 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And Im still wondering how Im gonna get by, if Im ever gonna own a home.

One thing is for certain is that I work part time freelance
If you are really wondering how you're "gonna get by" or whether you're "gonna own a home," I'd suggest working full time as a first step.

You'd probably be surprised to find out that many people who get by and own homes work 50+ hours per week and have for decades. Part time freelance is not exactly a path to baller status, know what I mean?

Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Quote:
Your right about those aspects. Depression seems to be normalized aswell.
If by "depression is normalized," you mean that a very large number of millennial consider themselves to be official "depressed," I would tend to blame that on pharmaceutical companies, which are intent as getting as many people as possible to consider themselves unwell, and to medicate themselves.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 PM

292 posts, read 244,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The millenials are a clueless unsocialized bunch of space cadets, on average but they do have their parents looking out for them so they aren't at risk of starvation. But when THEY become parents, well, look for a generation of Napolean Dynamites.
And a lot of Boomers are Narcissistic and self entitled. As a front end Gen X member, I see many boomer spoiled brats, especially the women who never worked and were completely funded by their husbands
NOT to be nasty, but many of these gals would not, and actually cannot survive in a working environment without a lot of life skills coaching.

The Queens of their own throne, they are the first to bully up to the bar, bashing those who are younger, or in any precieved way less then them this is based on insecurities and other personal deficits. I dealt with this type thru work, and in charity functions....just yuck! I actually feel sorry for some of the Boomer men, who typically respect their fellow males, and worked long hours to provide for their family. I heard far less complaining from the Boomer males at work and in volunteer activities.

I will take the high skilled technology based millennial any day..male or female. The have interests, hobbies and are typically quite active in sports....if they can afford it! Due to student loans and the need to save for their own future ( no pensions or cradle to grave security like the Boomers enjoy) or to purchase a home, attempt to start a family.

The members who we are still lucky to have with us from the Greatest Generation of which I have been lucky to be acquainted with are totally a different species. Humble, helpful and generally interested in the younger generations. They are thankful when you give them your time and a helping hand.

BTW. Napoléon Dynamite is a great movie with subliminal messaging...re-watch it with that in mind.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
I don't understand the poll choices and I don't care for the millennial stereotype. Most I know are hard working and interesting people. Just like with every generation mileage may vary. :-)

Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If you are really wondering how you're "gonna get by" or whether you're "gonna own a home," I'd suggest working full time as a first step.

You'd probably be surprised to find out that many people who get by and own homes work 50+ hours per week and have for decades. Part time freelance is not exactly a path to baller status, know what I mean?
I dont just do freelance. Got another job and currently going to transition from a paid intern to full time status in an auto parts company. Not the exact dream career but still doing 3D modeling and animation. Also working on creating apps. Got thr gig through a professor. Sill. I get it. Work hard.

Wanna still have a life.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:03 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
If by "depression is normalized," you mean that a very large number of millennial consider themselves to be official "depressed," I would tend to blame that on pharmaceutical companies, which are intent as getting as many people as possible to consider themselves unwell, and to medicate themselves.
I can agree with that. Seeing segments on how drug companies persuade docs to prescribe their meds. Disgusting how it’s pushed onto patients for profit.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:10 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
I dont just do freelance. Got another job and currently going to transition from a paid intern to full time status in an auto parts company. Not the exact dream career but still doing 3D modeling and animation. Also working on creating apps. Got thr gig through a professor. Sill. I get it. Work hard.

Wanna still have a life.
I have worked 50+ hours per week since the late 80s. I have a life, and a darn fine one IMHO.

Working hard and having a life are not mutually exclusive. Just an FYI.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
There are about 83 million in the millennial generation. Seems a tad silly to make general assumptions about 83 million people.

The oldest millennials are now middle- aged.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-19-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 07:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Stupid poll choices. Doesn't even address the thread title. My 2 cents is that Millennials, just like every generation, exist on a continuum of good and bad. People are too complex to judge them solely on the years in which they were born.
I agree. Millennials aren't any different than the rest of us. Some good, some bad. Some have plenty of money, others don't. Some have great jobs, others don't.

Millennials were hit pretty hard by coming out of high school during an economic downturn. Lots of uncertainty there. But, by now, they are being hired instead of Gen X folks or Boomers because these groups are often seen as too old to have "fresh ideas" and they want more pay that Millennials will want for the same jobs.

The group that probably has it the best jobwise at the moment are the Xennials (between Gen X and Millennials) because they're seen as senior, but not old and they have experience, but not too much). They were generally done with college and working before the recession, so they have that advantage, too.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
I can agree with that. Seeing segments on how drug companies persuade docs to prescribe their meds. Disgusting how it’s pushed onto patients for profit.
The US and NZ are the only two countries that allow drug manufacturers to do direct consumer advertising.

The “ ask your doctor what, fill in the blank, can do for you” is effective advertising. Patients who ask their doctors about specific medications are substantially more likely to receive a script for the medication than a patient with similar symptoms who does not ask for medication, by name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies