U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,195 posts, read 680,617 times
Reputation: 442

Advertisements

liberal consider themselves committed to racial justice But not in their neighborhoods.
Liberals say keep the poor homeless with their urinating,defecating and foul odors far away from us.
Isolate them throw them some crumbs' come election time bus them to poles to vote democrat and after
stick them back under a rock. MAGA

The Democrats’ Gentrification Problem

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/o...es-voters.html

 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Reputation: 14558
the cause of gentrification is not "The Democratic Party."

i'd chalk it up primarily to the overcapitalization of land, which is a complex problem with many different contributing factors.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,195 posts, read 680,617 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the cause of gentrification is not "The Democratic Party."

i'd chalk it up primarily to the overcapitalization of land, which is a complex problem with many different contributing factors.
Not according to the NY Times MAGA

The nation’s largest cities and metropolitan areas — home to a majority of Democratic voters — are at the forefront of the Democrats party’s most vexing racial, ethnic and class conflicts.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Not according to the NY Times MAGA
In fact, the article does not blame gentrification on democrats, it examines the effect that gentrification has on the democratic coalition.

it's a fascinating article, it's a shame your analysis of it is so partisan and facile.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 AM
 
12,103 posts, read 6,682,852 times
Reputation: 12951
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gentrification is a good thing. It rehabilitates and improves once-blighted areas. Lowers crime.
.
And moves the blight to other areas. Cities have always had poor people, it is easier for them to access transportation and services than in suburbs or rural areas.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM
 
15,402 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Reputation: 7988
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
In fact, the article does not blame gentrification on democrats, it examines the effect that gentrification has on the democratic coalition.

it's a fascinating article, it's a shame your analysis of it is so partisan and facile.
I agree with this.

I think the OP didn't read his own article and his comments are only in relation to the title of the piece.

Will note that some parts of the article, like the heavy use of racial categories in relation to gentrification is misleading. Black people moving away from an area is not always because they were forced out. Black people as a demographic in America have always been one of the most transient populations in the country and a majority of them leaving California and Chicago, which were mentioned often in this piece are not low income and they moved to southern locales usually where they can get more bang for their buck so to speak - they also move because for Chicago - the weather is a factor and for California, the high housing cots are a huge factor. I personally know people from various urban areas in CA (especially LA and Oakland) who moved from those area because housing costs are just not worth it to them - they can spend $250k in metro Atlanta or Houston for a home that would be $500-$1 milllion (or more) in California cities.

But I do agree that in urban areas the liberal "elites" are taking over the party in some cities and that they are similar to old school Republicans in a way versus old school Democrats (of the 1970s-1980s in particular).
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM
 
9,617 posts, read 5,939,901 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
liberal consider themselves committed to racial justice But not in their neighborhoods.
Liberals say keep the poor homeless with their urinating,defecating and foul odors far away from us.
Isolate them throw them some crumbs' come election time bus them to poles to vote democrat and after
stick them back under a rock. MAGA

The Democrats’ Gentrification Problem

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/o...es-voters.html

Gentrification? This is a problem red cities would LOVE to have. There are neighborhoods in red areas that are pure crap, have been crap, and will stay crap; with not even a tiny hope of improvement and would settle for just being crap without further decline.

It's curious you mention homeless, when gentrification has NOTHING to do with them. And you talk about isolating the poor, which is precisely the OPPOSITE of gentrification (it's richer residents moving into poor neighborhoods and living next to the poorer residents).

Like Le Roi said, the article DOES NOT blame the Democrats. At all.

Basically, you have no idea what you've read (if indeed you read the article). In fact, your understanding is 180 from what article said. Which is not surprising for a right-winger to completely miss the point of the subject that he/she posts.

.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,195 posts, read 680,617 times
Reputation: 442
Rich democrats are at the top, according to the article, with luxury services provided by the poor working class at the bottom.

Democrats the party of the downtown and edge city elites and their supporting staff of disproportionately foreign-born, low-wage service workers. MAGA
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Rich democrats are at the top, according to the article, with luxury services provided by the poor working class at the bottom.

Democrats the party of the downtown and edge city elites and their supporting staff of disproportionately foreign-born, low-wage service workers. MAGA
Like the article says, this is a byproduct of certain Democratic cities' success, a consequence of rapid economic growth.
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,195 posts, read 680,617 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Like the article says, this is a byproduct of their success, a consequence of rapid economic growth.
They don't share their success equally with the poor
Democrats believe the US economic system is biased towards the one percent, but not their own 1%. MAGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top