Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Dumb.

One professor says something and all the sudden the entire school is questionable. GMAB. Its this type of mental ignorance that breeds anti-intellectualism today.
Well, I'd certainly re-think sending my kid to Fresno State if that person is an example of the type of faculty they employ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:17 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Well, I'd certainly re-think sending my kid to Fresno State if that person is an example of the type of faculty they employ.
I think every university has one like her. They probably just weren't high on something before going to their social media

Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think every university has one like her. They probably just weren't high on something before going to their social media
Oh, drugs makes it okay? So we can expect a lot more of this type of speech in the future?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Dumb.

One professor says something and all the sudden the entire school is questionable. GMAB. Its this type of mental ignorance that breeds anti-intellectualism today.
Her opinions and radical views were very apparent way before this. I would call her being hired as questionable.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Dumb.

Well, I'm not saying the school DOES have an issue with who it hires or a larger issue at all here (I don't know enough to say that) but this isn't the only professor who has gotten herself in hot water due to political comments recently. It is not just one professor.

This guy got himself into some trouble for "Trump must hang" tweets

Perhaps some of these professors should keep some of these more extreme views and thoughts to themselves. They are not immune, at the least not from public outcry. No matter what side you're on, saying crap like "Trump must hang" or that you can't wait until the entire Bush family dies is just ridiculous, extremist BS. As bad as the extremists on the far right who these professors would surely hatefully denounce. They're all the same, no matter which party they identify with when they're this crazy. I wouldn't want people who think things like that teaching me, personally.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2018 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-21-2018, 08:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, I'm not saying the school DOES have an issue with who it hires or a larger issue at all here (I don't know enough to say that) but this isn't the only professor who has gotten herself in hot water due to political comments recently. It is not just one professor.

This guy got himself into some trouble for "Trump must hang" tweets (among saying other crazy s*it).

Perhaps some of these professors should keep some of these more extreme views and thoughts to themselves. They are not immune, at the least not from public outcry. No matter what side you're on, saying crap like "Trump must hang" or that you can't wait until the entire Bush family dies is just ridiculous, extremist BS. As bad as the extremists on the far right who these professors would surely hatefully denounce. They're all the same, no matter which party they identify with when they're this crazy. I wouldn't want people who think things like that teaching me, personally.
It's actually very good they speak their mind so people can judge if it's the type of people they want teaching their kids.

We need more opinions, not less. Let people live and be judged with their beliefs.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Barbara Bush was like a Roman statue compared to this meaningless fame whoring creature. Her opinion couldn't matter less. Back to Mordor with you, Gollum.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's actually very good they speak their mind so people can judge if it's the type of people they want teaching their kids.

We need more opinions, not less. Let people live and be judged with their beliefs.
People can do what they want. I'm not trying to silence anyone, just suggesting that they think before they speak, or at least about how harsh and crazy they sound, and that they think before they assume they are free from all consequences. It's just that Jarrar and particularly the other guy I linked seemed ticked that what they are saying was even an issue - or see it as a non-issue completely covered by their free speech rights. They don't seem to recognize the consequences or how the public will react if their opinions get out. So maybe these people should refrain from sharing these opinions, if they cannot take the heat.

Jarrar was such a cocky ***** that she was taunting people by saying she could never be fired and that the president of the school is on her side, and tweeted the phone number for an AZ mental health crisis line, making it seem like it was a way to contact her. She flooded the call system with her thoughtlessness, or carelessness. She could not just share her opinions, but responded like an ****** to people who were responding to her. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen... she only made it worse for herself, which IS good for those who want to see the true colors of someone like her, but she may have screwed herself in the end. At the least, her continued tweeting certainly didn't help her case or help her gain much sympathy, because she just got worse as she went on. So, I would ask her... was it worth it? Even if she DOES keep her job, was it worth all this? Just to publicly share that she hates Barbara Bush after the woman died?

Someone as arrogant and lacking in awareness as her probably would think it's worth it. I would say it isn't, and though she likely doesn't recognize it herself, I'm embarrassed for her at her tirade. Maybe one day she WILL look back on it and cringe.

A Fresno State newspaper summed it up pretty well, IMO:

Quote:
“In this age of extreme ideological divide, we question why Jarrar felt the need to share her candid thoughts in the one place where anything productive rarely happens.” It concluded, “Jarrar chose poor taste over prudence.”
It's true. Twitter is a terrible platform. It's toxic, full of people just like her, spewing hate and extremely divided, often other extremist and dramatic, language at one another.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-22-2018 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-22-2018, 04:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Have you never worked with a real idiot? Someone you avoided every chance you got? I have at nearly every job I've ever had.

Those people certainly weren't representative of the companies I worked for and they sure in the hell weren't an example of me or other coworkers!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:03 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Melania and Barack were getting pretty friendly at the funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies