Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A white person should go. Refuse to leave. Get hauled off for trespassing. Then all the Universities across "Murica can close for retraining.
But the left doesn’t believe that whites can experience racism .

It seems to be almost celebrated these days on the left .

Dear White People, Please Stop Pretending Reverse Racism Is Real
It's literally impossible to be racist to a white person.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k...racism-is-real
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 AM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Meant to add--according to a DNA test I am 1% sub-Saharan African. Am I a person of color in spite of my clown paint visage?
You have it all wrong.

The percent of your DNA is less relevant and your political shape is.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
awww

are you feeling left out?
I oppose your racism and your support for racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Black folks didn’t fight for the right not to be segregated. They fought for equal justice and equal constitutional protections under the law. It wasn’t about wanting to rub elbows with you.
I think you are having trouble distinguishing someone like Marcus Garvey from the entire civil rights movement. Garvey doesn't represent WEB DuBois or MLK Jr who did want integration. Garvey is on the losing side of history.

Quote:
There were anti discrimination protests...not anti segregation protests. If separate but equal had been an actual fact, there would’ve been no push to end segregation. You’re conflating the issues. Trust me, you’re not that popular...don’t flatter yourself too much.

Of course that’s news to you. Hell, what isn’t?

If the students got in, then they weren’t unqualified.
Not who you were talking to, but you seem to be the one conflating. (1) Segregation is a form of discrimination. (2) As discussed above, many Civil Rights leaders clearly wanted integration and people rubbing elbows.

On the college admissions, I think the other poster was trying to say that liberal college admissions judge people in part based on the color of their skin and less on the content of their academic character. This is why the groups that get the most preferential treatment in college admissions have significantly higher dropout rates in college - not because liberal colleges are oppressing these students, but because they had less academic qualifications to begin with.

This is why some colleges/professors have at least thought about race based grading.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:22 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
It will be interesting to see what action the school will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
How ironic, people fought and died for the right not to be segregated and now they want to be segregated. Let them have self imposed segregation. It's doesn't harm me whatsoever.
Really? Did you read the article? This event was organized by Latinos. This is not to say that some Latino were not involved in desegregation but that was largely pushed by African-Americans.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:36 AM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Dude, whites only pool parties go on all the time in this country. This IS the United States after all.
You appear to be conflating a publicly owned pool with a privately owned pool and an event open to anyone of certain races against a private party at a privately owned pool.

Unless you can share a link with us of an example where a college pool has an open event for all white people and only white people....you are conflating. And if you can find such an instance, I will oppose that racist segregationist party.

It is important to mentally grasp these particulars on this issue.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,582 times
Quote:
Black folks didn’t fight for the right not to be segregated. They fought for equal justice and equal constitutional protections under the law. It wasn’t about wanting to rub elbows with you.

Moreover, this party in particular doesn’t seem to have much to do with African Americans. Take a look at the darn picture in the link. There aren’t that many blacks at The Colleges at Claremont to begin with.
No, actually we did fight for the right to work, play sports, travel, dine, lodge, be entertained, and enjoy being in public right along side all other Americans regardless of color. We especially wanted to feel the freedom of equal association with whites. At that time, during the freedom rides down south, we had many white advocates (especially Jews) who joined in our struggle for equal acceptance into the American mainstream of society. We no longer wanted to be pushed along society's margins. Our primary goal in the south was to crush "Jim Crow" and legalized racial segregation.

We all felt extremely passionate and joyful whenever we as blacks ( "Negroes" back then ) and whites sang and joined hands together in protest. We truly felt the power, freedom, liberation, and compassion of being truly integrated...Even if it was just for the brief time of our intended most purposeful time of obstinate, deliberate, resistant, and peaceful protests.

It was indeed one of the most important, educational, and spiritually enriching phases of my entire life.

We all need to once again join hands and sing!

Last edited by zeliner; 04-18-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
I have mixed feelings about that.
I might feel left out and perhaps discriminated against. However, I can imagine how relaxed black people may be when there are no white people around to scrutinize them enjoying themselves.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
It looks like dumb college kids posted the Facebook event and then the party was desegregated and ultimately canceled. This is less about politics and more about the universal truth that college students do dumb things sometimes.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:18 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Dude, whites only pool parties go on all the time in this country. This IS the United States after all.
Yeah the advertise whites only? Maybe it happens but not that I am aware of. Private party at someone's home? Sure why not? Especially if you live where there just aren't many people of color.
You didn't answer the question so am I to assume that you are fine with segregation or are you only fine with whites being excluded?
My kids are bi racial so I am a little confused. When we have a party is it a whites only or people of color party?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Sure, the U.S. is a White-majority country. Yes, there is White privilege to certain things. However, there is privilege for many groups. Also, while us White people may not be able to comprehend the misery non-White people have long endured here, this pool party was still racist.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:10 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
It seems weird that people would only want to spend time with people their own skin color or ethnicity or whatever .

There are good and bad people of all races.

Race is a poor filter for deciding who to hang with .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies